• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Young Generation Listening HAbits and What Hifi Industry need to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorakeg

Just a discussion on how audio industry needs to evolve or change in order to survive for next 50-100 year.. I strongly believe that young generation listening habits today is very very different from us.

To me, I felt that young generation listening habits are totally different from older ones. They like mobility (able to listen anywhere they want). They are also more visual, rather than just listening, they also like to watch videos. Their attention span is much shorter and presumely lack patience.

My newphew/neice likes to listen to their fav songs but mostly on their phones/laptops. When I ask them if they want to listen on my gear, they did try to but attention span was very short. After around 10mins, they are back to broswing on their phones instead of focusing on the songs. They find it boring to sit there and do nothing... They find the songs louder and a bit clearer on my gear but thats about it.

They are also somewhat amused at the size and amount of gear needed just to produce sound.... They tell me my phone and laptop can do the same and its much smaller and way cheaper!! Haha.....

Looks wise?? Nope, they find my gear ugly or rather fugly.... The say it looks very old fashioned and out of place... GIven a choice they will never buy such things... They preer something that looks small and sleek. They did mention about Sonos sound bar looks nice and cool. They also prefer all-in-one rather than so many different boxes.

The only time they are impressed is when I was playing movies in the room. They were impressed by the large screen (I was using a projector) and the effects (I have 5.1 system). They felt like they are in the cinema. But its the big screen that matter most..lol.

So, I am thinking that hifi may have to move towards being lifestyle product. I think ultra-high end gears are fine as they are. But mainstream products will likely need to evolve. All-in-one devices will likely become more and more popular insted of separates (eg. wireless/dac/pre/power into 1).

Feel free to share what you think.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The music industry would benefit from a revival of MTV. Music videos and concerts continue to have very high production values (for the music that the kids listen to).

You already have that somewhat in YouTube, but if you improved the sound quality, that would a great way to showcase what a very good sound system can do.

I also think Sonos is doing a great job. Just look at these measurements;

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Since we've got a thread on a very similar subject, I'll just leave a link and close this one so we can keep it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom