• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

jsilvela

Going to share my comparatively underpowered setup :)

I have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, feeding a ChannelIslands D100 mono block (bought in 2009 because I wanted to hear UcD modules) feeding a single Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE that I used as a center channel in my living room until recently.
SoundStage on the mac with a low frequency EQ profile for my corner-placed speaker, generated using REW and a UMIK-1 (getting a clue thanks to ASR!)
Yes, it's a *mono* setting, which is fine for what I want: good audio for my Zoom calls, and low-volume music to relax during work.
I get a kick that with the addition of the DAC, I was able to give a new life to the mono-block and the center speaker.

For the non-Audio part of my setup I have a few of things I discovered recently and highly recommend:
- A split keyboard. I tried for the first time this year, and now using a regular keyboard seems uncivilized.
- A KVM switch so the same keyboard and mouse feed my mac mini and my work laptop (I have the fortune of working from home (software dev.))
- A Rode USB mic, as I do a lot of Zoom, and am always so grateful when listening to colleagues who have better-than-the-laptop's mics.
- The print is a framed "Sky Toucher" from the highly enjoyable "Thing Explainer" by "@xkcd"

IMG_1287.jpeg

Last edited:

KJohnM

Greetings everyone!
Here is my minimalist approach to music.....

Edit! Forgot to mention the power leads are all connected to wireless on/off devices. I can turn them all on and off with a press of a button on the remote.
Desktop Setup.jpg

Last edited:

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have changed desktop setups quite a few times last couple of years. Computer speakers, NX-N500, 8330 with 7350 and 7360 and finally 8350. Six pairs of headphones and three dac/amps, final set was DX3 Pro+ and LCD-X. After the big genelecs arrived I got rid of everything else.

poxymoron

Greetings everyone!
Here is my minimalist approach to music.....

Edit! Forgot to mention the power leads are all connected to wireless on/off devices. I can turn them all on and off with a press of a button on the remote.
View attachment 253067
Nice setup, have you tried the speakers toed in? Or do they sound better as you have them?

KJohnM

Nice setup, have you tried the speakers toed in? Or do they sound better as you have them?
Hi there, thanks! I have tried them toed in but funnily enough I like them facing forward as long as I sit equilateral to the speakers. They sound really nice but I have had to turn down the treble a bit because of my hearing aid settings, they are quite detailed in that range. The sub8 made a huge difference, I can 'feel' the bass now!

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
For my home office desktop, this is what I've been using for about 5 years now, Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 THX. Sub is on a shelf under the left side cabinet and speakers are either side of the 36" center level(seating position). Originally bought for gaming, but I love it for music, too. I'm still happy with it.
I have the above Pro Media set as my bedroom TV speakers now, and have upgraded to the pictured set-up:
Lenovo computer, Atom DAC, Atom HP amp, SMSL A300 amp, Jamo 10" sub(under right side of desk) and Keff Q150 speakers.

1000000024.jpg

Wow! Some killer setups here!

I've made a few tweaks since the main photos were taken but basically:
Front End is Apple 14" M1 Pro / Apple Music
Schiit - Modius / Lokius / Magnius
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 6XX
Speakers: Tannoy VXP6 w/ Klipsch 12" sub (all active)
Acoustic Panels are ATS / I replaced the cheap, builder grade ceiling tiles with Corning and put 4" of Rock Wool on top of the tiles.

4bt4cealkjw81.jpg
IMG_0139.jpeg
ac3tpdalkjw81.jpg

Going to share my comparatively underpowered setup :)

I have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, feeding a ChannelIslands D100 mono block (bought in 2009 because I wanted to hear UcD modules) feeding a single Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE that I used as a center channel in my living room until recently.
SoundStage on the mac with a low frequency EQ profile for my corner-placed speaker, generated using REW and a UMIK-1 (getting a clue thanks to ASR!)
Yes, it's a *mono* setting, which is fine for what I want: good audio for my Zoom calls, and low-volume music to relax during work.
I get a kick that with the addition of the DAC, I was able to give a new life to the mono-block and the center speaker.

For the non-Audio part of my setup I have a few of things I discovered recently and highly recommend:
- A split keyboard. I tried for the first time this year, and now using a regular keyboard seems uncivilized.
- A KVM switch so the same keyboard and mouse feed my mac mini and my work laptop (I have the fortune of working from home (software dev.))
- A Rode USB mic, as I do a lot of Zoom, and am always so grateful when listening to colleagues who have better-than-the-laptop's mics.
- The print is a framed "Sky Toucher" from the highly enjoyable "Thing Explainer" by "@xkcd"

View attachment 252936
Extra points awarded for the @xkcd reference.

aikofan

I updated my setup recently, adding a Rode NT1 and Motu M2 to my existing Cambridge CXN v2 -> Genelec 8030c. I just wish the Motu had the inputs in the back. I liked the form factor and industrial design of the Audient iD4 better (why aren't there more interfaces with the XLR/TRS inputs/outputs in the back, headphone outputs in the front, and controls/meters on top—all of which I think are optimal for desktop use?), but unfortunately, I experienced staticky noise, which could have been due to a hardware defect or driver compatibility issues with my Windows PC. But the Motu has been working flawlessly. I just have to ignore the mic cable cluttering up the front of my desk and going underneath it, even though it offends my minimalist, neat-freak personality.

2023-01-29 Office Desk - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I just have to ignore the mic cable cluttering up the front of my desk and going underneath it, even though it offends my minimalist, neat-freak personality.
There are right-angled XLR connectors, so perhaps that can work for you?

aikofan

There are right-angled XLR connectors, so perhaps that can work for you?
Yes, I was considering that, but I think that would result in the cable looping out to the left, which might be an improvement but fall short of perfection. What I really need is more of a U- or J-shaped connector that curves sharply backwards instead of at a right angle.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

Rosenbloom

Finally settled with this minimalist setup …
iPad Pro + Apple dongle + iLoud micro on mic stands.

I used to have some more “serious” setup: Desktop PC + Meier Audio Soul DAC & DSP + Neumann KH120A.
But now just enjoying music itself with this simple and easy setup. I am satisfied. :cool:

DD4AB759-147D-4681-B482-98A495F1A071.jpeg

Top Bottom