• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Audio setup is super easy
Objective 2+ODAC REV B combo
AKG K7XX(AKG K712 Pro soon)
My Ryzen Rig.

mkt

I have two setups. My work desk has an iPad Pro feeding a JDS Labs Element II driving a Focal Elex. That desk also has a stereo pair of Sonos Play:1 which are fine for listening at low volume. My music desk has a MacBook Pro feeding an RME Babyface Pro driving a pair of Adam A5X monitors and a DT1990 Pro headphone.
View attachment 56723View attachment 56724
Spiffy! What are the stands under the Adams?

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Qobuz > CCA > D50s > JDS Atom > Focal Clears

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rasberry Pi 3+ running RoPieee -> Behringer 204HD ->ATH M50X. Using JRiver as the DNLA server and JRemote on my phone.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Plugged into my PC soundcard I have a Cambridge SoundWorks MicroWorks 2.1 system that has served well for about 20 years. I think I bought it at one of their retail stores; remember those? For needledrops, I plug in a TASCAM US-122 MkII.

Karu

Forum Donor
Desktop these days: iPad->TempoTec->HE400i

0836F842-3A54-416D-978B-F1B74F721B8F.jpeg

hyperplanar

Here's my desktop setup. I dual boot Windows for gaming and macOS for producing music in Logic/programming/other productivity tasks.
  • RME Babyface Pro
  • Neumann KH120A + KH750 sub (S/PDIF optical out from Babyface -> optical-to-coax converter -> BNC in)
    • IsoAcoustics stands (not happy with these, replacing with K&M table stands soon)
    • 24" x 24" x 4" Roxul Rockboard 60 panels
  • Sennheiser HD600s
  • Technics SL-1200Mk2
    • ART DJpreII (run into unbalanced ins on Babyface)
I end up in a 45-45-90 triangle with the speakers unless I sit back a bit, but I find the interference from the table reflections when I push the speakers back unbearable.

IMG_2855.jpg

shorewalker

DSCF3785-B.jpg

Cheap-fi gear: Tracks from Google Music or Synology DS214+ NAS -> Custom silent PC running MusicBee -> Audioquest Dragonfly Black DAC -> NAD 7020e receiver -> NAD 8020e speakers (on IsoAcoustics LBR-130s) + REL T2 subwoofer (under desk). Also a Zoom H6 + Audio-Technica M40x headphones, used for telephony among other things.

This is pretty much my dream workspace and hasn't changed much in a decade. The corner location looks odd but sounds fine; the built-in jarrah veneer desk, the real luxury in this room, runs around two sides, and I get great light and views. One day I will put most of the gear on a trolley that will sit under the desk.

I roll the chair three or four metres back from time to time, but this setup is surprisingly good nearfield. The secondhand REL gave it a big lift last year. The NAD gear was bought new ... in 1988. The 7020e is a tuner-added version of the 3020e, and the speakers were actually made by KEF.

I've listened to more expensive gear since and never felt I was missing out on anything - with the exception of the times I visit a mate with a $7000 tube amp driving a pair of 5-foot Focals. I do suspect there's a pair of new bookshelf speakers somewhere in my future - hence my visits to this forum.

Last edited:

mkt

View attachment 59081
Cheap-fi gear: Tracks from Google Music or Synology DS214+ NAS -> Custom silent PC running MusicBee -> Audioquest Dragonfly Black DAC -> NAD 7020e receiver -> NAD 8020e speakers (on IsoAcoustics LBR-130s) + REL T2 subwoofer (under desk). Also a Zoom H6 + Audio-Technica M40x headphones, used for telephony among other things.

This is pretty much my dream workspace and hasn't changed much in a decade. The corner location looks odd but sounds fine; the built-in jarrah veneer desk, the real luxury in this room, runs around two sides, and I get great light and views. One day I will put most of the gear on a trolley that will sit under the desk.

I roll the chair three or four metres back from time to time, but this setup is surprisingly good nearfield. The secondhand REL gave it a big lift last year. The NAD gear was bought new ... in 1988. The 7020e is a tuner-added version of the 3020e, and the speakers were actually made by KEF.

I've listened to more expensive gear since and never felt I was missing out on anything - with the exception of the times I visit a mate with a $7000 tube amp driving a pair of 5-foot Focals. I do suspect there's a pair of new bookshelf speakers somewhere in my future - hence my visits to this forum.
Cable management envy.

nekosnugz

IMG_20200502_040625097~2.jpg

IMG_20200502_040451016~2.jpg

PC to Topping D10, to RME FS via coax.
What I was planning to do is to connect my NAS up to the RME Usb input, then I can simply use the RME remote control, but I have to take care of my mum and cat right now and there's no room.

I like the Topping since it's always active and low power.

The headphones are AKG 712 Pro (Slovak), also have Ety EXR4's, rest of my iems broke I think...

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here's mine. Genelec 8331 + 7350 sub, RME ADI-2 DAC, Stax L300 Limited with 252S amp and Sennheiser HD58X. Endgame setup, though the Stax amp could be better, but I haven't found a small good desktop model yet...
IMG_4115.jpg

mokoaguswan

I have two setups. My work desk has an iPad Pro feeding a JDS Labs Element II driving a Focal Elex. That desk also has a stereo pair of Sonos Play:1 which are fine for listening at low volume. My music desk has a MacBook Pro feeding an RME Babyface Pro driving a pair of Adam A5X monitors and a DT1990 Pro headphone.
View attachment 56723View attachment 56724
This is pleasing to look at!

Willem

Major Contributor
Unfortunately my new Tannoy's have no auto off.
You could use a master/slave power strip if you want to do it automatically. I do this in my main system and it works very well. About to do the same in my desktop system because I keep forgetting to turn off the amplifier. It will probably pay for itself within a year from saved electricity.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Tower PC under desktop, usb into ODAC, into Emotiva Control Freak volume control, into inline attenuators (amp has 0.5 Volt input sensitivity), into Quad 405-2 power amplifier, into Harbeth P3ESR speakers on IsoAcoustic desktop stands. The latter are ugly and I don't believe in the isolation story, but they bring the tweeters to exactly ear height and reduce bass boost from the desktop surface. I also use a REW correction curve into the Equalizer Apo on the PC to further correct that bass boost from the proximity to the desktop surface.

DChenery

Forum Donor
In comparison to the postings here, I have a very modest setup. An Acer i5 computer with a WDMyCloud 4TB NAS using Foobar2000 feeding to a Topping DX3-Pro V1 (purchased Nov 2018 after ASR review) to a pair of Audioengine A2+ powered speakers. For "serious listening", I use either my He-400i or Senn-660S headphones (both obtained by trading in Cathay Pacific Air Miles).

Over the past 14 months or so, I have developed an addiction to ChiFi IEMs.. Favourites are KZ- 6's, 10's Ates, KB Ears and anythying Senfer. Most fun and best Bang for the Buck I have ever experienced.

1588425816926.png

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Here's mine. Genelec 8331 + 7350 sub, RME ADI-2 DAC, Stax L300 Limited with 252S amp and Sennheiser HD58X. Endgame setup, though the Stax amp could be better, but I haven't found a small good desktop model yet...
View attachment 61424
We pretty much match. Even the same Ikea desk, if not the same width. I'd probably kill myself if forced to use that keyboard, though. Now I just have to replace my Audient by something with hardware mixing and software volume control but still with controls on the top.

By the way, found any port noise with your 7350?
out.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom