• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You need specific wire construction in a power cable to cover full spectrum

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power supplies a question ? tradition hifi power supplies are not even LC or or LCLC just a big toroid transformer rectifier and a lot of capacitance ? The current in to such supply is obviously full of spikes as the diodes only conducts in small periods and have to charge the capacitance then .

In large electrical drive systems a thing I actually work with we have some more modern solutions we have need for rectifiers in megawatts sizes to make DC that is feed to AC drives that runs AC motors in the process a steel mill or paper mill .

We have active rectifiers that draws roughly sinusodial current albeit with some noise and distortion with a power factor very close to 1 ( or adjustable pf compensation or overtone compensation on the side ).

Why do big large high end amps still uses big bulky passive inefficient supplies ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Robb Report: Why RSX’s Phono and Power Cables Will Transform Your Sound System.
https://robbreport.com/gear/audio/rsxs-cables-improve-sound-system-dramatically-2908021/

Always love it when the argument is a total joke:

No subject in the world of audio is laced with greater contention than a discussion about cables. Those who hear improvements in their sound system wrought by costly cables are often ridiculed by technically orthodox types who claim that all cables with similar specifications must sound alike. Which is a bit like saying that because two wines are made from fruit in adjacent vineyards, blending the same percentages of varietals, with the same fermentation process, registering the same alcohol levels and brix, they’ll taste approximately the same.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a snapshot from the attached white paper.
Jesus !! Now I understand why this is such a great cable, and a salty one :p.

A69864E3-338F-4462-9ABD-95579F12492A.png

mansr

Major Contributor
Always love it when the argument is a total joke:
No subject in the world of audio is laced with greater contention than a discussion about cables. Those who hear improvements in their sound system wrought by costly cables are often ridiculed by technically orthodox types who claim that all cables with similar specifications must sound alike. Which is a bit like saying that because two wines are made from fruit in adjacent vineyards, blending the same percentages of varietals, with the same fermentation process, registering the same alcohol levels and brix, they’ll taste approximately the same.
In my experience, two wines as described do in fact taste approximately the same. Not necessarily exactly the same, but pretty close.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
In my experience, two wines as described do in fact taste approximately the same. Not necessarily exactly the same, but pretty close.

Putting aside the incorrect use of "varietal," one of my fingernails-on-blackboard things, what was left out was differing elevage, wood, and bottling practice. :D

So whoever wrote that knows as much about wine and winemaking as he does about basic electricity.

mansr

Major Contributor
Putting aside the incorrect use of "varietal," one of my fingernails-on-blackboard things, what was left out was differing elevage, wood, and bottling practice. :D

So whoever wrote that knows as much about wine and winemaking as he does about basic electricity.
I took it to mean "wines made with no glaring differences in grapes or methods" even if every possible variation wasn't listed explicitly. The point being, readily identified aspects of the wine do predict its taste, making the entire argument invalid.

ta240

Major Contributor
Can't blame PS for joining in. When customer asks "what cable do you recommend?", you want to be able to sell say "OURS!" "
Tsa-tsiing.
Same reason why auto shops sell tires, and the good ones own an alignment rack :)

It is funny how things like this escalate. They did a video a few years back where he talked about how important power wires were; they've offered power cables for quite some time. He started it off with saying you need good gauge wires and that shielding was important to keep the wire from introducing noise into neighboring wires. That sales pitch at least started off with logic; which is often key in selling this type of stuff. It then went into fantasy land a bit; but the foundation in reality made it still seem somewhat sane. This is just nuts from the start; the idea that having a rectangular shaped wire added to a power cord is going to help different frequencies come out of your amplifier better is mind bendingly absurd.

They skipped starting this with any logic. Somehow they made the leap from different frequencies liking different wire for interconnects to different frequencies liking power from different wires.

It could, but there are always bigger fish to fry. The Federal Trade Commission is understaffed and can only afford to go after the biggest scammers. It needs to effect tons of people or make the news and generate political pressure in order for them to spend time on it.

And would it be a case of the FTC having to prove the product didn't do what it says rather than BS Audio having to prove it does? Proving a negative is harder and really hard when the manufacture probably says "you can't test for it and you won't find the difference in a blind test but if people know what they are listening to they will hear it"

At the end of the day there are people scamming old people out of their retirement funds and in comparison people with too much money to spend buying thousand dollar power cables from relatively small companies to get better frequency response out of their amplifier just doesn't seem that important.

My favorite was still the unboxing video for the Sprout 100 that they had one of their employees do. The guy took the power cord out of the box and said something along the lines of "it's a basic cheap power cord, you'll want to upgrade that". The comments on the video ripped them a new one for suggesting that people use a several hundred dollar power cable on a several hundred dollar amplifier and if the included cable was so bad then why did they include that one with the amp. They quickly pulled the video and cut that part out.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This gives me an idea: a tunable power cord! I’ll have to patent it... with built-in DSP processor for anyone who wants to control the midrange, the bass and the upper frequencies much more precisely. I don’t understand how this is not a product yet!?

Dimitri

This is just nuts from the start; the idea that having a rectangular shaped wire added to a power cord is going to help different frequencies come out of your amplifier better is mind bendingly absurd.
It only has to make sense to the person buying it.
At least no one has come up with "audio batteries" ... yet :facepalm: (that I know of)

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly! And you should know that a fellow by the name of George Tice did find in the 80's a way to "program" electrons to flow in a certain fashion. So he programmed his TPT Power conditionner so that electrons would behave correctly. He even took a plebeian Radio Shack clock ($25) and programmed it to make your system sourd better. the Tice Clock then sold for $350, a bargain for what it did. It was reviewed by the Absolute Sound and Stereophile; they found it good so ...

Actually, I remember John Atkinson panning the Tice Clock in Stereophile.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This gives me an idea: a tunable power cord! I’ll have to patent it... with built-in DSP processor for anyone who wants to control the midrange, the bass and the upper frequencies much more precisely. I don’t understand how this is not a product yet!?
Better check prior art carefully -- sounds like something "Sideshow Bob" Carver might've already covered with his "Transfer Function" amp designs! ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the majority with a TT don't want anything digital or DSP even close to their blessed analog purity.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So this will not sell?? I'm so disappointed! :)
It'll sell like hotcakes to the right crowd -- the pipes just need to be appropriately pre-greased to accept it (so to speak). ;)

I mean, folks buy cables with batteries in 'em!

The best feature of all for the voice-tunable DSP power cords* -- they can be self-powered! :cool:
The mind simply boggles at the universe multiverse of possibilities.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow, I got back on the Audiogon email spamming list - and look at the gem I got this morning - a $27,000 power cord from High Fidelity Cables. LINK.

This level of b.s. puts PS Audio to shame.

HFCables.jpg

Top Bottom