• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

OP
Johan Liebert

Johan Liebert

Here is mine placed on a desktop sitting across my bed:

DAC/HP AMP: Matrix Element X
Speaker Amp: IOM Ncore NC252 (XLR to Element)
Headphones: AKG K7xx, Sendy Aiva, Vokyl Erupts
Speakers: Micca RB42C in pair

Uses: Near-Field for my PC, Mid-Far for my TV which hangs above my TV. Speaker is leveled with bed for listening/Desk Chair.

Thinking of changing my speakers out for something better. Previously tried Adam A5X which are amazing near-field and decent mid-far. Revel M126BE out of this world, had to move them to my living/theater setup.
That's Revel's top of the line bookshelves no?

Sounds like they're amazing near field as well.

Crane

Forum Donor
Yea, all around amazing. Details and great sound at all levels. Currently using them as the rear speakers in 5.0 setup. I've never seen a speaker portray sound so realistically where i've been fooled by it into thinking something happened there in real life like a knock at the door.

Since i don't have the Adams where i'm currently living, i cant compare the two. Based on memory i would say i think the Adams created a better envelope for near-field, Where auditory you couldn't tell someone was beside you if you had music running because it felt like you were in your own space.

Obviously, i cannot say for certain because i didn't use the revels for long in this mode or driven them to the same levels, but details and all rounder speaker, revel is top dog.

Kouioui

Forum Donor
SPEAKERS:
TV HDMI audio sources > HTPC + Qobuz/Tidal + 8TB media drive > Equalizer APO > Topping E30/L30 > JBL 310S sub > JBL LSR305P [Room EQ via UMIK-1 + REW + Harman house curve + APO]

HEADPHONES:
HTPC audio sources + APO + Oratory1990 HD650 Harman AE/OE settings > Topping E30/L30 > Sennheiser/Drop HD 6XX

Last edited:

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My desktop system was originally built as a hobby recording studio, but now is mostly utilized for music playback.

Source: custom built computer
Computer interface / DAC / Headphone amp: Berhinger UMC404HD
Speakers: JBL 306MKII
Sub: Tannoy TS10
Headphones - NAD HP50 (only used when necessary)
Cables: All XLR, budget stuff

Listening now in amazement. Mostly holds its own against my Revel based HT room (at least in nearfield listening).

Shout out to the little Tannoy TS10 sub that really makes this system work with all of its connectivity and flexible controls. You can get these for a song on the used market.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
61lMsCy%2BEQL._AC_SL1498_.jpg
71w5Su4VOkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

GokieKS

I have way too many things on my desk.

Speakers:
RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> Douk Audio MC103-Pro* -> JBL Nano Patch+ -> March Audio P252 -> KEF LS50
*: this is to allow me to switch input to my monitor's audio output, for when I'm using the docked Switch that's connected to the monitor via HDMI.
Also will get a sub for this setup eventually, but right now there's not really any good place to put it.

Headphones:
RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> Drop + THX AAA 789 -> Sennheiser HD 600 / Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 / Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart / Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (250 Ohm)

seadogbiscuit

Forum Donor
Best system I've ever enjoyed: 2018 Mac Mini USB'd into NAD D3045 to Martin Logan Motion 15's. Very good cables everywhere, Iso stands, Furutech power conditioner, iTunes and Tidal
All I need! for this week....

NoMoFoNo

I've got a cobbled-together set-up on my office desktop. I sub in different bits and pieces but currently it's a little baby Miniwatt tube amp (don't even want to know how it measures!) that I bought when I just had to try tubes, connected to Schiit Modi 3, fed by whichever device is on hand to run AMHD. Speakers are alternately Micca MB42x and Klipsch R-15Ms, both of which sound OK in near field but I'd like to acquire better speakers at some point. I've also got Edifier R1280Ts that I sub in occasionally, which removes tubes from the equation. They're OK too, but not great.

