• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Top 5 Demo / Test Tracks

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Good point. An ideal system can go to clipping, and then be steadily dropped in volume until almost inaudible, and subjectively always remain the same. Obviously, the volume has changed ;) - but the emotional response to the playback continues, you can still hear that everything remains in place ...

I actually value the ability to sound good at 70dB higher than the ability to sound good at 95-100 dB as I rarely listen at the higher end of the loudness spectrum.

fas42

Major Contributor
In that sense, a good solo piano piece that spans the full spectrum of dynamics is a good indicator. Surprisingly to some perhaps, I put these on at almost full volume - and if it starts with a delicate intro, many would say, "It needs more gain!" ... until, along comes a crashing chord ;).

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You do know your not in control of your sub conscious mind, and just how much of what we think are our own conscious decision are actually bugger all to do with us... Don't you Frank?:confused:

If your mind was a car, the conscious part would be the tyres... Not the steering wheel!

Damn, that's concise dude. Luv it.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In that sense, a good solo piano piece that spans the full spectrum of dynamics is a good indicator. Surprisingly to some perhaps, I put these on at almost full volume - and if it starts with a delicate intro, many would say, "It needs more gain!" ... until, along comes a crashing chord ;).

Which is why you have a solo piano piece on my track list. ;)

fas42

Major Contributor
I was just reminded of another subjective evaluation tool, the "sub-conscious" one ... stand near the system, put on some higher complexity music, at a solid volume - and start talking to someone about some matter where you have to think as you talk, not idle chatter ... how long can you last before your hand starts twitching to get to the volume control, to "turn it down!" ...

ChrisH

P.S. I've never heard a Mahler opera. If I'm going to listen to one, which one to start with?
The closest Mahler came to composing an opera is the second part to his 8th symphony. It's the final act of Goethe's Faust.

Mahler spent his entire life in the opera house. His favorites to conduct are: Wagner's Tristan und Isolde, Beethoven's Fidelio and Mozart's DePonte opera's.

RogerD

Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack varese sarabande
Frank Sinatra & Count Basie Reprise
Virgil Fox Living Stereo
Mitch Miller Tip toe through the tulips Columbia
A night in San Francisco John McLaughlin
diana krall live in paris A case of you
Mahler's 8th Finale EMI

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
1. Dr John ' creole moon' track 1 you swore
Just grabbed the same UPC off ebay for $5.90 shipped.
Got the CD in today. Just ran thru it on my Senn HD-650 cans.
Awesome sound quality for a commercial release.
Thanks Again

PS, Just posted the DR numbers on the database. Can't believe there's not a single other Dr John recording up there. :(

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack varese sarabande
Frank Sinatra & Count Basie Reprise
Virgil Fox Living Stereo
Mitch Miller Tip toe through the tulips Columbia
A night in San Francisco John McLaughlin
diana krall live in paris A case of you
Mahler's 8th Finale EMI

Hey that's 7...you cheated

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Aw, c'mon, you're better than that!

There's 35 albums there.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Dr.+John&album=
OPPS, Didn't put a . after Dr in my search. Should have figured there was something wrong.
You'd think the search engine would know that?

Plus, just now went to edit my entry and found I'd uploaded the wrong file. o_O
Must have been having a senior moment :(
Here comes the whipping. No good deed goes unpunished. :eek:
All's well now.

Top Bottom