• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Tks

Major Contributor
Desk setup: Roon/Mac endpoint-> D50 -> Geshelli Archel2 -> HD650.

I must say I can‘t get over how good a match Archel2/HD650 sounds.

How's it on low-gain? Get enough juice? I feel like almost every modern amp has power through the roof when setting a DAC to 2V/4V output. They become basically unusable since any turn of the dial is just power through the roof.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Bedroom system:
Headphones - LG V20 Quad DAC NIB @ $120 (replaced D10 and Fire 7" tablet), Liquid Spark, HE400i. Very happy. No change plans

'Dresser Top" - RCA Analog from LS to CD-in Yamaha RX-396 (Goodwill $15) and JBL J2050. (Goodwill $18). 'Temporary'. Resisting itch to buy Infinity 162 pair at $159 closeout special :)

Edit: Bought the Infinities. Replaced the J2050s. 'Night and day' difference - bass. Dynamic range, clarity. Very happy.

Last edited:

Putter

Forum Donor
My bedroom system is like the house that Jack built except that every component has been carefully selected or at least shoved in there and fooled around with:rolleyes:. It's a 7.1 system with 2 height speakers. It is used for both movies and music.

Sources - Compaq computer with Windows 7, Sony BDP-S480 Blu Ray player for Blu Ray and SACD, Denon DVD-1930CI for CD and DVD Audio, Sansui TU-S77AMX Tuner and finally a ROKU 3 for streaming

Amplification- Denon AVR-1610 for stereo and multichannel, NAD 701 for Height channels

Speakers- JBL E20 Mains, Infinity Modulus MS-1 and MCC-1 for surrounds and center, Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 80 for height speakers, Definitve Technology Pro Sub 80 subwoofer

Monitor - Asus MZ279 27 inch

The JBL speakers are the latest in a long series of small bookshelves which include Infinity Primus 140 and 150, Celestion 5, PSB Alpha Mini, Boston Acoustic CR-67, GNP Model 10. I use doorstops angle the speakers to me. The JBL E20 do have that waveguide so beloved in this forum and image well and have that dynamic sound that JBL is known for.

It's relatively easy to store and change speakers and every time I change speakers it's like listening to the same music for the first time since every speaker has a different presentation. They are calibrated with Audyssey MultEq and Dynamic EQ usually set at a reference level of -10 or -15db depending on the material.

Finally, the Height setup is an experiment because the Denon has preamp outs for this feature. So far I've been unimpressed even after I jacked up the levels 10 db. I forgot because I rarely use it.

Updates/omissions to the system I described. I neglected to list a Technics SL-L2 linear tracking turntable. The phono preamp is handled by an NAD 7240PE with a blown power amp but working tuner/preamp.

Last edited:
OP
Johan Liebert

Johan Liebert

Main desktop component is my RME ADI-2 DAC fs, and usually joined with it is my iFi iCan Pro amp, but the amp is out of town right now, ;).
Ah, but what speakers/headphones?

Also what are those interesting L and R connectors?

OP
Johan Liebert

Johan Liebert

Computer -> Onkyo TX-4500mkII -> DIYSG S2000. In the picture I have a pair of Overnight Sensations that are just acting as stands. I recently added a Khadas Tone Board in the loop to play with but couldn't tell you if it makes a difference. Pardon the mess.

View attachment 54385
How do you like your DIY speakers?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have a couple of Sony SRS-150 behind the monitors, from 1992 or so.

1584306149259.png

And HD650 with a long extension across the room to the Benchmark DAC2 HGC in the rack when desired.

Basically, a "don't care" desktop setup.

The "do care" stuff is in the same room, so...

Last edited:
OP
Johan Liebert

Johan Liebert

Preference for IEMs I see.

I currently am using the Blon BL03 with foam tips when I need sound isolation.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
How's it on low-gain? Get enough juice? I feel like almost every modern amp has power through the roof when setting a DAC to 2V/4V output. They become basically unusable since any turn of the dial is just power through the roof.

@Tks Yes low gain is enough — I listen primarily to classical (most of the time). Usually max dial at 11 o’clock, anything above gets too loud.

OP
Johan Liebert

Johan Liebert

No fancy DACs. Just a pair of Swans M200 speakers and a Velodyne SPL10 subwoofer.

01..png

f2eaeb7c-a210-43fc-9c58-8e8d63553474.jpg

Here is a wiring diagram of the whole system. Two sound cards allow me to record music from the computer (Youtube for instance), or live instruments and vocals. The Yamaha preamp accommodates some traditional hi-fi components. I can record tapes or LPs to the CD recorder, which can then be ripped to the computer. Naturally, I can also play tapes, records or CDs. Hardly every do, but I can if I get the urge.

