• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RXA-1060 Pre-amp Voltage Question(s)

gadgetgeek

Hi folks.

I recently tried replacing my Arcam A38 preamp and Arcam D33 DAC with a Yamaha RXA-1060 as a preamp for music and home theatre duties. The plan was to use my 3 Arcam P1 Monoblock Amps and connect them to drive the front 3 Channels of the Yamaha. I have been using an Arcam A38 as the preamp for music and use its BYPASS mode for passing home theatre duties to the Yamaha. The plan was to retire the Arcam A38 and Arcam D33 DAC to a different setup. Hence, your input would be appreciated....

I believe I'm experiencing a symptom of Yamaha not having enough voltage gain to drive my Arcam P1 Monoblock Amps. I recall reading on Audioholics that if you are using external amplification, look for powers that have high voltage gain of 29 dB or higher.

The Arcam P1 allows for the selection of two gain settings these are 28.3 for “THX” and 37.5 for the Arcam "house" setting. Neither setting really seems to allow the Yamaha to work well in this setup. I need to turn up the master volume on the Yamaha a good ways to get any volume. You can note in the iOS app screen grab, that there is a red warning when I turn it up.

The specs on the Arcam P1 amp is as follows:
Frequency response. 8-ohm load
Input set to 1v rms

20Hz – 20kHz = +/- 0.5 dB.

Distortion. THD+N 0dBR 4-ohm load.
Input set to 1v rms.
20Hz – 20Khz = <0.02%

Power amplifier input Nominal sensitivity: 906mV (Arcam gain)
Input impedance: 22kΩ

Gain: 31.5dB (Arcam gain)

Is it safe to assume the Yamaha will not mate correctly with the Arcam P1's?
Any assistance you could provide, would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpeg
    IMG_1882.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does the Yamaha come with a setting for the line-outputs, giving you the option of fix or variable volume control.

Otherwise it seems you will need to max out the volume controls on the Yamaha, to feed a strong signal to the Monoblocks.

OP
G

gadgetgeek

Thanks for the response. There are level adjustments (input trim) for each input. Also levels for each channel in the speaker setup. However, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I appreciate your suggestion(s) all the same.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Hi folks.

I recently tried replacing my Arcam A38 preamp and Arcam D33 DAC with a Yamaha RXA-1060 as a preamp for music and home theatre duties. The plan was to use my 3 Arcam P1 Monoblock Amps and connect them to drive the front 3 Channels of the Yamaha. I have been using an Arcam A38 as the preamp for music and use its BYPASS mode for passing home theatre duties to the Yamaha. The plan was to retire the Arcam A38 and Arcam D33 DAC to a different setup. Hence, your input would be appreciated....

I believe I'm experiencing a symptom of Yamaha not having enough voltage gain to drive my Arcam P1 Monoblock Amps. I recall reading on Audioholics that if you are using external amplification, look for powers that have high voltage gain of 29 dB or higher.

The Arcam P1 allows for the selection of two gain settings these are 28.3 for “THX” and 37.5 for the Arcam "house" setting. Neither setting really seems to allow the Yamaha to work well in this setup. I need to turn up the master volume on the Yamaha a good ways to get any volume. You can note in the iOS app screen grab, that there is a red warning when I turn it up.

The specs on the Arcam P1 amp is as follows:
Frequency response. 8-ohm load
Input set to 1v rms

20Hz – 20kHz = +/- 0.5 dB.

Distortion. THD+N 0dBR 4-ohm load.
Input set to 1v rms.
20Hz – 20Khz = <0.02%

Is it safe to assume the Yamaha will not mate correctly with the Arcam P1's?
Any assistance you could provide, would be greatly appreciated!
Audioholics measured the 860 and it had trouble with the output voltage and others had commented the 1060 did as well. Gain settings above 29dbs would be needed to reach full output before clipping.
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a860/measurements

OP
G

gadgetgeek

Thanks for the link. It mentions the following:

According to the manual:
RX-A860 pre out:1V/1.2kohm, Max 1.6V
RX-A1060 Pre out: 1V/470 ohm, Max. 2.0V or more

If I am reading this correctly, wouldn't the Arcam setting of the following be suitable for the Yamaha?

Everett T

Forum Donor
Thanks for the link. It mentions the following:

According to the manual:
RX-A860 pre out:1V/1.2kohm, Max 1.6V
RX-A1060 Pre out: 1V/470 ohm, Max. 2.0V or more

If I am reading this correctly, wouldn't the Arcam setting of the following be suitable for the Yamaha?

In theory yes, are you able to measure to confirm it's not clipping? 31.5db should be more then enough to drive them before getting near Yamaha's clipping.

OP
G

gadgetgeek

In theory yes, are you able to measure to confirm it's not clipping? 31.5db should be more then enough to drive them before getting near Yamaha's clipping.

What would be required to test for clipping? If you could refer me to an URL, I wouldn't mind investigating. Appreciate your help again.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Top Bottom