• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha WXA-50 with Amazon Music Query - If Anyone Has One

Witterings

Quite interested in buying one of these but just had a query about it's integration with Amazon Music and quality it plays at etc.

Can you cast to this from the Amazon Music App on a phone / tablet and if so any idea if it's both iOS and Android and if so what quality is it played at?
If not I'm guessing you'd have to go into the Music Cast App and stream it from there?

The same question for Amazon Music if I wanted to do multiroom and had a WCA-50 in another room.

Another general query althought more looking for a confirmation, the specs say you can program the remote with presets so "The Boss" can just pick up the remote and press one button and it'll switch it on to a preset radio station ... I#m sure it probably can but if anyone can confirm it'd be appreciated.

Gzunda

Yes, you can cast to the WXA-50 from your phone or tablet via the Amazon Music app. If you're on an Apple device, this will be via Airplay. Other devices will be via Bluetooth.

Quality is based upon the 1) source content and 2) bandwidth [i.e. bt is low bandwidth whereas Airplay is @ wifi speed]. Airplay supports lossless compression, BT is compressed, etc., etc., the differences are many that will impact overall quality. For background music, not an issue. For critical listening, optimize the source content and the bandwidth.

You use the MusicCast app to select the input source such as BT, Airplay, or streaming services like Spotify and Tidal [note: Amazon Music is not supported as a service within MusicCast, hence you cast to the unit via Airplay or BT].

As for multi-room capability, sort of maybe yes...this depends on the Amazon Music service you subscribe to [Prime vs Music Unlimited]. You cannot stream multiple Amazon Music from a single device to multiple MusiCast devices using Airplay or BT. But if you have device #1 using Amazon account #1, and device #2 using Amazon account #1 w/Music Unlimited, yes, you could then have different sources casting to different MusicCast devices in different rooms.

Gzunda

Yes if you use a Lightning (or USB C) DAC between the mobile device and the WXA/C analog input. This could be as simple as the cheap Apple Lightning headphone adapter to a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable into the Yamaha's analog input. Casting music via Airplay over WiFi to *any* receiver is limited to 44.1/16. That's a condition of the AirPlay protocol wrt audio.

chelgrian

Quite interested in buying one of these but just had a query about it's integration with Amazon Music and quality it plays at etc.

Can you cast to this from the Amazon Music App on a phone / tablet and if so any idea if it's both iOS and Android and if so what quality is it played at?
If not I'm guessing you'd have to go into the Music Cast App and stream it from there?

The same question for Amazon Music if I wanted to do multiroom and had a WCA-50 in another room.

Another general query althought more looking for a confirmation, the specs say you can program the remote with presets so "The Boss" can just pick up the remote and press one button and it'll switch it on to a preset radio station ... I#m sure it probably can but if anyone can confirm it'd be appreciated.
If you want direct integration with Amazon music then

Which is marketed at the fixed install market.

For some reason Yamaha never updated the WXA-50 and WXC-50 firmware to directly do Amazon music.

Even then it won't do HD, however apparently the Denon HEOS system will and so will the Bluesound system.

Top Bottom