• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yulong Canary II (DAC+AMP)

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm seeing on Ali, it seems well buit and it claims to have a class A headphone amp, what would make it a bargain for the price around 250 dollars.
They claim the DAC section has been upgraded with some fancy FPGA, femtosecond, etc.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000...rchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_52

So, it was released about a month ago and nobody has measured it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Cause I'm really tempted if the class A lives up to the hype.

Canary II Features:

● Suppor DSD64 (DoP or native), DSD128 (DoP or native), DSD256 (DoP or native), DSD512 (native)
● Support PCM 44.1, 88.2, 176.4, 352.8, 705.6 KHz
● Support PCM 32, 48, 96, 192, 384, 768 KHz
● Support PCM 16, 24, 32 bit
● XMOS XU208 + FPGA + Femto second clock + Clock PLL
● ESS 9038Q2M DAC
● Support iOS, android, mac, linux and Windows system USB DAC
● More accurate volume control than 1st generation
● Input and output: USB in, optical in, coaxial in, line in, line out with volume control, 6.35 single end headphone out
● Acts as a headphone amplifier, a pure DAC or a pre-amplifier
● Fully discrete, DC coupled and JFET input class A headphone amplifier
● V ref is regulated separately with ultra low noise LDOs
● 36W switching power supply, supports 100~240V wide voltage
● Thesycon customized driver for Windows 7 and Windows 10
● USB input supports DSD64 - DSD512, PCM 32 - 768KHz, 16-32 bit
● Coaxial and Toslink input supports PCM 44.1 - 384KHz, 16 - 24 bit
● S/N ratio:-128dB
● Dynamicrange: 120dB
● Distortion:0.0004%
● Frequencyresponse: 20-30KHz -0.15dB
● Crosstalk: -120dB
● Headphoneoutput: 100 mW@600 Ohm, 200 mW@300 Ohm, 400 mW@150 Ohm, 1000 mW@32 Ohm

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see this is now on (Mass)Drop in the U.S. for $215.

I owned and older Yulong that I liked a lot. What prevented me from trying the original Canary 1 were reviews that indicated its high gain in the headphone amp section made use with sensitive IEMs very difficult. I do not see anything indicating this has changed.

dropbear

I approve their decision to add pre-outs. Now I just wish Aune will do it with X1S and everything in this world will be perfect. But the question remains the same, can it bring enough value to make it a better bet than a mere champion DX3 Pro (albeit I hope someone will send Amir a v2 version to re-measure). At the very minimum, I fancy the looks as well, I wish SMSL SP200 would look more like the classic OEM box someone slapped hard.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool design and colors - some may like it, and others not. I like it. If it performs well, it has good features that could attract many people:

DACArt.jpg

• All the necessary I/O ports on the rear and a 6.25mm headphone out on the front? +1!
  • Proper electrical certification icons on the back? +2!
  • If the volume control also works with the RCA output, this could be a nice DAC/preamp combo unit. +3!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it? I have just went through their product page and it doesn't mention RCA outputs are variable.

The X1s Pro can also be combined with a pair of active speakers or headphones to allow your system to reach its full potential.
I guess that does mean the output is variable.

OP
H

Human Bass

Mine will arrive sunday or monday, Im anxious now.

dropbear

I guess that does mean the output is variable.
That's the problem, it doesn't, only thing it says is that "Hey, squeeze the maximum from your active speakers by feeding them with a quality DAC!".
And it really does not have variable outputs, here is a quote from some random Head-fi review
And lastly, the RCA connections, right and left, for both line-in and line-out. Do note that the 3 inputs support different bit, sampling and DSD rates – the numbers are good, considering the price and entry level of a desktop device. Worth mentioning that it is possible to control the volume on the different inputs with the volume knob, while the line-out has a fixed volume.

OP
H

Human Bass

Mine just arrived!! And yes, the line out volume is variable, can be controlled by the same knob.

Agen_rus

In General, my detailed opinion about this DAC was deleted. But I strongly recommend that you do not look in the direction of buying it now. This new device. Wait for complaints and improvements. My complaints about him from this forum were safely removed.

Attachments

• question.JPG
    question.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 730

crabbos

I've been using this for a few weeks now and very pleased with the performance so far. The single nitpick I have is that if you're using sensitive IEMs and want to listen at very low volume, there is some channel imbalance until the pot is at about 7 o'clock (starting position is 6:30). Of course, you can always lower the source volume (in my case Foobar2000 on PC) so it's not a big deal. Apart from that, it's a straightforward dac/amp that sounds really nice.

confucius_zero

In General, my detailed opinion about this DAC was deleted. But I strongly recommend that you do not look in the direction of buying it now. This new device. Wait for complaints and improvements. My complaints about him from this forum were safely removed.
did you try to scale the amp with another dac?

archerious

Anyone do measurements on it?

Top Bottom