• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yet another snake oil cable....or? (Ludic Silenos speaker cables with carbon)

ppataki

Major Contributor
I have good experience with Ludic cables, I have two of their optical cables in my current system and I think they have quite a good price/value ratio

They have recently released their new speaker cables, the Silenos which has a carbon layer added around the copper conductor
They claim that it will do 'magic' to the sound.....I have read whatever I could find but it sounds total BS for me, especially at this price. Their claims are blurry, fluffy and do not make much sense, at least to me. I had an email conversation with them but that did not help much either in understanding more about it...

The only reason why I am still not 100000% skeptical is that I used to own other carbon treated cables too in the past, the Sommer Carbokab which is a really great cable and I totally loved them
Sommer is a studio cable manufacturer, definitely not in the snake oil business so that made me wonder about the raison d'etre of the carbon layer...
Sommer claims that:
'Linear audio transmission due to carbon conductor smoothing to emulate the benefits of a solid wire' and that 'SOMMER CABLE has developed the new SC-Carbokab 225 with a conductor smoothing of highly compressed carbon that is directly applied to the concentrically stranded wires. It offers the same electrical benefits like a solid wire, yet stays flexible and guarantees consistent, excellent values.'

Anybody has any experience or comments about it? Is this total marketing BS or is there anything that would justify the carbon layer and the 'magical sound' they claim about it?
Thank you

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Snake oil award winner of the week. Congrats

Edit. Sorry I have to correct myself. I take it back after having a closer look. No claim of strange sound improvements. Carbon seems indeed more for mechanical reasons ie flexibility.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have good experience with Ludic cables, I have two of their optical cables in my current system and I think they have quite a good price/value ratio

They have recently released their new speaker cables, the Silenos which has a carbon layer added around the copper conductor
They claim that it will do 'magic' to the sound.....I have read whatever I could find but it sounds total BS for me, especially at this price. Their claims are blurry, fluffy and do not make much sense, at least to me. I had an email conversation with them but that did not help much either in understanding more about it...

The only reason why I am still not 100000% skeptical is that I used to own other carbon treated cables too in the past, the Sommer Carbokab which is a really great cable and I totally loved them
Sommer is a studio cable manufacturer, definitely not in the snake oil business so that made me wonder about the raison d'etre of the carbon layer...
Sommer claims that:
'Linear audio transmission due to carbon conductor smoothing to emulate the benefits of a solid wire' and that 'SOMMER CABLE has developed the new SC-Carbokab 225 with a conductor smoothing of highly compressed carbon that is directly applied to the concentrically stranded wires. It offers the same electrical benefits like a solid wire, yet stays flexible and guarantees consistent, excellent values.'

Anybody has any experience or comments about it? Is this total marketing BS or is there anything that would justify the carbon layer and the 'magical sound' they claim about it?
Thank you
Note that Sommer's reasoning behind their design is purely for mechanical reasons (cable being more flexible can reduce stress on the connectors). They only say that their cables perform no worse electrically than solid wires.

sommer.jpg

Top Bottom