• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Youtube is running ads against my channel :(

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was browsing my youtube channel tonight and was surprised to see Youtube running ads against my videos even though I had not enabled monetization. I searched and I see that they changed their policy last year and will run ads against your content whether you like it or not. And of course they keep all the revenue.

At some level this is fine since they are providing a service for free. What I don't like is that I have no control over it, nor did I see any notification, stats, etc. In the page for monetization it clearly says I have not yet set up for such. Yet here we are.

Not wanting them to pocket all the money, I went ahead and applied for the program. Wish I could leave it unmonetized but there seems to be no way to do that. Sorry about that you all. Of course feel free to use ad-blockers.

nerdstrike

YouTube has really tightened the screws lately. Mostly with adverts for their subscription. The ultimate indignity is the "don't want your stream interrupted?" Interruptions.

Their music side cripples your audio codec, pauses every 15 minutes for manual input, plays ads, and holds chromecast to ransom for £10/month. It sucks!

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
@amirm - do you have any control over the advert/vendor selection? just interested.......

Katji

Major Contributor
Ads are according to Google Adsense tracking, personalised which includes localisation. Even without tracking [like if I exclude trackers] it is localised. Like it would be very silly and annoying if it was showing me ads for fast food specials and flights in USA or something.

I would happily enable ads for ASR channel but afaik there is no way to do it, only per website.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm - do you have any control over the advert/vendor selection? just interested.......

A likeable idea , but would it not be leading down the path Amir tries to stay out off ?

The slippery slope, they road pawed with good intentions ?

If one does this ,that would be weeding out snake oil business and simirarly confused sites/blogs/hifi magazines from ads and video suggestions OK ? But who are left even if you passively just trying to put down the BS and not actively promotes anyone else ? I bet a frothy cold beverage of golden colour with foam on top that the algorithms will start featuring Topping ads . The ad bots are ofcourse seeing the ASR site and makes the connections needed to see some commercially interesting patterns like well reviewed manufacturers may be interested in ads at the YouTube channel ?

All the people that dislikes amirs good work will probably misinterpret this as that he is in cahoots with Harman topping or whatever next :facepalm: which is ridiculous ofcourse .

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their music side cripples your audio codec, pauses every 15 minutes for manual input, plays ads, and holds chromecast to ransom for £10/month. It sucks!
Luckily youtube-dl is not affected, so one can download the video and play it locally.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How are other sensible audio blogger doing this ? Seek private advice from them .

I would not know what to do honestly.

threni

Major Contributor
I was browsing my youtube channel tonight and was surprised to see Youtube running ads against my videos even though I had not enabled monetization. I searched and I see that they changed their policy last year and will run ads against your content whether you like it or not. And of course they keep all the revenue.

At some level this is fine since they are providing a service for free. What I don't like is that I have no control over it, nor did I see any notification, stats, etc. In the page for monetization it clearly says I have not yet set up for such. Yet here we are.

Not wanting them to pocket all the money, I went ahead and applied for the program. Wish I could leave it unmonetized but there seems to be no way to do that. Sorry about that you all. Of course feel free to use ad-blockers.

I understand YouTube videos can become demonetized via various routes: swearing, use of copyrighted music...

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I use ad blockers but they dont work for youtube. It may be my browser or something else, i dont know.

Katji

Major Contributor
Definitely logo banner for intro.

Even patent the name "Audio Science Review" ...before someone else does something with it. On the basis that it is a unique new concept, audio reviews based in Science. :) [Do we have any honourable member/s who is a patent lawyer?]

Wombat

Master Contributor
Definitely logo banner for intro.

Even patent the name "Audio Science Review" ...before someone else does something with it. On the basis that it is a unique new concept, audio reviews based in Science. :) [Do we have any honourable member/s who is a patent lawyer?]

Register your trade mark. It may be cheaper than establishing first use rights.

Copyright(US) Free.

Brand protection(US). An overview.

Last edited:
Top Bottom