• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your wisdom on the next direction of my system!

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm debating a restart VS tweak and would love to hear anyone thoughts.
I would appreciate any guidance or wisdom.

As an aside, I am on an overseas assignment for about another 6 months, about an hour north of Tokyo. So, I feel I have a pretty unique opportunity to listen to many speakers here, even if just in a store it is better than nothing. Just the Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara must have maybe 500 speakers you can listen to. It's pretty unreal walking around the stereo floor of that store. I don't even know where to go to listen to anything back home (Columbus) at this point. So, I'm trying to get some direction while I'm here to go listen to some speakers around Tokyo. We can take the bullet train down on any weekend we wish so it is very easy to go do while we are here.

Current system that I was using in the US and now here is KEF LS50W, that's it.
For the last few months in the US and now packed up in storage there: ZU Omen DWs w/NAD C338.
I do most of my listening via streaming, so need something there.
My goal is... a little unclear, but I've maybe some upgradeitis at the moment. Maybe something along the lines of, more impactful bass, add room correction... and maybe 'better sound', thought the KEFs are pretty good. I like the 1 package aspect of the LS50Ws... but no room correction.

Option 1: Sell the ZU/NAD combo. Just get a sub, hook it up to the sub out on the KEFs and send it.
1a: Room correction in line for just the subs.
Seems like option of least resistance and a 'reasonable' upgrade path. But doesn't get me to full room correction, or even up to room mode frequency limits.

Option 2: Blow it up, sell everything. Invest a few more grand. Thinking something like MiniDSP SHD+ some ~$1k class-d amp. Going SHD+Big boy/girl pants class-d amp will probably be end-game (at current technology levels) for me.
$1~2k for speakers, $500~$1k for (1)sub.
I'm leaning towards some bookshelf on stands + 1 sub. My thinking is if you just talk about the speakers you get a higher quality book-self compared to towers. Towers at this price point will still not be full range. Bookshelf + stand may take up the same 2D space, but not 3D space. Separate sub allows better placement in room, though placement will be pretty limited due to room size/layout. 2 subs is probably not an option. I don't love the idea of going from1 box (KEFs) to many.
Think, something like Revel M16/M105/M106+any Rythmik.

2a: Same as above, but instead of going SHD, keep the NAD and use pre-outs to miniDSP 2x4. Maybe use NAD amplification or still get an external amp if it seems like the speaker I get would benefit. More reasonable upgrade path rather than hitting the reset button.

Option 3: Buchardt A500 w/hub. Maybe add a sub later. I have time on my side since I will be doing all of this later summer/fall. So hopefully by then some reviews and independent measurements will be out.

Any of these options I can probably hide the components under a near by under the steps storage area to get closer to the simplicity of a 1 box feel.

Tks

Major Contributor
I mean it's tough to give advice for a psychologically based desire. Upgradeitis isn't something that you can quell much, it must be understood for the illogical nonsense that it is. The way I take care of this problem is find what I want and not something I compromise with(I do this with any hobby). If I can't afford it, I simply wait until I can. In your case, the only question you have is how bad do you want full room correction capability. But with respect to the speakers of choice - that's just firing blind unless you have measurments for the speakers.

The only legible thing I can see here that you want, is "more impactful bass". And from that you're just juggling about capabilities of sticking with what you got, and adding on what's missing as much as you can.

I'd dump the NAD and Omen, seeing as how the NAD lately didn't leave a good impression with the recent one measured. Go the full route and get whatever you need to realize the capability you want now, that also allows for the flexibility you hope to be able to adapt with any gear swaps in the distance future.

The miniDSP 2x4 doesn't tickle my fancy tbh, it's measurements are pretty meh for something that should be doing DSP work (I expect the device to be cleaner potentially than my source, though this is seemingly too tough for companies for whatever reason). Also when you say "streaming" what do you mean? Streaming from your phone/tablet from an online service music subscription? Or steaming from another computer that houses all of your files on some storage device?

At the end of the day, I would simply go with whatever quells that upgraditis. It varies from person-to-person, but to me it seems, some people when they try something they want more - that opens the flood gates and they start going for broke chasing even harder, while others finally hit their goal and they're done with that aspect of the activity. So depending on what kinda person you are, I say you need to work from that. That seems far more important seeing as how you don't particularly know what it is you actually want concretely.

But since I'm not a speaker person much (I own a pair of Vanatoo T1E's, and have one of these coming in). Does good enough even without a sub to entertain guests with passive music in the background when a few friends come over for dinner or whatnot. You could say I'm probably not the person to be giving speaker advice as someone who doesn't make use of them much to begin with.

Now I'm wondering if this post was pure spam or not... :facepalm:

A800

The way I would approach this "problem" would go something like this:
"What do I want from a system?"
"How do I want it to perform?"
State a clear goal.
Then go from there.
The whole chain needs to support the end result and the weakest link is the weakest link ;)
Usually this is more effective than just playing dice with components.
Once you are clear about the end result there comes a lot of research and testing and possibly some diy, too.
Good luck.

OP
T

Trouble Maker

Thanks so far everyone!
This is the first time I'm planing in/towards the deep end of hifi, so I'm trying to figure things out as I go along.