I also have a Thorens TD-145 connected to a Hagerman Bugle2, which is starting to beg for use as I get away from phono. I'll put it into storage for a rainy day one of these days.

What I've found over time is that I like to experiment with the desktop system. It's small, most of it is inexpensive, easy to swap, fun to listen to while I'm working on documents for the job. At some point, I'll focus on a pair of near field speakers that measure flat and are ASR recommended.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
USB-DAC: RME ADI-2 DAC fs
Speakers: 2 Genelec 8020 + 1 Kef PS2500 sub (under the table)
Headphones: either DT990 pro or HD 800.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
For my home office desktop, this is what I've been using for about 5 years now, Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 THX. Sub is on a shelf under the left side cabinet and speakers are either side of the 36" center level(seating position). Originally bought for gaming, but I love it for music, too. I'm still happy with it.
Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1.jpg

seadogbiscuit

Forum Donor
Best system I've ever enjoyed: 2018 Mac Mini USB'd into NAD D3045 to Martin Logan Motion 15's. Very good cables everywhere, Iso stands, Furutech power conditioner, iTunes and Tidal
All I need! for this week....
Upgrade time: NAD D3045 replaced by Topping DX3Pro and Nuforce STA120. Still trying to pick best filter setting out of 6.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Bedroom system:
Headphones - LG V20 Quad DAC NIB @ $120 (replaced D10 and Fire 7" tablet), Liquid Spark, HE400i. Very happy. No change plans

'Dresser Top" - RCA Analog from LS to CD-in Yamaha RX-396 (Goodwill $15) and JBL J2050. (Goodwill $18). 'Temporary'. Resisting itch to buy Infinity 162 pair at $159 closeout special :)

Edit: Bought the Infinities. Replaced the J2050s. 'Night and day' difference - bass. Dynamic range, clarity. Very happy.

LG V20 has a amazing DAC for a phone of that age i remember that was one of the main reasons people bought the thing! I own one still and only use it for audio it really does sound nice and you can find those phones for just 80$ or less now a days

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
iMac direct into BX8's that are jammed into corners

I need different speakers...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Updated desk setup after two weeks of home working...

Desktop.jpg

Change Log:
  • Added another glass monitor stand to provide more space.
  • Changed Fluid Audio stands to short legs.
  • Added Lindy passive DisplayPort switch box (so I can easily switch between home PC and work ThinkPad)
  • Added Lime Energy saving plug with IR control to switch off monitor speakers easily.
  • New PSU for the JDS Labs Atom - I managed to blow the old one whilst re-wiring the desk :(
The Lime plug looks like this...

1585752693869.png

You can see the IR receiver under the monitor, to the left of the USB hub in the first picture above. The Lime uses the first IR code it receives after being plugged in to control the power. I use the headphone button on the Topping remote for this purpose as it does nothing on the D50s.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I have two setups. My work desk has an iPad Pro feeding a JDS Labs Element II driving a Focal Elex. That desk also has a stereo pair of Sonos Play:1 which are fine for listening at low volume. My music desk has a MacBook Pro feeding an RME Babyface Pro driving a pair of Adam A5X monitors and a DT1990 Pro headphone.
85B7348D-16F0-45A7-9715-393E2D497D04.jpeg
BF80B07C-13A3-42B3-B888-7EFE680E0A7A.jpeg

Last edited:

UCrazyKid

Dynaudio Contour s1.4, Rotel RA-02, AudioEngine D1 (DAC), MacBook Pro, iTunes and BitPerfect, Kimber Kable

IMG_5765.JPG

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Should i take a picture of the new power strip that i bought that claims to reduce noise for "Picture and audio devices" and then type for 15min about how it sounds more cleaner and natural?

Promit

WJX1cd0.jpg

Motu M2 audio interface at 24/96 -> 12" sealed DSP sub I built myself -> Adam T7V. Real acoustic panels and bass traps by Gik. Love this setup, especially considering how little it actually cost.

There are a few other gems to appreciate, for any guitarists out there ;)

Top Bottom