• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You're 12, never watched a single Star Wars movie/show - where do you start?

EB1000

Hi

I'm asking for my daughter who just turned 12 and never watched any star wars movie, nor a Disney+ star war show/flic. She was only made aware of some of the iconic characters from short clips on Tiktok.

Do you start from the original 70's Lucas-Film movies? The 2000's Lucas-film prequels? or the new Disney cr@p?

A detailed title watch list would be great.

Thanks.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The original trilogy, it has a beginning, a middle and an end and is still a terrific story, pure popcorn entertainment. The other movie I love from the SW universe is Rogue One, you could make a great sequence by adding that one before A New Hope.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I would suggest for a 12 year old girl to start with the first of the new movies and follow the story though... may even want to slip the TV series Obiwan in between before starting Star Wars. I think she will like the more family/adventure style of Phantom Menace and help get her interested, as the first SW may not be as much "fun" and may come across as a bit old to her.

JSmith

Morla

Forum Donor
Sorted by date of appearence in my opinion. That way one can comprehend (if not now then later) what lead to the current state of Star Wars easier. I remember what impact "A New Hope" had on my childhood and maybe today for some it's more like an old movie with actors sporting a silly haircut.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Start with original trilogy, and if she likes, then prequels. That's it.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I did. Never watched anything else about Star wars
Understandable. I am not sure if the original trilogy can have the same impact on people if you watch the first time when you're older (I am sure, it can't). I think the real magic happens when you see it as a kid, maybe 7-11 years old. Still you could give New Hope a chance, the originals are different from the crap they made later.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I know nothing about SW, but my brother in law initiated my kids last week with something older than myself. From 1977 they told me. Must be the earliest motion picture they had ever seen. I trust he knows what he is doing.

P.S.: They liked it very much!

threni

Major Contributor
Sorted by date of appearence in my opinion. That way one can comprehend (if not now then later) what lead to the current state of Star Wars easier. I remember what impact "A New Hope" had on my childhood and maybe today for some it's more like an old movie with actors sporting a silly haircut.
Heh, yep. Production values have moved on a little since then. But if you follow this approach, be sure to be prepared to skip to the newer ones (Rogue One onwards) if they don't like the subsequent Lucas-produced ones which are all a boring, confusing mess.

One thing I'll say about those bad movies is that they inspired some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen on YouTube:

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I'm asking for my daughter who just turned 12 and never watched any star wars movie, nor a Disney+ star war show/flic. She was only made aware of some of the iconic characters from short clips on Tiktok.

Do you start from the original 70's Lucas-Film movies? The 2000's Lucas-film prequels? or the new Disney cr@p?

A detailed title watch list would be great.

Thanks.
I say ignore the whole thing. It’s history.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So many promising actors careers ruined by these films. Go with the first two. At least Harrison Ford made it out alive. :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Just do this:
tumblr_nbxfelJEyK1t1hucso1_r1_1280.jpg

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Original trilogy are good stories, made millions of people fall in love with SW. That gets my vote.

Top Bottom