View attachment 54362

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks for the diagram!

OP
Johan Liebert

Johan Liebert

Bedroom system:
Headphones - LG V20 Quad DAC NIB @ $120 (replaced D10 and Fire 7" tablet), Liquid Spark, HE400i. Very happy. No change plans

'Dresser Top" - RCA Analog from LS to CD-in Yamaha RX-396 (Goodwill $15) and JBL J2050. (Goodwill $18). 'Temporary'. Resisting itch to buy Infinity 162 pair at $159 closeout special :)
Well they are strikingly similar to the Revel M16's at almost 1/5th the price.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I worked last I did have a stereo speaker pair with a small sub under the desk, a Logitech something or other. Before that a portable cd player/boom box combo. Couldn't really use it except when staying after hours, was on the phone most of the day anyways. In retirement, no desk and don't miss it :)

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ah, but what speakers/headphones?

Also what are those interesting L and R connectors?
Just a Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 set I bought about 8 years ago, but I have some of the older model JBL LSR305 monitors I picked up for $150 for the pair I need to hook up.
Lots of headphones.
Connectors you lost me with.

OP
Johan Liebert

Johan Liebert

Just a Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 set I bought about 8 years ago, but I have some of the older model JBL LSR305 monitors I picked up for $150 for the pair I need to hook up.
Lots of headphones.
Connectors you lost me with.
I also have those Logitech speakers but they're currently with my little brother. Right now I'm using Sennheiser 58X headphones right now.

I was talking about those L and R connectors here.

https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Pro-iCAN-header-818.jpg

3 pin XLR?

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I also have those Logitech speakers but they're currently with my little brother. Right now I'm using Sennheiser 58X headphones right now.

I was talking about those L and R connectors here.

https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Pro-iCAN-header-818.jpg

3 pin XLR?
Oh, sorry. They are indeed dual 3 pin XLR connectors if you have a cable for them. They are also the 6.3mm single ended jack for your cans, and you can use both at the same time, and I have run both Senn HD600 and 650 together to test if they sounded different, but didn't do much more than those two.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Home (speakers), currently (may switch a few things out over the next month):
miniDSP Studio SHD, coax digital outputs
SMSL M300 Mk. I -> Neumann KH 80 DSP on mounts cobbled together from Ergotron monitor mount parts and PA speaker pole mount adapters
Topping D30 -> D-Sonic amp (2x Icepower 500ASP) -> 2x Dayton RSS265HF-4 in Velodyne SC10 cabinets

Home (headphones): HeadRoom Desktop Amp -> Sennheiser HD 580, NAD Viso HP50

Office (speakers): ELAC EA101-EQ-G -> Mirage OMD-5 on K&M's smallest tabletop speaker stands and Tannoy TS10 subwoofer by my shins

Office (headphones): HeadRoom Desktop Amp -> Sennhesier HD 650, Hifiman HE400S, MrSpeakers Alpha Dog 3

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's mine. I don't use EQ on any of my setups and Yamaha HS7 has a -2 dB cut on both High trim and room correction switches

Near field active bedroom:
Surface Pro 2017 fanless -> iFi iUSB 3.0 micro -> Schiit Bifrost 2 -> Schiit Saga -> Yamaha HS7+HS8S

Portables:
A&Ultima SP2000 -> Campfire Audio Andromeda (no hissing whatsoever with Andromeda on unbalanced jack)
iPhone 6 -> FiiO BTR5 (BT AAC) -> Campfire Audio Vega (FiiO BTR5 pairs so well with this IEM to my subjective preferences)
iPod Touch 7G -> Chord Mojo -> Campfire Audio Comet or Vega

Crane

Forum Donor
Here is mine placed on a desktop sitting across my bed:

DAC/HP AMP: Matrix Element X
Speaker Amp: IOM Ncore NC252 (XLR to Element)
Headphones: AKG K7xx, Sendy Aiva, Vokyl Erupts
Speakers: Micca RB42C in pair

Uses: Near-Field for my PC, Mid-Far for my TV which hangs above my TV. Speaker is leveled with bed for listening/Desk Chair.

Thinking of changing my speakers out for something better. Previously tried Adam A5X which are amazing near-field and decent mid-far. Revel M126BE out of this world, had to move them to my living/theater setup.

Top Bottom