• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha WXA-50 or Elac DBR62?

Yamaha WXA-50 or Elac DBR62?

• Total voters

fafnir

Hi. I want to upgrade my living room stereo system and can't decide between choosing a nice amp or a nice speaker. I'm currently using a vintage Sony STR-6036A (18W @ 8ohms/20W @ 4ohms) and a clean pair of Ohm Model L2 speakers (35-125W/ 4ohm). I have a turntable, cassette deck, and misc. aux for dac/phone/tv. I'd appreciate any suggestions and/or advice.

Thanks!

Addendum: I also own a JDS Atom & KTB that I use with my laptop for whatever that's worth

Last edited:

oldsysop

Sony STR-6036A :

Tuning range: FM, MW
Power output: 15 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 10Hz to 60kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.8%
Input sensitivity: 2mV (mic), 2.5mV (MM), 250mV (DIN), 250mV (line)
Signal to noise ratio: 60dB (mic), 60dB (MM), 80dB (DIN), 70dB (line)
Output: 250mV (line), 30mV (DIN)
Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω
Semiconductors: 2 x IC, 2 x FET, 27 x transistors, 19 x diodes
Dimensions: 434 x 145 x 348mm
Weight: 8.6kg
Year: 1973

I would not change it. I love vintage.

Midwest Blade

Based on the review of the Elac DBR62 they look like speakers you could enjoy for several years. The Yamaha WXA50 is a capable integrated amp but might not have enough connectivity for all of your sources. Given your either or position, I voted other as either one on it's own is only a stepping stone but might not help your current position. I put a high priority on speakers in any system as the most critical decision and where I would always spend at least half of the overall budget.

cjfrbw

DBR62 no question. Then watch for an RX-596 for $40 or so from thrift stores.. Add an LG V20 as a DAP, and/or an Echo Input when on sale for $10-$20.. You are 'all set'..
This.

Graylix

I hope you enjoy your new stereo. Are you selling your Ohms? I might be interested if you are.

OP
F

fafnir

I hope you enjoy your new stereo. Are you selling your Ohms? I might be interested if you are.

Thanks! I'm hanging onto the Ohms at the moment because of sentimental value, but I will definitely reach out if I end up moving on.

Top Bottom