• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Fenix84

Thank you. Like so many things, it just takes lots of practice and time. I was a designer at an environmental consulting firm for 22 years, just retired last month. I’m looking forward to having time to do art for myself instead of always doing work dictated by clients.

That little golden trout is a distant relative of the bull trout, but is native to just a few watersheds in central California. They’re designated as ”critically imperiled” and may not be around much longer.

View attachment 180893

A crossover to one of my other hobbies, fly fishing. Beautiful fish! We have some around my parts but its quite the hike to access.

vert

Forum Donor
Recently got the Kali WS-12. Hoping the Kali IN-8 v2 comes out in white soon because I’d like to buy them :)

Topping A50s/D50s/P50 purchased a few months ago from dmorrow here on the forums
DD Audio PM151 on IsoAcoustics ISO-155 stands
Kali WS-12
Sennheiser/Drop PC 38X
Philips Fidelio X2HR
EmSHQHh.jpg
What kind of stands are those for the laptops?

Zensō

Major Contributor
A crossover to one of my other hobbies, fly fishing. Beautiful fish! We have some around my parts but its quite the hike to access.
I was lucky enough to fish for golden trout in the Kern River drainage when I was a kid. In those days it was not designated a ‘Wilderness Area” and we rode in on small Honda trail bikes. We never once saw another human on those annual trips. This was in the late 1960’s and early 70’s.

mkt

View attachment 180884

I recently retired so consolidated my two desk setups into one.

Computer: 2018 MacBook Pro
DAC: RME ADI-2 DAC fs
Studio Monitors: Adam A5X, iLoud MTM
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD660S, Beyerdynamic DT1900 Pro, Apple Airpods Max, Apple Airpods Pro
Controller: Ableton Push 2
Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro M
Computer Monitor: LG UltraFine 4K
Are you tempted to give multichannel a try?

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Emotiva Airmotiv 5's Powered Monitors
DIY 8 inch Subwoofer with two 8 inch passive radiators from a Parts Express build called the Triska Sub.
Sennheiser HD598 cans
Sennheiser GSX1000 External Sound Card

View attachment 181013

Along with your entire setup, what I especially like is the head strap at the top of your chair. Is that to hold you in place during high volume listening sessions?

mkt

Along with your entire setup, what I especially like is the head strap at the top of your chair. Is that to hold you in place during high volume listening sessions?
I am pretty sure that is to keep your ears in the calibrated sweet spot.

Tryphon

feynman

AH, okay. Ignore the quick photo with poor lighting, angle, etc. I see several of us have some overlapping interests (unsurprising).

ok.png

Windows server/sub off screen. One power cord onscreen, much to my dismay (I have otherwise impeccable cable management). :)

Star of the show is the Japan-only Snow White HHKB.

Standard build Ikea desk.

Last edited:

adamjohari

AH, okay. Ignore the quick photo with poor lighting, angle, etc. I see several of us have some overlapping interests (unsurprising).

View attachment 181041

Windows server/sub off screen. One power cord onscreen, much to my dismay (I have otherwise impeccable cable management). :)

aha, love the ikea desk hack. i got the gerton instead because i wanted more depth, but this karlby is super nice. what's the dac for this setup? if you're into hhkb you can check the hhkb built from norbauer, superb quality.

feynman

The DAC is my trusty D30 you can see peeking from on top of my Windows box. lalalalallalaanoNorbauer...I've got kids to feed.

EQ via SoundSource on the Mac and Equalizer APO on the Windows.

It's a pleasant place to be.

bantamug

View attachment 181041

Lovely setup - what are the stands? Looking for something less $$ than the official Genelec ones for my 8030Cs - thanks!

feynman

Lovely setup - what are the stands? Looking for something less $$ than the official Genelec ones for my 8030Cs - thanks!

The stands are the Kanto SP9. I like them well enough.

They are a little annoying to assemble. They allow for the top plate to be angled and have internal cable routing. They're quite stable and include two sizes of the top platform, which is slightly cushioned.

There is a 6" version as well if you need shorter. The 8020 are pretty small so the tweeter needed to come up a bit.

mkt

Any thoughts on desk reflections? Where they show up in FR measurements? How to treat them? Studios seem to go for tiny slanted desks.0

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The number one benefit of working from home, for me, is being able to have my own audio system in a my own private office so I can listen to music while I work during the day. My only source is my Mac, on which I mostly stream thru Tidal, but I also have Apple Music and a personal collection of lossless music that I stream from my own server. Up until recently I had a very modest system in my office with $100 speakers and a little 6" Kanto sub, but at the end of last year I decided I wanted to put together something excellent. Here is a diagram of my new system:
desktop.png

Below is my desk where it all lives. I love that the miniDSP Flex can switch on the fly between different Dirac calibrations that I have for sitting vs. standing mode, and it makes everything sound great both ways. Up until this week when the new Flex showed up, standing mode has always suffered quite bad acoustically. I also recently made the 4 foot tall acoustic panels behind my desk, and on the wall to the left. In my small 115 sq/ft office, they made a dramatic improvement in sound quality.

stabdubgdesk.jpg

The electronics stack sits nicely under the left side of my monitor:

IMG_9455.jpg

DonR

Major Contributor
Sennheiser HD598SE driven by either a Douk U3 or a Little Dot MKIII (DON'T JUDGE ME!!!) both being fed by a $10 DAC taking the toslink from my PC.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Which standing desk is that? I recently bought one because I’m WFH quite a bit now, but unfortunately it’s going back because it wobbles terribly at standing height when I type. Still I like the concept and I’m looking for a better one.

I never saw a use for Dirac “presets” until I started looking at standing desks. A profile in SHD Studio with bass management and Dirac tailored to each position makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom