• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your help in choosing an integrated amplifier with a budget of around $1500

Skywallker66

Hello friends, I have a pair of B&W DM603 speakers from the first edition, from 1998 that I personally really like their very unique sound. When I bought them they were plugged into a Yamaha RX-V2090 receiver and sounded great together. At the same time I liked the combination of the speakers with Mrentz receivers from the early 2000's.
Looking to match them with an integrated HIFI stereo amplifier with a budget around $ 1500 that will sound great with the specific B&W I have and will be used mainly for streaming music via Bluetooth or WIFI. I listen to all styles of music, from rock to classical music. I would love insights from your experience on a number of options that can fit me within my budget given the fact that I will probably be replacing my speakers in the coming years as well.
Many thanks in advance,
Joe

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends, I have a pair of B&W DM603 speakers from the first edition, from 1998 that I personally really like their very unique sound. When I bought them they were plugged into a Yamaha RX-V2090 receiver and sounded great together. At the same time I liked the combination of the speakers with Mrentz receivers from the early 2000's.
Looking to match them with an integrated HIFI stereo amplifier with a budget around $ 1500 that will sound great with the specific B&W I have and will be used mainly for streaming music via Bluetooth or WIFI. I listen to all styles of music, from rock to classical music. I would love insights from your experience on a number of options that can fit me within my budget given the fact that I will probably be replacing my speakers in the coming years as well.
Many thanks in advance,
Joe
Are you in the USA, Canada @Skywallker66 or perhaps in Europe?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Do it other way around, first replace speakers than find amplifier for new ones (or buy tolerable one to lo impedance loads and with a health power headroom to what you consider you will ever need).
Why? Well for instance I wanted to suggest that you look at Yamaha R-N803 but it's not very tolerable to lo impedance loads and if you buy new speakers that are declared 4 Ohm's and deap to 2 it could be troubling for it.

OP
S

Skywallker66

Do it other way around, first replace speakers than find amplifier for new ones (or buy tolerable one to lo impedance loads and with a health power headroom to what you consider you will ever need).
Why? Well for instance I wanted to suggest that you look at Yamaha R-N803 but it's not very tolerable to lo impedance loads and if you buy new speakers that are declared 4 Ohm's and deap to 2 it could be troubling for it.
Thank you very much for your suggestion, at this point looking for an amplifier and yes, an amplifier that will also fit 4 ohms. Recommendations?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The basic specs that I could find on the DM603:
(I could not find a impedance graph.)

Frequency Response........................47Hz to 20kHz +/- 3dB on reference axis
Sensitivity........................................90dB SPL at 2.83V at 1meter
Nominal Impedance..........................8 ohms (Minimum 4.3 ohms)
Power Handling................................25 watts to 120 watts into 8 ohms on unclipped programme

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Skywallker66 I am not familiar with the models available in your area of the planet so I am going to leave the posted speaker specs for you and bow out so somebody more familiar with the regional availability can help you better. Your speakers are nominal 8 Ohm and dip down to ~4.3 Ohms so the load on the amp is not terribly difficult and so your options will be more abundant. :D

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
See what you can find with newer class G-H SoM's and preferably with audio measurements and from known reputable brand that will fit your needs. As much as I remember for example NAD is switching to those. Personally I will stick with speakers that don't deep under 3 Ohm's and AB class Yamahas.

OP
S

Skywallker66

The basic specs that I could find on the DM603:
(I could not find a impedance graph.)

Frequency Response........................47Hz to 20kHz +/- 3dB on reference axis
Sensitivity........................................90dB SPL at 2.83V at 1meter
Nominal Impedance..........................8 ohms (Minimum 4.3 ohms)
Power Handling................................25 watts to 120 watts into 8 ohms on unclipped programme
Thanks, aware of the fact, the problem is that I can not take them to marketers and try them along with different amps because some of the marketers here will not and a small part of them are not trustworthy to me, so looking for recommendations from the excellent experience in this forum.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, aware of the fact, the problem is that I can not take them to marketers and try them along with different amps because some of the marketers here will not and a small part of them are not trustworthy to me, so looking for recommendations from the excellent experience in this forum.
I am always partial to Yamaha integrated amps due to the excellent value proposition the brand provides and has provided for a long time. I've sold truckloads of Yamaha and serviced some too and the stuff is nice for the money. The new Denon integrated amps are nice too but some are low power output and others are way over your budget. Can you get Yamaha integrated amps where you are? Perhaps get some prices and models that are available and come back to us and we can suggest something.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you could go for a Yamaha R-S700 or A-S700 (used) or A-S701/A-S801 (new). They all have the same power amplifier which would fit your speakers. I personally like the A-S1200 for it's build quality, but you probably need luck to get one used for your budget.

Not sure how much of a tinkerer you are. If i where you, i would go a different route:
  1. Get a UMIK-1 measurement microphone. Used to measure the sound of your speakers in your room at your listening position.
  2. Get a MiniDSP Flex, they should be available gain soon. This is used as DSP (to fix the flaws found with the UMIK-1), DAC and preamp to control volume. You can also use it for bluetooth and digital sources like CD, XBox, TV or PC.
  3. Get a NP252MP based power amplifier (check the link in my signature, best bet would probably be to import from France from Audiophonics for you). You can bridge these amps to get double the power, just buy a second one if you think one is not enough. In case you get new speakers down the road that need insane amounts of power.
With that you should be able to get a lot more enjoyment out of your DM603s. DSP is where the magic is, my man.
This is the cost you are looking at:

650€ for the MiniDSP Flex and UMIK.
500€ for a Audiophonics NP252MP.

One last thing: check your woofer sourrounds, i got an offer for a pair of DM602 S2 where the bass was totally off because the sourrounds turned into hard plastic. Probably caused by lots of direct sunlight. If that is the case for you, you best get a new pair of speakers too.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With that you should be able to get a lot more enjoyment out of your DM603s. DSP is where the magic is, my man.
This is the cost you are looking at:

650€ for the MiniDSP Flex and UMIK.
500€ for a Audiophonics NP252MP.
I agree. This is a killer system.

Steve Rogers

Skywalker, is your budget in shekels worth $1500 or $2000? I ask because in Israel the amps will be at a 40- 50% mark up to usa prices.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Skywalker, is your budget in shekels worth $1500 or $2000? I ask because in Israel the amps will be at a 40- 50% mark up to usa prices.
Maybe ordering in Europe might be an option. We only have a 20 to 30% markup compared to the US. ;)

steve59

Major Contributor
Cambridge audio, something used should be a good pairing with B&W.

Steve Rogers

Maybe ordering in Europe might be an option. We only have a 20 to 30% markup compared to the US. ;)
If you order from abroad you have to pay around 32% tax not to mention postage and possible warranty problems, the Israeli audiophile is between a rock and a hard space for the more expensive stuff.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you order from abroad you have to pay around 32% tax not to mention postage and possible warranty problems, the Israeli audiophile is between a rock and a hard space for the more expensive stuff.
Sorry to hear that, my dude.
1576352005317.gif

Have you tried to resort to violence against the taxman?;)

steve59

Major Contributor
not since the boston tea party

Top Bottom