• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your country's unofficial national anthem / song (city, area ditto also ok!)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
At basically all parties, even apparently in other places / countries:

If you do not take the whole schnapps, you will not get half a schnapps (shot glass) later. That's just what the song is about.Silly song, but so what.:p

Edit:
They sing it wrong but the same thing there,so what.:p
(they miss the most important thing in the song, that is, to take the whole schnapps)

Attachments

• image-197.jpg
    image-197.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Guess the country:
Well, obviously. And major evidence that the flag is the wrong colour. snollebolleke, I need help, I think google is going to mess it up... ...oh, it says curmudgeon. :-s That doesn't make sense. need context. ...Is de koning an old curmudgeon?
...PS: ok, got it.

Katji

Major Contributor
In my DNA spiral, thousands of years old faith in freedom is intertwined with song
" Sun Thunder Daugava "
wow. Awesome.
And I got to the wiki on "the singing events." I never knew, any of it. :'/

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
IMO, the single best live performance of the US national anthem. The man puts soul into that song, so much so that by the end the groove is so moving that people are clapping:

litemotiv

Ouch! I guess I live there, but I'd rather pick a song I can stand...

Yes it's certainly quite a horrible tune. ;-)

With Radar Love however one downside is that it's in English, which perhaps doesn't really fit the idea of a national song...

Maybe this could be a good option?

It captures the blending of the Dutch melancholy and perpetual optimism so beautifully, i don't think it could have been created in any other country.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Aha,

I had guessed that you would mention this:

:D

I would agree with Winds Of Change. it seams strange since it is in english, but the song clearly simbolizes the recent history.
sad btw, how Germany's music culture is basicly american since the 80ies or so. If you ask me the Schlager is better than Germans think it is. Griechischer Wein is a fantastic song for example

litemotiv

I would agree with Winds Of Change. it seams strange since it is in english, but the song clearly simbolizes the recent history.

It's a song about the fall of the Soviet Union, the first lines of the lyrics are "Follow the Moskva, down to Gorky Park". As an unofficial anthem for Germany that might be a little unintuitive...

litemotiv

It is more about the fall of the big wall for Germans

It's not, i just quoted you part of the lyrics...

The song was released in two versions, English and Russian.

Edit: there were ofcourse broader implications of the USSR falling, and the song certainly resonated in Germany for this reason. But both the original intention of the song as well as the lyrics are only about Russia.

dasdoing

Major Contributor

The song became associated with the Revolutions of 1989 and the Fall of the Berlin Wall also in 1989 and was performed by the Scorpions at the Brandenburg Gate on 9 November 1999, during the 10th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall.[21][22] In 2005, viewers of the German television network ZDF chose this song as the song of the century

I understand it seams a little strange. I guess if the song was in German, it wouldn't work. Personaly I lived in West-Berlin when the wall fell, and though my english was pretty good, I could never understand that russian stuff in the lyrics. it was more about the "wind of change"

Top Bottom