• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube Loudspeaker Demo Videos - Yes No Maybe?

itz_all_about_the_music

When reading about a certain loudspeaker here or elsewhere, I often find myself searching for and listening to YouTube videos that demo the speaker in question. Most of the time this is through an iPad Air -> Apple USB-C dongle -> Sony MH-750 earbuds chain.

I understand how there are a number of things in between the maker's experience when recording the video and mine when listening to it. Still I imagine that despite of this, quite a lot actually does get through. At least well enough to get a first impression.

---

For instance, I love the sound in this video but I do think to hear a certain honkiness to the singer's voice.

Is it reasonable to expect this to be the case in real life too with these?

---

Another example is Genelecs in a domestic setting. Most of the videos in this genre I struggle to sit out, as much as I would love to love them all.

Is this YouTube failing to get across something essential? Or is it the available videos themselves that are lacking? Or are the speakers in this application indeed just not for me?

---

What are your thoughts? Do you listen to speakers on YouTube? To what extent do you allow yourself to draw conclusions from what you hear? Have you ever met the speakers in the flesh afterwards and been surprised, pleasantly or otherwise?

Is it reasonable to expect this to be the case in real life too with these? HELL NO.

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
In the livestream, they talk to people in the chat. Everyone is chat is as amazed at the midrange/vocal quality of the Grimm LS1be. OK, I know what you're going to say, confirmation bias and what have you, but really were you not staggered by this speaker in the test like those seated were, I know I was. Listen to the track starting 1:56:00, that sound is something else. It is something else if I listen on my headphones or speakers (and neither of them are those speakers). Now I need £30k+ for some speakers....

I admit, there are plenty of crap videos and they don't relay much or anything of value (the Axpona one), but then you have videos like this one.

Crap examples exist, excellent ones too. This one could be improved, but I think it fulfils the purpose of demonstrating differences between speaker tonality and presentation, to a level where you could make a decision where to go next.

It depends what your bar is for work. Done well I think it can work, in that you can get much information you need, but yeah it will never be perfect.
It is possible that their comments have more value than the sound samples, if the purpose is to select speakers for audition. Because they were there, listening to the speakers. The samples are interesting, but for reasons already mentioned in this and other threads on this subject, such recordings can not be trusted to give a true presentation of the sound.

For aspects of sound reproduction that I find interesting to promote, it is useless. Unfortunately.

Kvalsvoll

Audio Company
Listen to the track starting 1:56:00, that sound is something else.
I have to agree. The recording of this speaker here manages to retain this sense of a solid and natural voice, a vocal that is present in one location, and some or all of that is gone on the other speakers. Tonality is very close to the original.

BUT - I am not saying that this is representative of the sound from those speakers. Maybe it is. The grimm also sounds better on the Fugue. And all speakers introduce coloration in the bass and lower mid frequency range.

Keep in mind, though, the grimm recording is a bit louder..

OP
Rednaxela

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
They’re nice, thanks. Though with these guys I’d prefer a little less conversation & a little more action.

Kvalsvoll

Audio Company
Loved this one
It's the same channel as the grimm-atc-d_d compare. From the comments, it looks like the audience find this useful. And maybe it is, when presented like this - different speakers, recorded in a similar way.

I checked to see what else there is on this channel. Many similar type of speaker comparisons, and some more. Some of the recordings are questionable, due to mic placement and speaker toe-in. Then there is a test for CD vs streaming. Recorded just like the speaker compares, with mics recording speakers playing in the room. That is not a good idea, if the purpose was to verify if there are differences.

Digby

Major Contributor
BUT - I am not saying that this is representative of the sound from those speakers. Maybe it is. The grimm also sounds better on the Fugue. And all speakers introduce coloration in the bass and lower mid frequency range.
True, but it seems statistically unlikely that everyone in the room, those in the chat and those of us listening on replay, would be able to appreciate this quality in the speaker, if it wasn't present in a significant sense when listened to in room.

I suppose there could be some kind of synergy of speakers, room and microphones coming together to create the effect, but that wouldn't explain the response of those in the room, they are listening to the speakers direct.
They’re nice, thanks. Though with these guys I’d prefer a little less conversation & a little more action.
I imagine they'd be open to some constructive criticism.

Firstly, I'd say they need to make sure the levels are the same throughout and then provide a link to recordings of just the tracks played through the speakers, so that they can be compared side by side in something like Audacity. I think they need a timer that each track on each speaker plays for x time (2 minutes/2.30?), rather than just when they feel like stopping it and to stick to a set selection of tracks. I can understand this may get a little tedious in person.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor

Last edited:

gitesh

The whole thing sounds a bit messy even through headphones, but less messy on the B&W. Most people that dislike the 706 seem to be basing their opinion on previous experiences with other B&W speakers, or worse still the opinion of others on this forum. :rolleyes: I think they sound amazing.
Hello. I have ordered bowers 706 s2 without demo as demo is not possible where I live . I will be pairing them with my old Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver. I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?

Penelinfi

It depends on the recording and room quality, as well as whether you have an inkling of what certain model sounds like, or you've heard that model before.
I bought speakers based on measurements, some reviews, and sound demo that seemed to have a good quality, through nice headphones.
It's not perfect but they do kind of sound like what I heard. You probably won't get nuances but can compare if there are any larger variations

Top Bottom