• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YPAO and R.S.C - how does the R.S.C part work?

jjk1

Hello All,

I’ve read on here a few times that “DSP can’t do anything about reflections” - I guess YPAO + R.S.C. may be the exception?

I’m mostly curious about how it works. My room is very small, in an old New England house. 725 cubic feet with an irregularly arranged listening position where the right side of each speaker is mostly blocked off (a bookshelf on the right, and kind of trapped behind a flatscreen on the left)

As you can see in the screen shot that the left speaker is about one foot farther away from the listening position than the right, but YPAO wants +.5db from the right speaker. I’m guessing that this is because I’m getting sound off the left side wall that is arriving early.

RSC really centers the dialogue when watching television, and focuses the stereo image, both with and without EQ in the frequency domain being enabled when listening to music. Without YPAO enabled, the room is a mess for TV sound, a real mess with music, particularly as the volume goes up. I like it.

Again - I’m curious if anyone knows how it works. What is it doing to the audio with regards to reflections? Looking for an explanation in layman’s terms. I’m not a scientist- just an old dude with a bad room and a Yamaha. I don’t have measurements, and I’m not particularly interested in taking them and adding a computer to my setup. I’ve recently retired from a job running maintenance for a global infrastructure that consisted of 15 thousand workloads across 100+ virtual and physical environments- I want nothing to do with computers for awhile at least:)

Thanks

Attachments

• 8BD92485-92BA-4D03-94C8-3CE6F9C645BD.png
    8BD92485-92BA-4D03-94C8-3CE6F9C645BD.png
    613.1 KB · Views: 130

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Yameyo

Hello All,

I’ve read on here a few times that “DSP can’t do anything about reflections” - I guess YPAO + R.S.C. may be the exception?

I’m mostly curious about how it works. My room is very small, in an old New England house. 725 cubic feet with an irregularly arranged listening position where the right side of each speaker is mostly blocked off (a bookshelf on the right, and kind of trapped behind a flatscreen on the left)

As you can see in the screen shot that the left speaker is about one foot farther away from the listening position than the right, but YPAO wants +.5db from the right speaker. I’m guessing that this is because I’m getting sound off the left side wall that is arriving early.

RSC really centers the dialogue when watching television, and focuses the stereo image, both with and without EQ in the frequency domain being enabled when listening to music. Without YPAO enabled, the room is a mess for TV sound, a real mess with music, particularly as the volume goes up. I like it.

Again - I’m curious if anyone knows how it works. What is it doing to the audio with regards to reflections? Looking for an explanation in layman’s terms. I’m not a scientist- just an old dude with a bad room and a Yamaha. I don’t have measurements, and I’m not particularly interested in taking them and adding a computer to my setup. I’ve recently retired from a job running maintenance for a global infrastructure that consisted of 15 thousand workloads across 100+ virtual and physical environments- I want nothing to do with computers for awhile at least:)

Thanks
I've been wondering how RSC works as well. It's a shame there's not more information easily available from Yamaha.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regular DSP can't do anything about reflections, because of the time-of-flight element. This may calculate the reflection time-of-arrival and time-shift the correction accordingly. That's just my guess. It amuses me that just a few years back audiophiles couldn't get enough of room reflections.

LanceLewin

Before you conclude you have a bad room consider that YPAO/RSC are just measuring and applying EQ filters through mathemagic. Nothing about your room changed and all of the reflections stayed the same.

This link has a few measurements: https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/11/14/yamaha-ypao-r-s-c-take-two-advanced-topic/
Good day! So, I was reading the Intro on EQ from the link above and noticed the reference to Home theater; but, what modifications to what I was reading will be made, if any, for dedicated 2-channel Stereo enjoyment. What would be my next step in EQ for my listening room. Thank you.

Yameyo

Good day! So, I was reading the Intro on EQ from the link above and noticed the reference to Home theater; but, what modifications to what I was reading will be made, if any, for dedicated 2-channel Stereo enjoyment. What would be my next step in EQ for my listening room. Thank you.
I'm a bit of a newbie on these forums, but if you stream your music from a PC then there's Mathaudio for Foobar which is very easy to use, or REW which can be used for a number of measurement/simulation/room correction tasks. There's also no reason you can't use a suitable AVR for stereo or a 2.1 setup and take advantage of built-in room correction.

Top Bottom