• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your spending sweet-spot of audio equipment??

momo7G

The technology in audio is getting better and better, it is quite difficult to get a higher spec without forking out tons of money.
The top tier DAC and middle tier one may have only 5 db difference between them, but the top one might cost hundreds more.

As the law of diminishing apply, where is you sweet-spot for audio equipment?? Such as DAC, amp, speakers, or headphones?
For myself, I think DAC is about 200 USD, headphone amp perhaps the same amount of money.
Headphone and speakers, I see the performance starts to drop after 400 or more... but of course it is very personal idea, and my speakers experience only limited to powered speakers...

What do you guys think about the most bang for your buck limit??

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The bang for buck has decreased for some items I might desire, increased for others, over the last 30 years or so.

Put me down for "I dunno."

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
Speakers - passive: $500 - $2,500USD
Integrated (preferably networked) Amplifiers: same as the above

Speakers - active: same as above, while excluding an amp.
DAC (preferably networked) - for active speakers only, if they've not one onboard: $100 - $250USD

Headphones: Sony MDR 7506 for $100USD (I won't use anything else. As matter of fact, I've a set I've owned for over 20 years now.)

Sources: Any computer will do, and that includes smartphones or tablets, as long as it's networked, has permanent storage, an optical drive (optional, for ripping), USB ports (optional, as in if the amp/DAC is networked then I won't really need USB to send audio), and sufficient processing power to calculate whatever DSP I wish to use: $100 - $500USD

So my upper sweet spot is $5,600USD for a complete system. However, if I wait patiently for sales - I won't buy used - I can cut that in half.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
$1 more than I have already spent.

Daverz

Major Contributor
From the reviews here so far, it seems that

DAC: $250 will get you a very well-measuring balanced DAC.
AMP: $1300 will get you a very well-measuring balanced stereo amp or pair of balanced mono amps.

Top Bottom