Part of this mental exercise is to see if it makes sense to hit the reset button; Option 2. It seems like the most extreme option. But, I think it will help me get to where I want more quickly with the least pain and cost long term. Baring massive advancements the SHD should be end game for me. Something like one of the '400 watt' class-d amps will definitely be end game for me; our living room is only 12*20*8 (about 3 doors worth of openings to other rooms) and I don't usually listen that loud. Then, speakers and sub will be what I can afford in my budget. I always feel in every market there is some pretty strong knee point in the price VS value curve and for now that's around where I feel I'm targeting. I suspect in 5-10 years I will upgrade to something bigger and better as my budget is more comfortable with spending a significant amount more.

I'm usually a buy once, forever if I can, or until is at the end of it's useful life kind of person. I hold onto things in my hobbies much longer than most; cars, skis, bikes. So, trying to use the wisdom of you all to avoid mistakes you've already made and I've probably half way made at this point. :)

Love this house, but unfortunately not much flexibility of layout of living room. Please excuse the terrible photos our realtor took for the rental during our overseas assignment. Believe it or not, these were not the worst ones, there were a few others we had to retake they were so washed out.
living room1.png

living room2.png

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Option 2 is the best upgrade. If, you can afford it. But, sleep on it. Make sure this is the time to do it. Make sure it's not just upgraditus.
But, to be perfectly honest, I've been dreaming of that system also.

Lavawood

Forum Donor
Relax and listen to all that great gear! Something will grab you and your path will become clear. I was brought up with the “speakers first “ mentality. There’s so much affordable in the front end now...I wouldn’t sweat that. A great deal on killer speakers in Japan...that’s a journey I’d love to take.

I got to spend 3 weeks in japan, in 1997, I was an idiot, I spent the entire time eating Kobe beef shabu shabu and soaking in hot springs.
I should have been doing this:
https://www.vinyloftheday.com/japan-listening-bars-for-audiophiles/

if I could talk to my 30 year old self. I’d say get into single ended triodes and open baffle speakers. Build a custom sub that takes your breath away.

Last edited:
OP
T

Trouble Maker

Relax and listen to all that great gear! Something will grab you and your path will become clear. I was brought up with the “speakers first “ mentality. There’s so much affordable in the front end now...I wouldn’t sweat that. A great deal on killer speakers in Japan...that’s a journey I’d love to take.

I got to spend 3 weeks in japan, in 1997, I was an idiot, I spent the entire time eating Kobe beef shabu shabu and soaking in hot springs.
I should have been doing this:
https://www.vinyloftheday.com/japan-listening-bars-for-audiophiles/

if I could talk to my 30 year old self. I’d say get into single ended triodes and open baffle speakers. Build a custom sub that takes your breath away.

This might not be a popular opinion here... but you 100% did the right thing with only 3 weeks over here.
We just spent the winter going to as many ski area as we could, quite a few of them also onsen area; Nozawa Onsen, Zao Onsen, etc. We went to 7 different ski areas this winter. Many of the once in a lifetime experiences we will get while we are here.

I will have to check some of those out while we are in Tokyo sometime!
I definitely need to get to some of the hifi shops and take the time to listen to many different speakers in the price range I'm targeting.
2 goals now in Japan; hone/grow my listening skills, hone/grow my sake tasting skills... all in the name of science to figure out what I like. ;)

One of my favorite local bars is a hip-hop/rap bar that one of my old bosses introduced me to on a trip here.
https://yujicafe.business.site/
The music on a weeknight is not loud, you can easily talk to people next to you, but you can feel the bass down in your gut. It might be one of my inspirations for wanting some righteous bass in my system.

This town is famous for Jazz music/bars, so most bars you go into will have Jazz playing. Honestly Jazz is just OK for me, but it's always nice to have some good background music on a decent system while you have a good cocktail!

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Thanks so far everyone!
This is the first time I'm planing in/towards the deep end of hifi, so I'm trying to figure things out as I go along.

Part of this mental exercise is to see if it makes sense to hit the reset button; Option 2. It seems like the most extreme option. But, I think it will help me get to where I want more quickly with the least pain and cost long term. Baring massive advancements the SHD should be end game for me. Something like one of the '400 watt' class-d amps will definitely be end game for me; our living room is only 12*20*8 (about 3 doors worth of openings to other rooms) and I don't usually listen that loud. Then, speakers and sub will be what I can afford in my budget. I always feel in every market there is some pretty strong knee point in the price VS value curve and for now that's around where I feel I'm targeting. I suspect in 5-10 years I will upgrade to something bigger and better as my budget is more comfortable with spending a significant amount more.

I'm usually a buy once, forever if I can, or until is at the end of it's useful life kind of person. I hold onto things in my hobbies much longer than most; cars, skis, bikes. So, trying to use the wisdom of you all to avoid mistakes you've already made and I've probably half way made at this point. :)

Love this house, but unfortunately not much flexibility of layout of living room. Please excuse the terrible photos our realtor took for the rental during our overseas assignment. Believe it or not, these were not the worst ones, there were a few others we had to retake they were so washed out.
View attachment 55480

View attachment 55481
I don't believe you. Renting house with your gear. Come on

OP
T

Trouble Maker

I don't believe you. Renting house with your gear. Come on

What? This was while we were still living there, just pictures to show the house for rental. Exactly like if you were still living in your house and showing it to sell. I already sated earlier that the Zus and NAD are in storage while we are here. The company moved our stuff; some items here (whatever we wanted within some volume limit) and most of it to storage while we are here.

Top Bottom