• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Preferred Amplifier Topology

Vacceo

Major Contributor
At the current stage, audible improvements in amps are, in practical terms, moot. However, power used during idle and size are elemente with a bit further margin of improvement, and those in turn, is super interesting for active speakers or multichannel amps.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just wish for a small and efficient solution around 100W with the ability to double down to 1 ohm;)
Seconded.
ohyeah.gif

tomtoo

Major Contributor
AB guy here, D works for subwoofers.

So this amp works only for subwoofers?

Could you explain why?

usersky

Forum Donor
So this amp works only for subwoofers?

Could you explain why?
It works for whoever *prefers* to pay for it, key work here, as in title of the thread is "prefer". I won't send all the ultrasonic garbage associated with class D to my twitters, that's my preference. I know there are some hardcore fans of class D here, me not being in that camp.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
AB with access to gain on both. For stage, own and generally keep maintenance easy enough and minimal. From typology standpoint G - E, H is blurry but any mass produced good performing and problem free SoM will be good regarding switch/spare ones in future. Good design with good; authended power section, condensers, cooling, shielding should be more of a preference then class it self.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I won't send all the ultrasonic garbage associated with class D to my twitters, that's my preference. I know there are some hardcore fans of class D here, me not being in that camp.
1631647875837.gif

Oh boy, he said it!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It works for whoever *prefers* to pay for it, key work here, as in title of the thread is "prefer". I won't send all the ultrasonic garbage associated with class D to my twitters, that's my preference. I know there are some hardcore fans of class D here, me not being in that camp.

I cant see any ultrasonic garbage in the measurements. I would not hear it, but i not even can see it in the measurments? Can you explain where you can see it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I cant see any ultrasonic garbage in the measurements. I would not hear it, but i not even can see it in the measurments? Can you explain where you can see it?
I think he is referring to the ~50KHz ranging to ~600KHz switching frequency of class D power supplies and the audio section of the class D amp too. A person will never hear that and the tweeters' mechanical roll off will stop any chance of it being audible as well.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think he is referring to the ~50KHz ranging to ~600KHz switching frequency of class D power supplies and the audio section of the class D amp too. A person will never hear that and the tweeters' mechanical roll off will stop any chance of it being audible as well.
So it's not there, and you couldn't hear it even if it was there, and your speaker couldn't render it anyway.
And yet @usersky says he doesn't like whats not there.
1563904902768.gif

Something doesn't add up.:p

All jokes aside, @usersky, you need to blindly AB check this. After a few minutes of switching between a well executed class D and AB you probably will not be sure which is which.

Holmz

Major Contributor

8 out of 10 cats hate em, and 9 out of 10 dogs will howl about.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It makes for an interesting comparison with the ultrasonic output from DSD, high sample rate PCM, and DACs using noise shaping.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It makes for an interesting comparison with the ultrasonic output from DSD, high sample rate PCM, and DACs using noise shaping.

Yes take this with a high bandwide a/b design than the risk of having ultrasonic garbage on the tweeter is higher than what you get after the class d output filter.

tomchris

Most people are irrationally focused on high frequencies and high frequency content, but anything over ~15kHz is really academic at most. Just try to highpass filter some music around this frequency at hear how little information you are able to hear between 15-20kHz. At this point we’re pastime shopping for specs out of boredom. Ultrasonics? Simply a waste of time and money.

Now an elegant amplifier capable of driving low efficiency current hungry speakers and I am all ears…

Holmz

Major Contributor
… Ultrasonics? Simply a waste of time and money.

I thought that with IMD it is possible that ultrasonics can manifest themselves down into a range where one might hear their effects?

Lambda

Major Contributor
Topology?
Interleaved multi phases synchronous (current mode) class D
7-Figure10-1.png

Think this is cool technology with lots of room for improvement and miniaturization especially with GaN fets.

JFet class A amps are also cool and i like them because they are like an solid state vacuum tube.
but it alsways depends on what you optimize for.

Size end efficiency make Class D very attractive for manny high power applications.
But for some low power and esoteric stuff efficancy and size is no concern.

Last edited:
Top Bottom