• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You get what you pay for? Not so much

carewser

I've always been a poor shlub so i've never had expensive gear but the one time I spring for some costly speakers ($1100/pair CAN now) I have nothing but problems. It started before I even hooked the speakers up, they were the floor model which mean't the salesman had to repackage them for me and when I got home I was missing the cord to the subwoofer so I had to go back to the store but they only had one enormously long A/V cord so they gave that to me. The next problem came when I was looking closely at the AMT tweeter as i'd never owned a speaker with AMT tweeters before and I noticed flaws in one of them, like someone had rubbed a pen or pencil against it-some of the little tiny AMT fins were bent although I doubt this affected the sound. The next problem was the most serious of all, power surges. As they are active speakers they are mean't to be plugged in all the time and when not using them I just put them into sleep mode but the problem was, occasionally when I turned them on/off the woofer would look like it was going to jump out of the cabinet due to a sudden power surge. Last night while I was listening to music the speakers did their power surge thing again and the volume suddenly went through the roof making me lunge for the volume control on the speaker. This is a common issue with these speakers as I read Amazon reviews and others have had this problem too. So I told the company all about the power surges and after taking a picture of the receipt and giving them the serial #, the company agreed to replace them but I don't own a car so now I have to figure out how to get them to the UPS store to package them up (I took a cab home when I bought them) and send them back not to mention the packaging and shipping expense i'll be on the hook for as I threw out the box they came in. Buy local they said so I thought I was doing the right thing by buying Kanto's TOTL Tuk speakers as they are a BC company and the sale price was so low ($700/pair CAN) I was originally thrilled but it hasn't worked out at all.

Last edited:

Chester

That must be very disappointing for you, not at all what you expect. I hope things work out and you can enjoy your music.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ouch... I feel your pain. :facepalm: I use Kijiji and rent a guy and a truck for a hour for some stuff where I need a truck.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That sucks when it's an ordeal to return them. I wonder if they repair them or if you video recorded them not working you could just dispose of them and they could send you a new pair.

I remember listening to their TUK speakers at a convention before they were released and enjoying them, that's too bad they didn't last long enough.

Top Bottom