• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your opinon on the AudioLab M-dac (semi vintage)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The DACs have improved enough that you could hear a slight improvement if your gear is capable although the feature set of the Audiolab M-DAC is very nice and might be difficult to match without spending more that 400 Euros. I'm in North America and so I'm not up to speed on what is readily available in Euroland so I'll leave the selection to peeps that are in the know.

mansr

Major Contributor
It has the features that i need (2 coax, 2 optical, varying output level) but is is very old (2012).

https://www.whathifi.com/audiolab/m-dac/review

Some reviews are positive but i read one saying it sounded like crap.

The DAC chip is very old so i wonder how it compared to a modern DAC around 400 euros.
I recently fixed one of those, which involved replacing about 100 capacitors and a few relays. It's a common problem, apparently, so if you're planning on getting one, try finding a unit that has been similarly services, or you've got that to look forward to.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the USB implementation is slightly broken and doesn't work right with Linux (glitches every second or so). It does work with Windows 10. No idea about Mac.

XpanD

Forum Donor
It has the features that i need (2 coax, 2 optical, varying output level) but is is very old (2012).

https://www.whathifi.com/audiolab/m-dac/review

Some reviews are positive but i read one saying it sounded like crap.

The DAC chip is very old so i wonder how it compared to a modern DAC around 400 euros.

I have one for my bed listening setup, and subjectively I've never heard any issues with it. It's also a quality-feeling unit, although the power brick is a little cumbersome. The stereo level meters are cool, too.

One very important thing to note, though: These units suffer from a nasty issue often known as the ESS left channel locking bug, where one channel will suddenly start producing very loud white noise out of nowhere. From what I remember this is an issue in the DAC chip itself, so not something you can work around. If I had to guess I'd say it happens for me maybe once every 200-300 hours of use (with D3E set to Full Suppression and the newest custom firmware), but it's genuinely terrifying when it does happen. Switching inputs on the remote clears it.

I recently fixed one of those, which involved replacing about 100 capacitors and a few relays. It's a common problem, apparently, so if you're planning on getting one, try finding a unit that has been similarly services, or you've got that to look forward to.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the USB implementation is slightly broken and doesn't work right with Linux (glitches every second or so). It does work with Windows 10. No idea about Mac.

What was the issue in the one you fixed? On mine the relays will occasionally stick when starting (going by the sounds coming from inside the unit), causing it to not produce any sound. I've also had it boot up to communication errors once or twice, though a reboot always cleared that. (and my unit's seen some abuse, a spill included)

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
What was the issue in the one you fixed? On mine the relays will occasionally stick when starting (going by the sounds coming from inside the unit), causing it to not produce any sound.
Many of the electrolytic capacitors had leaked, so I replaced all of them just in case. The relays were a bit sticky, and the owner opted to have them replaced (they were cheap).

OP
Y

Yasser 06

Thanks to everyone, I won't get one not because of the performance or features but because :

- USB is buggy and does not follow audio-usb norm/protocol and so it does not work well with Linux (both my Pi and my desktop run some linux)
- It seems that some components (capacitor) age badly or leak, and since it is a second hand which can as old as from 2013 it is a risk.

Top Bottom