• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yannick Nezet-Seguin at the Phildelphia Orchestra and the Metropolitan Opera

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
This is very exciting news as of today for me personally. Our Philadelphia Orchestra's Music Director, YNS as we call him, has contractually extended his tenure here through the 2026 season. It was also announced that he wil become the full time Music Director at the Metropolitan Opera beginning in 2020, succeeding James Levine.

We absolutely love him here in Philadelphia. He has taken our breath away, young and old alike. And, it is fitting, based on rave reviews of his work as guest conductor at the Met, that he should be honored in this way by being appointed to artistic control of one of the most prestigious opera companies in the world. He well deserves all these accolades and votes of confidence, comparatively young man though he still is. He is a truly extraordinary musician.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who's that kid? :)

I need to refresh my Classical listening. I didn't know about him.. Any recording on Tidal or Spotify?

OP
F

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Dunno, Frantz. I know neither of those sites has good search capilities for classical, but you might try some lookups on his name, although I did not include the French accents as I spelled it. He is French-Canadian from Montreal. I do not use those services.

I do not think there are any recordings with the Philadelphia Orchestra, and not a boatload from Rotterdam or Montreal where he also is/was Music Director. But, there was a Ravel: Daphnis and Chloe from Rotterdam on SACD in the past year that was pretty good.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have not heard it but this has gotten some good comments on the Web:
MI0004005388.jpg

OP
F

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Side story for those interested.

Even before the resignation of Christoph Eshenbach in 2008, there has been quite a bit of turmoil in Philly over the Music Director position here. Eschenbach had been a hastily arranged Plan B after Sir Simon Rattle declined the post in Philly. That was a really good, cliff hanger, because the chance for signing Rattle seemed very good. He was then the most exciting rising star among the world's conductors and a frequent and beloved guest conductor here. But, he opted for the job at the Berlin Philharmonic, perhaps the most prestigious such post there is. I might have done the same, if it were me, following in the footsteps of Von Karajan and all that.

Sir Simon is now moving on from Berlin to the London Symphony Orchestra in the years ahead, another of the tippy-top positions for orchestra conductors, but one that needs some work and development. He has already convinced them that they need to replace their acoustically atrocious hall at the Barbican, which is not all that old.

Meanwhile, Eschenbach's leadership did not go well for a number of reasons, and he resigned rather suddenly after his short 5-tear tenure. But, the Board did not want to rush things this time as they had in the appointment of Eschenbach. So, Charles Dutoit, who is terrific, filled in admirably in Philly for a number of years after Eschenbach, but without being granted the Music Director title. His tenure was obviously understood to be temporary. Then, along comes this young, openly, but not flagrantly gay dude YNS in his 30's as Music Director. I believe it was Dutoit himself who recommended YNS for consideration. He would not have been my choice at the time. I liked Vladimir Jurowski, myself, another rising star. But, the results have been absolutely fabulous. The whole city loves YNS, and now, the Met loves him, too.

We were deeply disappointed when we lost the one great rising star in Simon Rattle, who we still love whenever he returns as guest conductor, as he does almost annually. But, we appear to have captured the next great rising star, who might even eventually eclipse the great Sir Simon on the world stage.

The Philadelphia Orchestra, which has also been through much financial turmoil, is, I sense through all this, returning to the position of being considered one of the very top tier orchestras in the world, one of the very few. That was a reputation it enjoyed through much of the 20th Century under legendary names like Stokowski, Ormandy, Muti and Sawallisch. That reputation had been tarnished somewhat for quite a number of years. But, I think we are back. And, truthfully, it is and always was an outstandingly great orchestra with its own special sound. It is a great privilege and a great pleasure to be able to hear them live, as I do frequently.

Obviously, my greatest love is for the music and for the performers. Audio technology is of some considerable interest and use in that, but it is secondary to me.

EDIT: factual corrections were made, mainly to the time line.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Sir Simon is now moving on from Berlin to the London Philharmonic in the years ahead, another of the tippy-top positions for orchestra conductors, but one that needs some work and development.
Symphony, I think. Isn't Jurowski at the LPO?

Last edited:
OP
F

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Right, Kal. It is the LSO, not the LPO. My normal proofreader is on vacation.

Edit: I corrected that back in my earlier post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom