• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

mkt

Can I blame/credit @Kal Rubinson? 5.1 has been my pandemic indulgence. Roland octo-capture (waiting for okto pro) + 3x8331 + 2x8320 + 7350.
1603388149871.jpeg

BostonJack

Editor
My setup is: Macbook Pro as audio source (mainly Spotify, very little 'owned' music). Topping D10 -> Atom headphone amp -> HiFi man 4xx from Drop headphones. Really simple and transportable.

Like the headphones a lot.

mkt

How is it on stuff natively recorded in 5.1? Probably orchestral work.
Great! My experience is that the improvements associated with multichannel are substantial and readily apparent. I can't think of a equipment change with such a positive impact. (Also it's hard not to sound like you just joined a cult.) Unfortunately there is relatively little source material and no streaming to speak of. Fortunately, I like classical and there's a lot (relatively) of that. I learned how to rip SACDs. :)

PS. I am not 100% sure what "natively recorded in 5.1" means when many recordings start with a gazillion of tracks anyway. Certainly some 5.1 mixes are better than others, and mixing choices may or may not match your personal preferences.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
computer - jriver - matrix audio "i" - schiit modius - hifiman he1000v2 & tannoy gold 5 + DefTech supercube sub

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My desktop setup consists of a pair of Adam T5Vs, Palmer Monicon potentiometer-in-a-box, SMSL SU-8 (offscreen), OpenDRC-DI (offscreen) and DDRC-24 (offscreen).

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 23.20.34.png

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 22.41.45.png

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 22.44.31.png

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Great! My experience is that the improvements associated with multichannel are substantial and readily apparent. I can't think of a equipment change with such a positive impact. (Also it's hard not to sound like you just joined a cult.) Unfortunately there is relatively little source material and no streaming to speak of. Fortunately, I like classical and there's a lot (relatively) of that. I learned how to rip SACDs. :)

PS. I am not 100% sure what "natively recorded in 5.1" means when many recordings start with a gazillion of tracks anyway. Certainly some 5.1 mixes are better than others, and mixing choices may or may not match your personal preferences.
I see, I meant something recorded with multichannel in mind, not just upmixed from stereo. On that subject, how do you do for stereo content? Upmix or just use two speakers?

Weeb Labs

Ouch, the sweet spot must be the size of a grain of sand.
It's quite narrow but the distances were carefully measured, so my head is typically within the correct range by default.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Updated set up: Topping D90 and A90 stack, and some JBL LSR305 monitors with a LSR310S sub that I got on sale, and still too many headphones. Running Foobar and Tidal, been trying Audirvana and JRiver, but am happy with the free Foobar.
Would take a pic, but my desk is a frigging mess.

mkt

I see, I meant something recorded with multichannel in mind, not just upmixed from stereo. On that subject, how do you do for stereo content? Upmix or just use two speakers?
I don't really know how recordings are made. :)

With multi-track recording you can record instruments separately and then mix down those tracks to 2 channels or more. Even if multichannel was not the intention, the multi-track recordings might be enough for a good 5.1 mix. Like this (which I really like) https://www.mixonline.com/recording/talking-heads-51-375349
Or it can be more deliberate like this with an 11.1ch microphone array for 11.1 channel playback http://classicalmusicrecording.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-state-of-art-are-we-recording-score.html
For stereo, I just use two speakers, and it's nice too.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Unfortunately there is relatively little source material and no streaming to speak of.

Although not lossless and limited, one can get multichannel audio from streaming sites e.g. Netflix, Microsoft store, etc. for movies, shows and concerts -- I use both and it works. Problem with using a PC is some streaming apps in Windows do not yet support it e.g. Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Youtube, Crunchyroll. One would need a separate streaming device like an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield and route audio to your mch DAC interface somehow, or maybe even use a separate receiver.

Frankly, I don't have space for a receiver... but I almost always upmix all stereo content to mch regardless -- that is, if I'm using my mch system.

Reactions: mkt

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Mission Control

Desk.jpg

I'm not sure what to do about stands for the speakers. I currenty have them stood on foam blocks sandwiched between granite slabs; I think they're supposed to be chopping boards. It works, it decouples the speakers from the desk somewhat and makes them about the right height, and it sounds OK, but looks a bit Heath Robinson, not that i'm overly bothered, it's not the living room.

Dynaudio have a dedicated stand, it's quite industrial looking, which I actully quite like, but they're not cheap at over £300.00 for a pair:

1603562094179.png

I was also looking at some Isoacoustics stands:

1603562874037.png

These are a little cheaper at ~£250 a pair, but have some mixed reviews, it seems they work well, but the fit and finish isn't great and a few have remarked that they seem expensive for what they are.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Mission Control

View attachment 89356

I'm not sure what to do about stands for the speakers. I currenty have them stood on foam blocks sandwiched between granite slabs; I think they're supposed to be chopping boards. It works, it decouples the speakers from the desk somewhat and makes them about the right height, and it sounds OK, but looks a bit Heath Robinson, not that i'm overly bothered, it's not the living room.

Dynaudio have a dedicated stand, it's quite industrial looking, which I actully quite like, but they're not cheap at over £300.00 for a pair:

View attachment 89375

I was also looking at some Isoacoustics stands:

View attachment 89381

These are a little cheaper at ~£250 a pair, but have some mixed reviews, it seems they work well, but the fit and finish isn't great and a few have remarked that they seem expensive for what they are.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Had good experience with the K&M 26772 and 26774 table stands, not too expensive, look cool and give you free desk space. Minimum height is 16 cm, though.
13247051_800.webp

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I saw those, but they're too tall, but also perhaps a bit small. I need something about 100mm/4 inches high. The Core 7 is also quite bulky, 220 x 370 x 390mm WxDxH and 15kg.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Audioengine tilted speaker stands.

I think they would be way too small, here's how they would be to scale with my speakers:

1603612109024.png

My speakers are quite big, about 370mm/14.5" deep. A lot of the shorter, smaller stands I've found have a top plate that is only 5 or 6 inches deep and I think my speakers might be a bit precarious perched on them.

In any case, I've ordered a pair of the Isoacoustics stands, I went for the lower cost plastic version: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/isoacoustics-iso200-speaker-stands-pair-black

Top Bottom