• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your loudspeakers are too small!

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
And way smaller than megadynamics.
Which is undoubtedly related to megabass.

255183764_3dcd16be-522a-4245-907f-8556305cf5d7.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Say... has anyone mentioned punchy bass in this thread?
You know... I am not sure when the groundswell of desire for low frequency violence began...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Say... has anyone mentioned punchy bass in this thread?
You know... I am not sure when the groundswell of desire for low frequency violence began...
Among the ancient Egyptians, or so it's said:

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it my imagination, or do you have the Werner Herzog DVD collection?
Indeed... Big fan myself... Tho I leant one of the discs to a friend who has yet to return it...
"Little Dieter Needs to Fly" iirc

BobbyTimmons

Indeed... Big fan myself... Tho I leant one of the discs to a friend who has yet to return it...
"Little Dieter Needs to Fly" iirc
Oh that's cool, I recognized the box cover because I used to have that set! It's cool there are still people with the same boxset. I remember buying it like it was yesterday. It comes in two boxes. Although I upgraded to the blu-ray boxset from BFI which is all in a single box. https://shop.bfi.org.uk/the-werner-herzog-collection-blu-ray-box-set.htmlset.html

Ambient384

The Devialet Phantoms show that speakers can be small but provide a full frequency range (although they are not perfect ofcourse). Bass extension is a matter of moving air, so if your construction is rigid enough and you pump in enough power, you can move enough air to provide a 14Hz to 27kHz range like the Phantoms do.
I just noticed there using full metal diaphragms wonder if that would give them Planar qualities?.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I just noticed there using full metal diaphragms wonder if that would give them Planar qualities?.
Nope. "Planar qualities" (whatever you mean by that) are endowed by the physical dimensions and drive mechanisms and not by the diaphragm material.

Ambient384

Nope. "Planar qualities" (whatever you mean by that) are endowed by the physical dimensions and drive mechanisms and not by the diaphragm material.
I was meaning that the driver used in those speakers are closer to BA tech than DD. Why are they using flat metal diaphragms that common with BA drivers like in the ER4XR?. I still wish BA tech made It way into Speakers to see how they fare when pushed very hard.

Newman

Major Contributor
OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Good, at least there seems to be general agreement that microdynamics is a joke. Took long enough, but we got there in the end.
There are many things on this forum that are a joke, I'm deadly serious about that.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good, at least there seems to be general agreement that microdynamics is a joke. Took long enough, but we got there in the end.

Excellent sleuthing through the thread for those quotes!

But...

Isn't cherry-picking your data a scientific no-no, Newman? :p

Robin L

Master Contributor
Excellent sleuthing through the thread for those quotes!

But...

Isn't cherry-picking your data a scientific no-no, Newman? :p
Not so much if it accurately demonstrates a consensus.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
a consensus does not science make.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a consensus does not science make.

Indeed.

You'll find quite a bit of consensus for the efficacy of homeopathy in homeopath forums, for the healing power of crystals in new age forums, etc.

What should matter isn't a consensus per se but the cogency of the arguments and the evidence adduced for the arguments.

The record of this thread shows I'm the one who adduced numerous external references for my position (the use of, and usefulness of, the term microdynamics in both music and professional audio). In comparison, the pushback seemed to be just protest ;-)

izeek

Earl Geddes says that certain types of distortion doesn't matter too much (in that it cannot be heard in blind testing until quite high % levels) and he designed some pretty large speakers. He did an interview with Erin, I can't remember it all, but he did say something about small speakers FR changing as they heat up compared to larger ones.

Here is the interview:

Well, what have you added that is objective to the discussion?

Why is half this forum occupied with posters trying to BTFO people on the internet, aren't we all old and ugly enough to have moved beyond that kind of thing.
for real doh.

Top Bottom