• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You have $4000. What speakers do you buy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28042
  • Start date

Valhalla

Linkwitz LX521 with two Hypex DLCPs and five Hypex Nc252MP amplifiers. I would still have some money for a DAC.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd get $4000 worth of bitcoin and buy some $8000 speakers 3 months later.

I wish you can sell bitcoins as easily as you buy them without having to justify where the money comes from (not talking about <10.000$ though).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'd submit that personal preference is the only thing that is real and matters, to any given person (mine to me, yours to you).
It's irrelevant that preferences may adjust with time; a person's current preferences are all that matters.

My preference may not be aligned with theirs.
Their preference does not matter to me, nor do I consider it some sacred thing that must be preserved.
In the end, it always comes to hedonism vs untouched art, which is a difference I'm happy to stop at.
Whenever I scientifically measure with a calibrated mic, apply DSP to integrate multiple subwoofers, and tune the bass with a +6dB rising house curve as it slopes to 20Hz... that's simultaneously scientific, and embracing my preference.
That's just the Harman curve? Nothing revolutionary here. I do prefer B&K's, though, but the difference between those is quite small and dependant on the room's absorption spectrum.
A reminder that this thread is titled, "You have $4000. What speakers do you buy?".

That's entirely about personal preference.
You know fully well that it's just a wording, as OP is clearly asking for recommendations for himself.

flyzipper

You know fully well that it's just a wording, as OP is clearly asking for recommendations for himself.

I don't know that, and neither do you. We both applied our own interpretation of what the OP was asking, and that's fine. Since the OP didn't specify a use-case or requirements beyond price, it's not unreasonable to assume they're just examining how other people approach the question, rather than actually looking for recommendations for themselves.

Are you going to answer the OP's question, or will you simply focus on nitpicking other people's posts?

Reactions: Hon

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let's say you have $4000 and you want to buy a pair of speakers. You can spend less, but not more than $4000. What make and model would you purchase? Bookshelves? Floor standers? What would you purchase and WHY would you but that make and model? Please recommend something that is currently produced.
Do you have amplification? If so what.

Do you care about aesthetics? There are many companies that sell the same speaker with unfinished cabinets that might squeeze into your price range.

What size room?

What purpose? Desk/computer or living room?

Do you have children? Bookshelves on stands could get you more bang for your buck, but kids might knock over stands.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I don't know that, and neither do you. We both applied our own interpretation of what the OP was asking, and that's fine. Since the OP didn't specify a use-case or requirements beyond price, it's not unreasonable to assume they're just examining how other people approach the question, rather than actually looking for recommendations for themselves.

Are you going to answer the OP's question, or will you simply focus on nitpicking other people's posts?
I’m with q3cpma on this one. How would the OP know how much money I have to spend?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Please recommend something that is currently produced.
It's clearly not a free-for-all. Which would be quite uninteresting, to be honest.
Ehhhh, probably something from Genelec or Neumann, knowing myself. Just tired of living another eternal september, I should really either ignore the overrun or just delete my account and only read the reviews.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding - How many don't - I don't know as i'm almost certain neither do you. Pretty safe bet most people listen to music using speakers. Seems as if your trying to create controversy where none is needed.

Regarding - Only when their bad comment- Speakers ( plus the room ) are the final tool in the chain to produce the music we hear. Good or bad.

Regarding - Remains to be proved, in the case of people with normal/non-damaged hearing.- I' assume you meant remains to be proven. Talk with any Otolaryngologists and I'm sure he or she will confirm, people hear things differently, whether to hearing loss, normal hearing, extraordinary hearing, dry ear, fluid in ear, etc. All of these things effect the way you or anyone else interprets sound. Point is, just because you hear one thing from a certain speaker, they next guy may hear something else.

To your last point regarding my reasoning- My statements shouldn't be controversial on any forum. You can say what you like, science can say what is accurate, my point was and still is, regardless of either. People do have their own preferences especially when it comes to speakers. We do listen to music coming from the speakers.
While the science says a more flat response is correct, that doesn't change the fact that not everyone prefers a flat response. Think of all the bad measuring speakers out there. One example, the Klipsch ( heresy, cornwall, heritage ) speakers. While they are a nightmare with the measurements, yet they still seem to have loyal following of people who just adore them. Although most folks i know don't like them, they have a sound signature that some folks do prefer.
Which comes down to what i stated earlier, most people have their own personal preference when it comes to speakers. That's why when it comes to people asking for recommendations, I'm not sure how I can be wrong by telling someone the best advice is to go and audition them for yourself.
As to your ketchup gourmet scenario, that's just being silly. ( real men use mustard :)) Who are you or i to say who is or isn't a gourmet because of whatever ingredient they choose to use. It's no different, when people start arguing over, what is an audiophile. Who cares? If someone enjoys and loves listening to music, want to call him or herself an audiophile, well then good for them. Whatever equipment you choose to get you there and accomplishes your goal of audio nirvana, in the end usually boils down to some form of personal preference. Neither science nor our ears are perfect. Measurements are great and all, but as alot of people would agree who have or use any type of room correction software tools, in the end a little user personal preference tweaking occurs.

