• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[YT] An Introduction to Denon Sound Tuning

DerRoland

When you ask yourself, why Denon receivers sounds better as everything else, here is the ultimative answer:

My suggestion:
I'm more concern about this working method to sitdown on a carpet and exchange hand choosen capacitors on some pcbs :facepalm: (made with the 6700?).

No good promotion to let customer spend thousands of dollar to new gear. I expect more science and clean working enviroments like Amir do.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was an earlier post here with a video showing sound masters at work in Europe spending a weekend auditioning capacitors for final tuning. Perhaps Marantz? I wish I could find it now. Tuning by audio masters rather than measurement was common BS* (*Before Science) years ago.

Sound United sales training seems to maintain Marantz/Denon differentiation at least in part through rival sound signature stories.

TimoJ

There was an earlier post here with a video showing sound masters at work in Europe spending a weekend auditioning capacitors for final tuning. Perhaps Marantz? I wish I could find it now. Tuning by audio masters rather than measurement was common BS* (*Before Science) years ago.

Sound United sales training seems to maintain Marantz/Denon differentiation at least in part through rival sound signature stories.
Or was it Yamaha? I also remember it but can't find it.

edit: I think I found it:

OP
DerRoland

DerRoland

After the video I think we need at least in Europe the same hearing experience as Mr. Geise.

Thats fine, "here and there a kind of little bit more body", Wow, I prefer to turn slightly the bass control instead of manipulate capacitors.
And at all, what when Mr. Geises ears are not equal to the rest of european residents?
We can measure 0,0001% distortion in audio gear, why we need hearing tests (ok, except loudspeakers)?
Am I the only one who think the amplifier should be unvisible, do nothing with the audio signal, except 1:1 amplified?

Thank the lord (or Amir) for ASR, the plattform of real audio science.

Ah I forgot, when I have scrubby sounding loudspeakers I want naturaly a soft conditioner for that, bingo :p.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I see, sound signature stories. :rolleyes:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Audio tuning, of course, has deep and significant roots in the pro audio domain.
1618236792792.png

Propheticus

Sounds like a very Japanese marketing ploy: focus on traditional notions of the value of a master's (sensei's) wisdom, which you should not question. Appeal for respect for craftmanship. Put on top a sprinkling of heritage, tradition and emotion and voilá the perfect explanation for the technical layman with money why your product must be good.

Seeing this is from the Sound United Training channel, do they teach this to their brand ambassadors/sales reps like it's the truth?
Smart actually. If the reps actually belief the marketing story, they'll explain/defend it fervently. A lot more convincing than someone who's clearly reciting a story they know to be false.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are objective reasons to employ "sound masters" beyond just marketing. Very few Denon/Marantz/Yamaha amplifiers could be described as "straight line with gain" where measurement is the only criteria. All of them have tone controls/loudness contours, and nearly all have DSP enhancement effects and the choices of which and how to incorporate them would require both experience and good hearing.

What surprises me is the focus on component level choices, capacitor specs and brand etc. I would think that nearly all final tuning would be done digitally these days.

Still, the story perhaps matters most. Decades ago Denon was sold as the only brand which was deeply involved with all aspects of music creation as well as reproduction, from Columbia studios/to pressing albums, to making home reproduction equipment.

I see Marantz's long time sound master Ken Ishiwata died in 2019, shortly after parting ways with the company.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Still, the story perhaps matters most. Decades ago Denon was sold as the only brand which was deeply involved with all aspects of music creation as well as reproduction, from Columbia studios/to pressing albums, to making home reproduction equipment.
I would posit that Yamaha had a better story to tell along those lines.

1618277781621.png

1618277839217.png

1618277881815.png

1618277991845.png

(since 1887, IIRC)
1618278115847.png

OP
DerRoland

DerRoland

The used loudspeakers in a "soundmaster" hearing must have 100-times more influence on the sound as a capacitor of an amplifier circuit.
The "generated" sound can be only valid with the same type of speakers, kind of installation, room size and damping conditions.
No one have exactly the same conditions at home. Thus is the glorious sound master work nothing as good paid promotion.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.....is the glorious sound master work nothing.....

Patience, grasshopper:

(Sound)Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?

Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.

Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?

Caine: No.

Po: Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?

Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?

Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Master Po: Close your eyes, what do you hear?

Young Caine: I hear music.

Po: Do you hear electrons being ruffled by poor quality capacitors?

Young Caine: No.

Po: Do you hear the strained cry of stressed electrons passing through low quality resistors?

Young Caine: Old man how could hear this in the music?

Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

With apologies to Bruce Lee, and GGroch.

Top Bottom