• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Favorite ~$100 Multi-Input DAC?

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

kouki_monster

Hi all,

You probably loathe questions like this, but I'm new around here, so please go easy on me. ;-)

I found you guys while learning about discrete DAC's. I'm trying to connect my Apple TV (G3) to my powered speakers and thus need an optical ready DAC for the task. After looking into the FiiO Taishan D03K, as well as a few other cheap options, it became apparent that my ears will need something better.. something in the ~$75-100 range, or I'll probably be disappointed. This led me to hours of research, cutting through the BS, studying my sources, etc.. I am left with a short list and would appreciate your subjective thoughts regarding these discrete, dedicated DAC's. Other suggestions are of course welcome, too, but at this point I've likely seen it and crossed it off the list for whatever reason.

At this point I am trying to decide if the simple, $59 Optical DAC from HiFiMeDIY will be perfectly fine, or if I should splurge a little extra on one of the following:

1. Topping D30 - Seems to be the king, but is the most expensive to buy while also the "cheapest" when it comes to the enclosure, features, etc. Wins where it counts, though!
2. Schiit Modi 3 - Seems to get great reviews across the board. I like the physical appearance and simplicity, but a display would be nice. Made in USA which I like.
3. SMSL M100 - Cheapest of the bunch, only $20 more than the HiFiMeDIY product but worlds nicer when it comes to enclosure and features. Even has a display! Is there really any reason to spend more than this??
4. SMSL Sanskrit 10th v2 - New version comes in black which I like. Great features, has display, seems very powerful, even has remote. Very future proof. Spotty reviews?

The other benefit to splurging a little is that these other ~$100 DAC's will surely be more "future-proof" in that they offer USB input in case I ever want/need it down the road.

I'm sure you guys already know what chips are in these DAC's, but I'll be happy to list that info if it helps anyone else.

Since this is my first discrete DAC, I bet there are things that I'm not thinking of, or am unaware of, such as how the different power supplies in these DAC's will affect things. That's why I am here!

Thanks!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Khanas Tone Board is my reference DAC at this price range

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Topping is teasing a "E30" on their Facebook page. Believe its the D30 replacement and they promise it to be "better".
Schedule to be released soon, so possibly a set is on its way to @amirm already.
E30.jpg
E30B.jpg

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would vote Topping D10 if it were an option. Performance is plenty good and the display is a nice bonus, plus you can save a little money.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping is teasing a "E30" on their Facebook page. Believe its the D30 replacement and they promise it to be "better".
Schedule to be released soon, so possibly a set is on its way to @amirm already.
View attachment 54667View attachment 54668
Love that they added the display. I believe the D30 and A30 were made by different people than the D10/D50/etc., hence the aesthetic difference and the switches.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
So I use D30 and Magni 3+ ..... quite excellent.

I use the D30>Magni 3 Heresy>HE400i/Ety ER3SE with no complaints at all. Kinda wish I had a black D30 rather than silver, but at least the D30 is just wide enough so the Heresy's feet will all sit on top of it.

matt3421

the SMSL Sanskrit 10th has remote control, which i believe makes it more feature rich than any other DAC in its price range. And it measures well if you use external power.

OP
K

kouki_monster

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Apologies, the thread title should have been "Your favorite ~$100 Optical Ready DAC"
The reason I did not include the D10, etc., is because I need a DAC that has optical input. All of the DAC's I listed have such, and I consider them to be more "complete" products when it comes to a standalone DAC (different input options for the entire media center.. you get it). I really like the D10 and wish it had optical in instead of out.. but alas. Different DAC's for different setups.. this is what I need.

And obviously the Khanas Tone Board was left out, not only because of lack of S/PDIF support, but because I would never consider that an end-use product. I do not have a 3D printer. The DAC's I listed are ready to go out of the box. I get it.. you could place that board on your desk and be fine.. just blow the dust off every once and a while and be sure to not touch it? No thanks... that stuff is cool and all but is way more DIY oriented and not what this thread is about. Understood, though, re. it's performance. However once you factor in needing to figure out a case, the "cost" can get up there.

Thanks again, and keep the votes coming!

That E30 looks killer. I might just have to wait on it! Kinda cool and kinda annoying at the same time for this petrol head that it's called the "E30." ;-)

OP
K

kouki_monster

E30 looks promising.. however I can't say with certainty that it accepts optical IN or if that port is for OUT. I'm also not sure that I love the either membrane or touch-sensitive button, but as long as it works well it doesn't really matter. Finally, can't tell if that case is metal or plastic...

I'd love a D50s but I personally just can't justify the price difference.. I doubt I'd hear a difference. Feel free to correct me there if I'm wrong. :) This DAC I purchase will likely eventually find itself in my future to-be-built stereo only music listening setup, which will probably consist of a pair of nice tower speakers (~$1000 each), coupled with a quality, dedicated 2 channel amp that is fed by the DAC I choose. Still, I am hard pressed to spend double the amount on the D50s when compared to the D30. The screen is nice, but not really required. I also have no use for Bluetooth. What's the argument for going with the D50s over the D30? The remote would be nice, but again, not necessary.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
E30 looks promising.. however I can't say with certainty that it accepts optical IN or if that port is for OUT. ...

The only pictures I can find are those linked above. Have you found any that show the back panel where the ports would be?

bboris77

This is going to be a very interesting time since JDS Labs is just about to come out with their Atom Dac....these two are going to go head to head.

They posted this on their blog today: "As most of you expect, the JDS Labs Atom DAC is nearing availability. Product announcements tend to produce a rush of traffic requiring all hands on deck. As eager as we are to share more, please understand that employee and customer safety remain our highest priority. "

OP
K

kouki_monster

Price speculation on the E30 and JDS Atom DAC? I left the JDS OL DAC off of my list because at $139 (w/ optical in) it costs more than the D30, and I don't think many would argue that it's better than the D30. Am I correct in imagining that the JDS Atom DAC will be up there, price-wise? I suppose that's fine as long as it incorporates a decent display. Perhaps it is aimed at the D50, M300, etc. ~$200 market? I hope that the E30 is still in the ~$125 range, making it competitive with the likes of the Sanskrit 10th v2 (AK4493), etc.

Veri

Master Contributor
Price speculation on the E30 and JDS Atom DAC? I left the JDS OL DAC off of my list because at $139 (w/ optical in) it costs more than the D30, and I don't think many would argue that it's better than the D30. Am I correct in imagining that the JDS Atom DAC will be up there, price-wise? I suppose that's fine as long as it incorporates a decent display. Perhaps it is aimed at the D50, M300, etc. ~$200 market? I hope that the E30 is still in the ~$125 range, making it competitive with the likes of the Sanskrit 10th v2 (AK4493), etc.
$100-$150 somewhere in that range I would reckon. Probably closer to $100

I'm waiting for the $99 Liquid Spark DAC, but it has been delayed a couple times.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38965
I do wonder about that one!

Reactions: wje

bboris77

I am not sure that the Atom DAC will have a display. Even their high end EL DAC II does not have a screen. I’m sure they will focus on function over form and ensure it is priced at $99. They better have an optical input for gaming consoles and to help avoid ground loops. Maybe they will get rid of coax to cut some costs. That way they can simply have a push switch for 2 inputs rather than a toggle. This way they can use the same style case as the Atom. The only real mystery is what chip they will use. I’m betting AK4493.

Top Bottom