• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yulong Aquila II DAC and Headphone Amp Review

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are there any studies to show at what level a panel of listeners can tell the difference in A/B trials between top-level (better than 120 dB ) SINAD and lower-performing DACs? Where is the audibility point? If I A/B'd a Topping D90 (120 dB SINAD) with - say- a Topping E30 (112 dB SINAD) on 24-bit "silence" or quiet music with lots of pauses, adjusted for a good normal listening level to music or tones, would I hear any difference? Would a DAC with a SINAD of 90 dB be discernable in such an A/B? Of course the character of the noise and distortion in each DAC would play a role in A/B difference detection, but surely there must be some way to tell at what point SINAD degradation becomes hearable in an A/B.

Of course if you crank the playback gain way way up - and your playback amp has even better SINAD than the DAC which seems unlikely, then you could hear ANY noise from the DAC no matter how low in level, because you have cranked it up.

But if one uses "normal comfortable music playback level" for the amplifier, at what SINAD difference can one reliably hear the difference in SINAD between DACs?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any studies to show at what level a panel of listeners can tell the difference in A/B trials between top-level (better than 120 dB ) SINAD and lower-performing DACs? Where is the audibility point? If I A/B'd a Topping D90 (120 dB SINAD) with - say- a Topping E30 (112 dB SINAD) on 24-bit "silence" or quiet music with lots of pauses, adjusted for a good normal listening level to music or tones, would I hear any difference? Would a DAC with a SINAD of 90 dB be discernable in such an A/B? Of course the character of the noise and distortion in each DAC would play a role in A/B difference detection, but surely there must be some way to tell at what point SINAD degradation becomes hearable in an A/B.

Of course if you crank the playback gain way way up - and your playback amp has even better SINAD than the DAC which seems unlikely, then you could hear ANY noise from the DAC no matter how low in level, because you have cranked it up.

But if one uses "normal comfortable music playback level" for the amplifier, at what SINAD difference can one reliably hear the difference in SINAD between DACs?

I truly believe the Aquila and the DX7 Pro would likely be indistinguishable in a proper, level matched double blind test. All measured artifacts appear to be below the threshold for audibility.

Martin

milosz

Forum Donor
Is there any point in having a DAC with 122 dB SINAD when the best SINAD from an amplifier tested here is 95 dB? Do we like the better SINAD just because it shows great engineering, engineering quality we can't actually hear because follow-on components are all several orders of magnitude worse?

I just want to understand the context here.

(Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 SINAD of 95 dB see
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-lyngdorf-tdai-3400-amp-eq-part-1.6738/ )

raif71

Major Contributor
He's a better technician than a typist, for sure. Lets just all blink whilst he changes it to 19 "bits" .
I wonder if the next word processor if employed with AI instead of just grammar and spelling checks would catch such errors.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Is there any point in having a DAC with 122 dB SINAD when the best SINAD from an amplifier tested here is 95 dB? Do we like the better SINAD just because it shows great engineering, engineering quality we can't actually hear because follow-on components are all several orders of magnitude worse?

I just want to understand the context here.

(Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 SINAD of 95 dB see
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-lyngdorf-tdai-3400-amp-eq-part-1.6738/ )
122 I wouldn't think there is a point, but keep in mind that for every dB of digital attenuation you use, you reduce the real word SINAD of the digital portion of your signal chain by this amount of dBs. It get's more complicated with less than ideal gain structure.
edit: the best sinad for an amplifier tested here is 113 dB, the AHB2

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
... at least it's flat on top.

:)

It does seem a little 'spensive for what it does, and doesn't do. It looks nice, but not that nice.

jae

Major Contributor
Not bad, I was considering this unit as I prefer amp/dac combos rather than separate units. There is yet no successor to the DX7 Pro based on the A90/D90 improvements. Looks like I might have to get the RME if nothing is going to come out

NCX

Thank you for the review. It looks like the Singxer is the better, but uglier choice.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Im not sure if being a sound purchase is the same as a recommendation.

To be honest, I don't really know what being recommended here means anymore.

Other than it is somewhere near the top of the leader-board for now.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To be honest, I don't really know what being recommended here means anymore.
It means whether I would buy it if I were in the market for one now.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Not bad, I was considering this unit as I prefer amp/dac combos rather than separate units. There is yet no successor to the DX7 Pro based on the A90/D90 improvements. Looks like I might have to get the RME if nothing is going to come out

I got the RME just for the bouncy graphic EQ... ;)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a DX7 Pro and am happy to have it. But the conclusions seem harsh. It’s in the blue and plenty of power for headphones. Did I miss the impedance metric? In any case, there are plenty of $1k+ DACs that don’t come anywhere close. And there’s no audible difference to any DAC to the left of it anyway.

Vasr

Major Contributor
It means whether I would buy it if I were in the market for one now.

I guess then I don't really know what your criterion is for what you would buy if you were looking for one at any time.

If your criterion is to buy only those that are at the top of the leader-board at the moment in its class and price range (which could change depending on the order in which they are tested), then it isn't different from my second statement.

If the criterion is that you would not buy anything that is not the best in its class in that price range tested until now, it only applies to that point in time and whether it followed or led other better units in the review order which is totally arbitrary.

Part of the problem is that the recommendation sticks forever (in the reviews and in the search tool). If you were to review something on a day where there was nothing better in that price range and class until then, it would be recommended (assuming nothing is bad/broken) forever even if the others following them the next day or month were far better. Even worse, amongst the latter group the worst of them (even if better than the former recommended one) will not be recommended because relatively it is not near the top of the list at that point. But you would never know that if you searched in the equipment list for recommended items.

So the only meaningful interpretation of a recommendation at the time it is reviewed is that it is somewhere close to the top of the leader-board... that it is just an achievement race. If one were to use the lookup table, the right thing to do is to ignore the recommended tag because there could be items without the recommendation that may be better even if not necessarily the best in class at that time depending on the order in which they were reviewed.

While all of them could be perfectly fine for someone if the features match the requirements with no audible difference. :oops:

I am not saying there is necessarily a good solution for this. I don't know what would be and so it isn't a knock against the current practice. But I keep thinking there has to be a better way for people to come and find a list of "recommended" items to buy at any time without the list depending on review order. Especially since equipment is not necessarily tested in the chronological order of release.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Great review as always.

I thought it was a pretty good AK4493 or AK4497 implementation before I checked on their shop.
It's.... actually 9038pro....Oh well that jitter performance is unacceptable. And how is the SINAD performance so poor.....:facepalm:

Top Bottom