• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your favourite "grower" songs

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Post some of your favourite "grower" songs. No boundaries (genre, era..)
Artist - Title, at least, or better,
Artist / Title / Album (year) + link to media

Urban dictionary definition:
grower (song)
A song or piece of music that doesn't appeal to a person on first listen, but after a while "grows" and becomes enjoyable in time. This is a common occurrence.

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reuben Hollebon - Faces (album: Faces / 2013)

Visuals have growing potential too... ;)

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Arcade Fire - Reflektor (album Reflektor 2013)

At first listen, it seemed to me the length was inappropriate. Listened more, it started to feel like it's too short.. :rolleyes:

MRC01

Major Contributor
At first it sounded like excessively long-winded repetitive music from a band that was trying to fill the side of an album. As I listened to it more it grew on me, now I put it among the best prog rock. The Steven Wilson remix is the definitive audiophile version.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roy Of The Ravers - Emotinium (2 Late 4 Love, 2015)

Robin L

Master Contributor

Daverz

Major Contributor

grower (song)
A song or piece of music that doesn't appeal to a person on first listen, but after a while "grows" and becomes enjoyable in time. This is a common occurrence.

Oh, I thought "grower" meant something else that would be consistent with some of the posts in the "What are we listening to" thread. Mind in the gutter, as usual. :rolleyes:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it took me about a year to get Past Life Martyred Saints by EMA. Why I kept coming back I'm not sure, something nagged at me, now I think it's a masterpiece.
a4252226130_10.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
I recommend the documentary about him, for people who are already fans, and people like me who had never heard of him.
Great Documentary, saw it last year. Didn't really get into his songs 'til a few months ago.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

grower (song)

I'm a big fan of grower champagnes, so why not songs. Although this has more frequently happened to me with bands / singers than with specific songs. For instance, in my younger years I had the poor taste to be uncertain of Van Morrison, now I own a decent collection of his albums. Jackson Browne grew on me when I finally grew up a bit myself. And of course the Grateful Dead are the prototype of an acquired taste for many people - it took about 20 years for me to become a fanatic.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here’s one, a grower album for me really, with just one track from it. Superficially it struck me as just easy listening smooth jazz pablum. Recently the tunes in the album were stuck in my head for some reason, and I went back to it. I came away thinking that the playing of the principals (Earl Klugh and Chet Atkins on this track) was beautifully well-crafted and immaculate and musically and emotionally extremely sensitive. Just listening with older ears now I guess, and perhaps less judgmentally.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'd never heard the term used in relation to songs. It was usually in reference to appendages with there being two types- show'er was the other one.

karenjoe

My favourite songs were Self care and Circles by Mac Miller. He was my favourite rapper as at that time I was very much into rap music. His rap music gives me energy. I used to collect his posters and t-shirts as a enthusiastic fan. Sadly, he left us too early but in such a short span of time he revolutionize the rap music industry. Here is the Self care song by him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom