• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha's "Physics of Bi-amping"

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

F1308

Major Contributor
So Yamaha, I said Yamaha, the maker of Montage M8x, is worried about the different
signals going through a wire and recommends
a separation based at least on two different paths for high and low ?

What then about the many different frequencies
being placed afterwards by each path on a paper cone ?

Am I to have a woofer for each frequency ?

ddoppler

Forum Donor
And the manufacturers wired according to the market they sold into:

View attachment 323973
Thanks-the pin layout on this drawing/schematic…US/Canadian looks familiar. In my previous post, I was talking about the Rotel amplifier-I think I did see that, I’m gonna check again-I just overlooked.

Okay, sorry for the newbie question-what is the Cold pin mean? PIN 2 on US/Canadian…another ground?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Okay, sorry for the newbie question-what is the Cold pin mean? PIN 2 on US/Canadian…another ground?

Hot = + or positive.
Cold = - or inverting.
Ground = Ground (chassis)

The old US/Canada wiring merely switched the +/- around. The ground didn't change.

ddoppler

Forum Donor
Hot = + or positive.
Cold = - or inverting.

The old US/Canada wiring merely switched the +/- around. The ground didn't change.
Okay-I just missed it on this Rotel amplifier…Pin 1=Ground Pin 2=In Phase/Hot Pin 3=Out of Phase/Cold

It’s also a match on the back of my AVR…nice!

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Hot = + or positive.
Cold = - or inverting.
Make that:
Hot = '+' or positive.
Cold = '-' or inverting.
Shield = chassis

There is no ground in a balanced interconnect system.
However in some microphone systems, Shield is also phantom power supply common.
Yep, it's confusing, because a balanced interconnect system is symmetrical about 'ground', but there is no 'ground' in the circuit.
A great example of no 'ground' is a transformer coupled interconnect.

Last edited:

ddoppler

Forum Donor
Make that:
Hot = '+' or positive.
Cold = '-' or inverting.
Shield = chassis

Yep, it's confusing, because a balanced interconnect system is symmetrical about 'ground', but there is no 'ground' in the circuit.
Thanks for this info. Yup, it’s confusing, but-starting to come together a bit more…

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Make that:
Hot = '+' or positive.
Cold = '-' or inverting.
Shield = chassis

It's even more confusing, as a transformer-coupled input can be fully floating, with no connection to ground, or centre-tapped with the centre of the transformer going to ground. Furthermore, the centre tap is necessary for phantom power for an active capacitor microphone.

S

ddoppler

Forum Donor
It's even more confusing, as a transformer-coupled input can be fully floating, with no connection to ground, or centre-tapped with the centre of the transformer going to ground. Furthermore, the centre tap is necessary for phantom power for an active capacitor microphone.

S
Hmm…think I’ll go back to reading;

The Audio Expert: Everything You Need to Know About Audio, Ethan Winer.

I do feel like I’ve been getting some concrete answers on a few things…this coupled with some newbie reading helps clear the fog a bit .

ddoppler

Forum Donor
The Cannon XLR is a connector type. Whether or not the circuit is balanced depends upon other things than the connector. I have seen many examples of XLR connectors used essentially for the "pro look" that do not have differential, or even balanced, circuitry behind them. An XLR connector provides the ability to provide balanced or differential signals in a single connector. An RCA solution requires two connectors for a balanced/differential circuit (one for the in-phase "+" and another for the complementary "-" signal).

The signal level is similarly dictated by the circuitry inside and not the connector itself. The most common IME is +6 dB for the differential signal since two similar drivers each provide the same level but opposite polarity, doubling the effective voltage level. However, I've seen specs all over the map, especially for consumer units. Some designs use a balanced circuit that simply terminates one side for no gain, and some may use transformers or dividers that can reduce the gain (perhaps to provide lower distortion and higher headroom for the internal signal chain).

From Wikipedia:

History and manufacturers[edit]​

Male and female XLR connectors with different numbers of pins
The XLR connector (also Cannon plug and Cannon connector) was invented by James H. Cannon, founder of the Cannon Electric company, Los Angeles, California. The XLR connector originated from the Cannon X series of connectors; by 1950, a latching mechanism was added to the connector, which produced the Cannon XL model of connector, and by 1955, the female connector featured synthetic-rubber insulation polychloroprene (neoprene), identified with the part-number prefix XLR. There was also the XLP series of connectors with hard plastic insulation, but the XLR model name is commonly used for all of the variants.[2][3][4]

Originally, the ITT Cannon company manufactured XLR connectors in two locations: Kanagawa, Japan, and Melbourne, Australia. The Australian factory was sold to Alcatel Components in 1992 and then acquired by Amphenol in 1998. Later, the Switchcraft corporation manufactured compatible connectors, followed by the Neutrik company, which made improvements to the connector, and produced a second-generation design (the X-series) that had only four parts for the cable connector, and eliminated the small screws used in the models of XLR connectors made by Cannon and Switchcraft.
Man, if anyone hasn’t read this yet…about James H Cannon-Cannon Electric and just the Cannon family in general, it’s a very interesting read. The Cannons were a bad ass bunch…especially Martha Hughes Cannon-LOL.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Man, if anyone hasn’t read this yet…about James H Cannon-Cannon Electric and just the Cannon family in general, it’s a very interesting read. The Cannons were a bad ass bunch…especially Martha Hughes Cannon-LOL.
67492.gif

not as bad as my Sooty

Sooty makes b wiring seem like cat food
10359084_10152500113110149_6673800463507018251_o.jpg

D

Deleted member 48726

It's funny, this bi-amping bi-wiring thing. I mean where does it end up-stream? Should you have separation of everything up until the DA conversion?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny, this bi-amping bi-wiring thing. I mean where does it end up-stream? Should you have separation of everything up until the DA conversion?
Two different power plants maybe. ;)

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom