• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Youtube is running ads against my channel :(

IronPyrite

I'm no fan of big monopolies such as YouTube (Alphabet), but bandwidth, server, and storage infrastructure isn't free. YouTube Premium isn't that expensive, and will support content creators regardless if you use ad block extensions (I do).

If you want to be a rebel, install ad block extensions and don't pay for YouTube Premium. YouTube won't get ad revenue, but content creators won't get any money for their efforts as well.

Katji

Major Contributor
Noticed this yesterday:

1628632393951.png

youtube-premium-lite.jpg

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
EUR 7/month ($8.20 USD) is still way more than I'm willing to pay to watch amateur-generated content free of ads. That's almost as much as Netflix.

Tom

Katji

Major Contributor
I'm no fan of big monopolies such as YouTube (Alphabet), but bandwidth, server, and storage infrastructure isn't free. YouTube Premium isn't that expensive, and will support content creators regardless if you use ad block extensions (I do).

If you want to be a rebel, install ad block extensions and don't pay for YouTube Premium. YouTube won't get ad revenue, but content creators won't get any money for their efforts as well.

And yesterday I was watching some videos, a local lady that does nice Cape Malay cooking videos, and she said to please let the ads play through, complete, so she gets the revenue, and I felt sorry, I always forget I have uBlock- and I only have it because it was the only way I could see my Hangouts contacts on Gmail page, after they inserted a group video chat thing above it last year, pushed it below what displays on my x768 laptop.
I wish I could whitelist specific channels and websites.

Katji

Major Contributor
EUR 7/month ($8.20 USD) is still way more than I'm willing to pay to watch amateur-generated content free of ads. That's almost as much as Netflix.
I know, and it's even worse with degraded currencies. And I just don't use Youtube so much. ...Maybe...I'll make a mental note, switch uBlock off and on again, on Youtube. Just one or two websites and Youtube channels that I would rather support.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If YouTube creators are making content I want to watch I really have no issue with them making money from it. Some YouTube channels are better than conventional broadcast media, such as the Tank Museum channel.

Katji

Major Contributor
I wish I could whitelist specific channels and websites.
I can switch it off entirely for specific websites, of course... I just took a quick look at rules and filters but agh, I need to do some RTFM. no-strict-blocking [?] - although I doubt that is going to work with specific channels in Youtube.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On this topic, for a while monetization was defaulting to off as I uploaded videos. Now it insists that I tell it I don't want it on each upload. :(
Shoot, that's simple to fix. Post more reviews on ASR & make fewer videos.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Shoot, that's simple to fix. Post more reviews on ASR & make fewer videos.
It reaches different set of people. And I can explain things in a lot more detail than I can do in text.

typericey

What if the ads that appear on your channel are from AudioQuest, PS Audio, etc? :p

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^Can you report ads for spam or abuse?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Surely the reverse is true. A five minute video can communicate far less than a five minute read.
My videos have extended set of information than what I post in text (they are usually 20 to 25 minutes). I do that because it is easy for me to just talk about the topic than carefully create text. Since I do my videos in one take with no editing, they are also easy to do once I get started. There are also nuances that get lost such as my subjective impressions.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Wish I could leave it unmonetized but there seems to be no way to do that. Sorry about that you all. Of course feel free to use ad-blockers.

Google is good. You are good. I too am good because I am subscribed to YouTube premium and do not see any ads on YouTube. As for those without YouTube premium - it’s their choice to see ads, you have to pay Google and content creators for their work one way or another.

IronPyrite

My videos have extended set of information than what I post in text (they are usually 20 to 25 minutes). I do that because it is easy for me to just talk about the topic than carefully create text. Since I do my videos in one take with no editing, they are also easy to do once I get started. There are also nuances that get lost such as my subjective impressions.
The ASR YouTube channel was how I found this forum. To your point about nuances using video, its easier to be direct and candid, whereas doing so in writing may be interpreted as excessively cranky and abrasive. I appreciate how in your videos you call out useless over-priced garbage for what it is, with a smile on your face.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Do you expect large interest from high end cable companies :)
Just viewed an ASR video on an Audioquest cable and it has motivated me to attempt scrutiny of some of my cables.
Maybe, I can put my R&S UPV to use and learn some things!

fffffgggg54

pauses every 15 minutes for manual input,
There is an add on for Firefox, chrome, and edge called YouTube nonstop. Seems to fix the issue. Similar disruptive features seem to have become a trend with some websites. (Can I please check Yelp without having to download the app on my phone?)

DeepFried

I definitely appreciate the videos, I think they add a lot of value to the written review.

bit of a shame about the ads but that just par for the course, I think.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On this topic, for a while monetization was defaulting to off as I uploaded videos. Now it insists that I tell it I don't want it on each upload. :(
I checked some videos from your YouTube channel and they are not monetized. If you can still monetize, it would help the videos to get views on YouTube. I think that would be good payment for spending time to make the videos.

Top Bottom