Personal preference is a thing. I agree with you there.

However, science shows us that the vast majority of people have the same personal preference, so I still think it makes sense to recommend speakers that would be preferred by that vast majority. Revel, KEF, Genelec, JBL, Neumann all speakers that fit that bill. While it's possible that OP is part of that minority that doesn't prefer neutral speakers, it's far more likely that he's part of the majority.

Also, unless you can get out and audition all the same speakers in the same room, and under blind conditions, I'm not sure that's more likely to lead to a better result than picking based on measurements. Sighted expectation biases will often dwarf subtle differences between speakers.

As for Klipsch. I'm sure there are those that really do prefer those speakers, but I'd bet most of them wouldn't actually pick them under blind conditions ;).

Last edited:

mjvbl

My first thought happens to be right now is Kef LS50 Meta and two sealed subs with defeatable crossovers, and a DSP box to implement the crossover to the subs and bass management. Even though I'm not a huge fan of having to have a separate amp box around for passives.

Two subs also because symmetry, of course they should be configured mono. Passive subs would be even cooler in this case, cabling would be cleaner, with the amps, DSP, mains power together in one location and cables going out to the speakers and subs.

Valhalla

As for Klipsch. I'm sure there are those that really do prefer those speakers, but I'd bet most of them wouldn't actually pick them under blind conditions ;).

Klipsch Heritage series horns (Klipschorn, La Scala) midrange horn honky coloration could be easily detected in a blind test. I'm amazed why would Klipsch stick to exponential profile horns that sound so unpleasant. the only good part of these speakers is the bass bin itself.

Valhalla

for 4000USD a Klipsch Jubilee clone (Or Jamboree) with K402 horns and BMS 4590 coaxial compression driver with DSP and four channels of Hypex Ncore amps would be something diabolical.
232.gif

index.php

Hon

I’m with q3cpma on this one. How would the OP know how much money I have to spend?

It's a hypothetical--a survey. OP doesn't need to "know" anything about you. It's better to take the question at face value. It does not compare well with other instances where an OP clearly is asking for recommendations.

In any case, the answers reveal more about the community as a whole than they do about any individual choice.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few days ago, I would have answered "Genelec 8350", but now that I saw @amirm prefer the Triangle Esprit Antal Ez 3-way to Revel M16 just because it has more drivers and gives a "larger, more realistic image", I would hesitate.

tuga

Major Contributor
How many don't? More specifically: how many don't when blinded and not looking at their shiny baubles? Anyway, it makes sense to consider that such a general question comes from someone who listen to music using speakers, and not speakers themselves. The neurotic gear obsessed people probably already know what they want, and would add a bit more detail to the question.

Only when they're bad (inb4 circle of confusion).

Remains to be proved, in the case of people with normal/non-damaged hearing.

Your reasoning would be non controversial in an audiophile forum. I'm pretty sure preference does exist in the case of people listening to speakers, that's the entire point of the hobby, but not so much in the case of this other hobby called music listening.
People who put ketchup on everything they eat aren't gourmets, they're just ketchup fans.

That sounds a wee bit patronising. And since most people buy speakers that they like with their eyes open it is also a wee bit wishful thinking...

Bear123

Revel F208, and I'd add a C208 center channel of course as I don't want to be limited to only 2 channels. I'm betting all three could be gotten for right around $4k. Maybe a little over from a dealer but a used center should bring things in line. They seem to be popping up here and there as people upgrade to the C426Be.

My reasons are, the F208 seems to offer unmatched sound quality(i.e superb spins and dispersion), power handling, low distortion, extension and SPL capability for the price.

Fortunately, I already have a pair of good subs so I'm sticking to spending the entire $4000 budget on the speakers. I suppose the question is different if $4000 is the total budget for sound reproduction(excluding electronics). In that case, a pair of subs would have to be included in the cost.

Hephaestus

I have noticed that more and more people from "audiophile circles" are joining this forum and having hard time to let go from their misinformed thoughts about sound reproduction.

Personally I cannot understand. Why to join here and continue that *******?

I found this forum by accident because I was figuring out that why there was always something wrong with my sound system - no matter how much I have read "rave reviews" from typical Audio magazines and purchased some expensive highly regarded bling bling.

I had read already some books about speaker design etc. before I found this place. More I read here, more I started to understand (at least on some level). There is still a lots of stuff that I have no idea but at least I try to learn more.
We have wonderful amount of information on this site. Talented members sharing their knowledge. Amir is doing so great job to inform people thru this forum and now via YouTube as well.

Sorry for the rant but I really hope that some new audiophile members would have a little more patience and interest to read thru the forum and implement the information in their own systems before starting to argue here..

Regards
Ex-Audiophool who wasted ***load of money before finding ASR.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

With that kind of reasoning, you can't even be sure that OP asks a question and wants an answer.

Top Bottom