• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha techs told me 3 diff. Answers to playing apple high res lossless music. Yamaha R-N2000A stereo network receiver. Must be a cost effective way!

mtnbikerva1

I spoke with 3 tech people at YAMAHA AND GOT 3 different answers!

1 said it was impossible to play any Apple Music. 1 said I had to buy a Apple TV 4K to play Apple high res Lossless/HRL. Another said I have to buy a Apple TV and a actual tv.

This seems very odd to me.

There must be a way.

Couldn't I buy a separate DAC and plug it into the ANALOG/RCA inputs?

with all those inputs there must be a way.

I am interested in sound quality over quantity, this is why I do not want surround sound.

I can get the Yamaha R-N2000A for $3k so 1k savings initially felt like a bargain.

Is there a far better and less expensive way to take full advantage of apple HRL music?

The YPAO room correction sounds interesting, but is it not good?

I will be listening with Sennheiser HD 589/599/600 headphones, I really like wired headphones. At least initially tower speakers the Defenitive Technology BP-8 speakers, that were kindly given to me along with their Powerfield 1500 sub. Not sure I want to listen to the sub.

I listen to non auto tuned and non gridded music, like country western, bluegrass, rock till the mostly mid late 90's, pipe organ, melodic jazz, new age, progressive, R&B,

a cappella, bag pipes, practically no rap.

Room is 15 X 13 and 8 foot ceilings.

I also have a iPhone XS MAX and an old 10.5 iPad Pro.

I have 130 GB of music downloaded.

I do not want to have to start from scratch again?
Thank you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can send local Hi-Res music losslessly from your iPhone/iPad to the Yamaha via Lightning or Type-C.
I'm not sure whether the Apple Music App for iPhone/iPad already supports output of Hi-Res via Lightning/Type-C though.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This device support Qobuz that have hi-res also, if is a matter of only changing the streaming service this could work for you.

If you want still listen to aplle music then I guess an apple TV connected to spdif/coax input, or some 2nd hand ipad connetd to usb input, or even some old apple airport express. Another solution, is to use a Sonos connect, very cheap as 2nd hand, then you will get CD quality to the AMP by the coax input.

So there are several cheap was to use apple music, and the wiim mini supports Aiplay2 too, this is even cheaper

dman777

I spoke with 3 tech people at YAMAHA AND GOT 3 different answers!

1 said it was impossible to play any Apple Music. 1 said I had to buy a Apple TV 4K to play Apple high res Lossless/HRL. Another said I have to buy a Apple TV and a actual tv.

This seems very odd to me.

There must be a way.

Couldn't I buy a separate DAC and plug it into the ANALOG/RCA inputs?

with all those inputs there must be a way.

I am interested in sound quality over quantity, this is why I do not want surround sound.

I can get the Yamaha R-N2000A for $3k so 1k savings initially felt like a bargain.

Is there a far better and less expensive way to take full advantage of apple HRL music?

The YPAO room correction sounds interesting, but is it not good?

I will be listening with Sennheiser HD 589/599/600 headphones, I really like wired headphones. At least initially tower speakers the Defenitive Technology BP-8 speakers, that were kindly given to me along with their Powerfield 1500 sub. Not sure I want to listen to the sub.

I listen to non auto tuned and non gridded music, like country western, bluegrass, rock till the mostly mid late 90's, pipe organ, melodic jazz, new age, progressive, R&B,

a cappella, bag pipes, practically no rap.

Room is 15 X 13 and 8 foot ceilings.

I also have a iPhone XS MAX and an old 10.5 iPad Pro.

I have 130 GB of music downloaded.

I do not want to have to start from scratch again?
Thank you.
I have the Yamaha r n 2000a. I love it. It's really made me happy. I listen to it with CD player, Bluetooth, Pandora, in Amazon music. It's music quality amazes me.

Willied

Mac or Windows? Computer or phone? On Windows, I can copy the iTunes library wherever I want. In the case of the R-N2000a, I got a 2-drive NAS and copied all of my music to it. A one-drive will work too, since your tunes are already backed up. The Yamaha can find the library if you set up DNLA on the NAS. Otherwise, you can set up DNLA on your computer and leave it on, but that is less elegant. The real trouble with the Yamaha is no gapless playback or song scrubbling. I actually added a Node X for that since I got similar saving on the Yamaha. The WiiM Pro is a cheaper alternative that can do likewise. It can find your DNLA store as well.

Top Bottom