• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube audio quality

OP
B

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you. Is the 'codec' the 'quality' in terms of sound? I'm watching/listening to a video from 2019 that has (a series of numbers) 248, and 'opus 251'. It sounds fine to me via a FiiO amp/dac and Grado SR80s

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Youtube red seems subjectively better. Though it may just be louder rather than better. I don't have analyzer tools.

eric-c

Forum Donor
it is also highly dependent on the quality of the recording. I had to upload videos of my kid playing piano for some music festivals that are now online because of Covid 19. I first used a Logitech C922 webcam which is a fairly decent webcam but the sound quality was not great. I looked at the recording properties and the best it can do is 2 ch 16 bit 32,000 Hz (FM Radio Quality). I bought a Rode NT USB Mini microphone and not only is the mic itself of a higher quality, the recording property is 1 ch 24 bit 48,000 Hz (studio quality). The clarity and frequency response is monumentally better. So I could have uploaded 1080P videos to youtube using two different mics and the sound quality would be vastly different.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom