• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

yet More Topping E30.. but more... peregrinated...

g-force

I am old. Old and probably uninformed. I think buying stereo is much easier than finding new music that is worth my time. For what that is worth; probably because I am not wealthy enough to have sifted the snake-oil, nor an engineer to have tested it; nor geeky enough to even really know 'The Audio Terms'. But when ya' hear it; it's obvious... + or - .03%.
So I have been binging ASR. Amir's convincing reviews and excellent yootoob vids have, for me; 'the ring of truth'. Good enough to take a flyer. ( or because skiing is Better; a $200 flyer. )
About a decade ago I scored; probably beyond my wildest luck; a pair of 1989 Celestion 5000 "near-speakers"; they have a 21" electrostatic strip and an 8" woof. These are so rare that they have hardly/never been reviewed. Meister John Atkinson did so but he seems to have had bad luck and kinda damned them with faint praise; but he did call them near-speakers. However: They are fkn great speakers; especially at apartment dweller's non-eviction levels. I would rather listen to them than my STAX L300's.
For over a decade I've been using an AudioEngine D1. And a Yaquin 2100 integrated amp; toobular pre -but so what. Oh; a more recent score was a $50 pair of PSAudio XStream-statement cables. I can hear and now I Believe ( or at least they are better than the on-sale StraightWire from 30 years ago ) So; all in I am less than a seson's ski-pass price.
Just because ' DAC's must have improved' in a decade and on Amir's Recommended and $199 via Amazon in five days... My Topping E30 just arrived. Them fat-ass pythons from PSAudio made me a cable believer and the E30 made me a new DAC believer. Mostly TIDAL - good enough fer now.
It is just MORE. Definitely more image/space. More Stuff Just Hanging There. More food and wine terms applied to speakers. It must be the new DAC. Just a bit more and definitely in the Entertainment Zone.. Verging on The Compelling. I come ever closer to re-incarnating Frank. Make a Jazz Noise Here. And I now wonder what new crossovers would do... any advice ?

Attachments

• IMG_2230.jpeg
    IMG_2230.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Top Bottom