• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Guiding Audio Principles

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't believe multichannel audio is the future.. No one wants all those speakers in their lounge. It will remain neich though.
I don't disagree but outside of the lunatic fringe world we live in, how many folks you know have a stereo set of speakers set up correctly in their room? The don't know "imaging" from a hole in the ground, and don't care either. Good stereo is a Bose Wave Radio/CD player.
We're all neichs living inside of neichs. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
"Good stereo is a Sonos"

Your friends have more $ than mine. :)

We have one on each floor of our office and the millenials rave about how awesome it sounds.

I kept threatening to bring in my little JBL LSR305s to let them know what they could have for half the cost.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with your points but don't use streaming for classical music, which is about 80% of my listening, because the standard tagging makes everything too difficult to find and I am too lazy to re-tag all my rips now that I am retired and don't need my music on a portable for weekly flights.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I agree with your points but don't use streaming for classical music, which is about 80% of my listening, because the standard tagging makes everything too difficult to find and I am too lazy to re-tag all my rips now that I am retired and don't need my music on a portable for weekly flights.

Classical tagging is a complete bitch, 100% agree.

But, for me:

a) I no longer have the 1000+ classical CDs I ripped, so no other option
b) I haven't bought CDs in years, so all the recent stuff only exist as files, using whatever effed up tagging the vendor used, also no other option
c) As big as my classical selection is, Tidal has more, and sometimes I go on weird binges ('Hey, let's listen to everything Karajan ever recorded' or 'Hey, let's listen to every recording of Tosca ever made")

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor

But, for me:

b) I haven't bought CDs in years, so all the recent stuff only exist as files, using whatever effed up tagging the vendor used, also no other option
c) As big as my classical selection is, Tidal has more, and sometimes I go on weird binges ('Hey, let's listen to everything Karajan ever recorded' or 'Hey, let's listen to every recording of Tosca ever made")

Agreed, classical tagging is a big problem. Tidal has not solved it satisfactorally, nor has Roon, etc. Ironically, it takes only a few specific additional tag fields (composer, composition, etc.) beyond the standard artist-album-song tagging model used for pop/rock/jazz, etc. And, yes, the metadata supplied with the disc/download varies from only fair to non-existent. Quality classical tagging just seems to require manual input and editing, much more so than other genres.

With help from a good and knowledgeable friend, we have pretty much solved it using JRiver and its custom tag field capability with the addition of only one essential custom field to their standard scheme. My library is well over 3,000 discs = many tens of thousands of tracks, mostly Mch, which JRiver handles nicely. I do not do CDs, but his library also includes well over 5,000 CDs tagged using MusiChi, which is very classically-oriented, although limited to stereo and PCM material. He has converted that easily to JRiver, which he prefers for playback and consistency with his SACD and BD audio and video libraries. We each have 52TB NAS's dedicated to music, each now approaching the need for an additional 20TB expansion.

But, my pleasure is browsing my library on an iPad using the excellent JRemote app from the comfort of my easy chair and playing exactly what I want without getting up, lazy ass that I am.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Another one, this one is for @Thomas savage:

Spending time and money on audiophile fuses is a sure sign that you need to reexamine your priorities.

Or you're as rich as Croesus and have run out of audio things to buy, in which case it's still dumb and you should go buy another supercar, instead.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

But, for me:

I joined qobuz which has a big classical collection but almost useless tagging of tracks. I may not continue with my subscription into a 3rd year since I don't enjoy trying to find exactly what I want.
I could take time to rip then re-tag but a quick check showed that it usually took me about 30 minutes of irritation and boredom to tag a CD I have just ripped. Since I can find a CD and put it on my CD player in about 20 secs that meant for most of my CDs I will waste less time during the rest of my life by not re-tagging, so I only rip pop music.

I gave away my PC when I retired and no longer needed it so the 2 recommended bits of classical tagging software are not available to me.

RogerD

1. Buy the most transparent,high resolution and coherent equipment you can,not dependent on price
2. Anything that expands the sound stage and increases clarity is good.
3. Grounding,grounding,grounding: Signal and Chassis
4.Focus on bass reproduction articulation as that effects the mid range,high frequencies
5 Dedicated 20 amp circuit 10 awg is a good foundation.

D

Deleted member 65

Agree with watchnerd's list with the following addition:

2. The transducers, speakers, headphones, & cartridges, are next most important.
2.a: Never again invest in a speaker with metal drivers.
2.b: Never invest in a box speaker lacking an AMT driver.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

2. The transducers, speakers, headphones, & cartridges, are next most important.
2.a: Never again invest in a speaker with metal drivers.

Wow...that's highly specific!

So soft dome tweeters are out?

D

Deleted member 65

Wow...that's highly specific!

So soft dome tweeters are out?

Yes, having had Elac's, Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOnes (still have in storage) and currently Gauder Akustik's Arcona 100 all equipped with AMT's I love them. Resemble Martin Logan's I guess in the treble. However ML's are out since we have two cats and spouse and I usually listen to music together. ML's panels sweet spot is too narrow, can't afford two pairs.

Wont tire you with my long history with dome tweeters.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

There's some horn lovers here that would disagree with that.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, having had Elac's, Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOnes (still have in storage) and currently Gauder Akustik's Arcona 100 all equipped with AMT's I love them. Resemble Martin Logan's I guess in the treble. However ML's are out since we have two cats and spouse and I usually listen to music together. ML's panels sweet spot is too narrow, can't afford two pairs.

Wont tire you with my long history with dome tweeters.

What do you think of Adam or Eve monitors?

Top Bottom