• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Favorite Power Amplifier that you have ever owned or currently own and what makes it your favorite

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still own mine. I couldn’t let it go. However, compared to my Benchmark it sounds so bad (shrill) that it’s shocking.
Those '70s transistor units. I had a Phase Linear 400 in the early '70s. I count myself lucky a burgular came and took it away along with a pair of EPI 400s. Moved out and bought a pair of LS3/5as and a DH200 kit with the insurance money, so I made out.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I could say my current amp, a March Audio p452, its so unobtrusive sometimes the only way I can find it is to trace back down the speaker cables.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of all the amps I've owned the one I still wish I had was the Quad 405 (but only with its companion 33 preamp). Because of its form factor. Smallish and compact, no-nonsense aesthetics. And Peter Walker, who is one of my audio heroes.
I was temporarily the owner of a 33 and 303 pre amp. For the same reason as you I bought an immaculate, one owner pair from a nice woman on eBay, they were her late dad's. When they arrived I could immediately tell they'd been flawless when packed. Trouble was they'd been put in a box without any packing whatsoever and had been pulverised in transit, the lovely heatsink fins in the 33 we almost at 90 degrees from the back of the chassis. And there ended my Quad ownership adventure. Now I convince myself that if Peter Walker were alive today he'd recommend a purifi amp.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those '70s transistor units. I had a Phase Linear 400 in the early '70s. I count myself lucky a burgular came and took it away along with a pair of EPI 400s. Moved out and bought a pair of LS3/5as and a DH200 kit with the insurance money, so I made out.
I had a PL 400 as well but it blew up and I couldn't find anyone in London to repair it. Mind you I cannot recall how it sounded compared to the DC300. Those days we accepted amplifiers to sound the same as long as they were loud :)

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My AIYIMA TPA3255 modules. Less than €85 for four bridgeable channels of 120W into 8 Ohms, with shmoo below -85dB and noise below -110dB. I have no need for anything more.

1659626335102-removebg-preview.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using three amps, for woofer, midrange and horn, respectively: QSC RMX850, Parasound Halo A21, and First Watt J2. I haven't wanted to change them for 10 years, so they must be doing something right.

Tks

Major Contributor
ABH2 obviously. If it fits the power requirements you have, not sure why bother with anything else. Especially if you're in the US since the customer service is impeccable.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have quite a few power amplifiers, but my favourites are the pair of Sony TAN77es (I actually have three- one as a 'spare'). They are always around and most often connected. When I want to up the stakes, each one of the pair can run as a single 600w@8R/~1kW@4R monoblock.

tan77 (Medium).jpeg

Shown with an SMSL class D toy amplifier for scale.
tan77 scale (Medium).jpeg

Attachments

• 1659746817653.jpeg
    1659746817653.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 66

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have quite a few power amplifiers, but my favourites are the pair of Sony TAN77es (I actually have three- one as a 'spare'). They are always around and most often connected. When I want to up the stakes, each one of the pair can run as a single 600w@8R/~1kW@4R monoblock.

View attachment 222673

View attachment 222674
Wonderful example of Japanese refined and properly finished amplifiers. People have become accustomed to a black or silver bare cabinet and now to see a beauty like this... Not a bad angle on it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That I have owned?

JE (Joseph Esmilla) Labs "Simple 2A3" design, with slightly modified voltage amplifier stage. Built by Nate G. ("Hamingredient" on Flikr)

That I have spent quality time with?

Marantz 8B

McIntosh MC-225 is a close runner-up.

Ken1951

View attachment 222673

View attachment 222674
Man, I would truly love to have one of those! My Paradigm S8s would be in heaven!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I had a PL 400 as well but it blew up and I couldn't find anyone in London to repair it. Mind you I cannot recall how it sounded compared to the DC300. Those days we accepted amplifiers to sound the same as long as they were loud :)
If they're loud enough, they will all sound the same -- jet engine ;)

Rather inexplicably, I have a PL 200B upstairs. It's located amusingly close to a Crown D-150, too, so there is that.

I actually paid money to get the PL (the Crown stuff were dump finds) -- but it was bundled with a pair of loudspeakers I wanted, and the seller was loath to unbundle them. ;)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If they're loud enough, they will all sound the same -- jet engine ;)

Rather inexplicably, I have a PL 200B upstairs. It's located amusingly close to a Crown D-150, too, so there is that.

I actually paid money to get the PL (the Crown stuff were dump finds) -- but it was bundled with a pair of loudspeakers I wanted, and the seller was loath to unbundle them. ;)
Sell some and get a vintage tractor. ;) (inside joke)

D

Deleted member 51065

Pair of Schiit Aegir's as MB's + Freya+ + Their GumbyMB DAC; all balanced. Good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Quad 405 - my first "audiophile" amplifer - sold to another keen audiophile some years ago, purchased used in the mid 1980's, ran with it for circa 20 years - gave me the possibly unrealistic expectation that a decent amp should have a lifetime of well beyond 20 years.

Quad 606 - lovely, powerful, smooth, compact, cool running - what's not to like.... (sigh, not enough current for my current speakers...)

Crown XLS2500 - a surprise how good these are, did not expect it. Still look at them with some suspicion at times - but my low impedance speakers are very happy when driven by these - capable of 1200W @ 2 ohm and bridgeable... thats a lot of Watts... runs cool and silent ... SINAD rates midlingly compared to current SOTA... but around the same as my Quad 606's - and these speakers sound better being driven by the Crowns. As a bonus I can feed them RCA, XLS or 1/4" jack inputs - and take outputs on bare wire, banana plugs, or Speakon

TheLastGerman

Plcamp

1B54FC66-8874-41C4-BC1D-519D894EE177.jpeg
Adcom 535II because it is available used, inexpensive, easy to maintain and small.

Top Bottom