• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube and Audio Re-encodes.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Does YouTube ever keep the master audio of videos for re-encoding? I ask since I've found very old, pre-2010 videos that have opus audio encodes. Are these re-encodes of the original master file, or just encodes of old vorbis/aac audio? I'm curious since it seems only a select few old videos have opus encodes, not all- and all videos that do either belong to channels that are prominent/influential in some way or were once viral.
Further, subjectively, they don't sound like 128kbs opus encodes of similar bitrate aac/vorbis audio. I'd like to analyze graphs of the output of my own opus encode of old vorbis/aac audio from YouTube vids compared to a graphs of opus audio ripped straight from YouTube at some point to see if I can find objective differences in quality.

Top Bottom