• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-V6A 7.2 channel 4K / 8K Dolby AV Receiver Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm is that YPAO review still on the list to do? :D Have to keep reminding you boss! I would use the RX-A1080 if you still have it, cause it has 64-bit version so better than what this RX-V6A has.
Yeh, I should test it one day but when... I don't know right now.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

StinkyPete

Hello

I have been waiting for this review, thanks amir.
BUT I would very much like a recommendation for a better product in this price range with HDMI 2.1.
I need hdmi 2.1 because of xbox series x.
Thanks

Urgo

Forum Donor
Hello

BUT I would very much like a recommendation for a better product in this price range with HDMI 2.1.
Thanks

I recommend that you read this ASR thread, right now and specifically for the XBox, the 4k / 100hz mode does not work in any receiver that has been released (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha), waiting for a solution.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../bug-hdmi-2-1-chip-panasonic-solutions.16979/

Wombats

Hello
Thanks

Considering this is only the first wave of HDMI 2.1 AVRs, this Yamaha is the only thing in its price range that can do HDMI 2.1 (assuming the bug gets fixed). Your closest competitor right now is the Denon AVR-X2700H, which suffers from the same bug.

I would say you have two options:
  • Amir has not yet reviewed the Denon AVR-X2700H specifically, but he had a favorable review of the Denon AVR-X3700H. If you can afford the X2700H, it might be similar enough to also warrant a recommendation? No promises. Pray that the bug gets fixed. Also no promises there.
  • If you already have an AVR, keep using that until something decent comes out next year and the bugs are fixed. Plug the XBox directly into the TV, and then send the audio out of the TV to your current AVR using ARC or Toslink or something.
I suggest the second option. Sadly, for me, I'm going with the Costco deal on the RX-V6A (TSR-700). My 4k projector doesn't have ARC and my old AVR is limited to 1080p. I've been hobbling along using my HTPC to split the video and audio into two directions but it's a pain. Time for me to get a real AVR, and I hate paying for AVRs. I'm personally thrilled that this cheap POS got as good of a rating as it did! My speakers are nothing to brag about, so the RX-V6A will be fine.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

StinkyPete

Thanks for your reply. I have read the entire tread btw. I have also considered the Denon X2700H.
I think I am getting the Yamaha RX-V685 its 500USD black friday deal and sell it when a decent avr with hdmi 2.1 comes out. I know the Denon X3700 is good but with the bug with hdmi 4k120 is resolved I will not spend 1200$. The new yamaha is 780$ where I live.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Well, the issue of "how much SINAD do you really need?" is always a popular debate topic. :)

With a noise floor of 30-40dB even in a very quiet room, the "flaws" of a 75dB SINAD amp vs. a 95dB SINAD amp would generally be totally masked by that noise floor anyway.

On the other side of the argument,

1. SINAD is cumulative for the whole signal chain. So if your target is ___dB of SINAD then everything in the chain actually needs to be above that.
2. It's true that the noise floor in your room generally does not consist of high frequency sounds. So perhaps flaws there would not be as easily masked by the noise floor. But that would generally be outside the realm of fundamental voice/musical frequencies anyway, so IMO not terribly impactful.

Just trying to give both sides of the never-ending debate.

I tried an experiment, few years back, so forget the EXACT details of how I did it.

But in essence played some music at a particularly loud volume, I mean as loud as I could stand for 10-15 seconds in my small computer room.

After that I lowered the digital volume by "Tens" of decibels. and it was amazing how quickly the sound got lower and lower.

By the time I hit about -65-75 db in relation to the upper level I had just used, the sound was barely even there.

By 75-85 I had to struggle really hard to even hear anything......and this was a quiet room.

Just put things in perspective to me. Even at very high levels, sound that is down 65-70 db from that upper level, is quite low......

bdc604

Wow, this AVR looks like junk. Sadder yet, I will probably still buy it. Seems pointless to buy high end right now, advanced features that can’t be fixed with updates are flawed, even though listed as major selling points. New features are added annually, leaving last years models obsolete. Forget computers, AVR is the new disposable tech. Knowing that, I’m currently hunting for the best of the worst in the lower mid range. Tech bloggers and vloggers are the worst, they glorify every make and model as if on the company payroll. Reviews are equally useless. Glad I stumbled across this site. Technical data instead of some random opinion, go figure...

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Wow, this AVR looks like junk. Sadder yet, I will probably still buy it. Seems pointless to buy high end right now, advanced features that can’t be fixed with updates are flawed, even though listed as major selling points. New features are added annually, leaving last years models obsolete. Forget computers, AVR is the new disposable tech. Knowing that, I’m currently hunting for the best of the worst in the lower mid range. Tech bloggers and vloggers are the worst, they glorify every make and model as if on the company payroll. Reviews are equally useless. Glad I stumbled across this site. Technical data instead of some random opinion, go figure...
Yes, for people with budgets the economical solutions are to either focus on an AVR system as its own problem to solve, or downmix to stereo and deal with the signal that way. If you want everything at once it gets expensive, either finding an AVR with good enough total performance, or going the multichannel preamp / power amp route. Or you can buy a mid-range model and accept average performance while gaining the calibration and surround features.

The Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504 ($1K) seemed to do pretty well in retrospect -- wonder how the VSX-LX104 in the RX-V6A's price range would compare.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With all the HDMI bugs it is urgent to wait for the end of 2021 (next generation).

Aerith Gainsborough

At least in the case of the AVR, I'm quite certain that in real life usage with decent speakers, it may not shine brightly but it would be very adequate. I've seen people who bought similar older RV-x/TSR models to this ones who are not total noobs and appear quite happy. As long as your speakers are not garbage, you'll get decent sound.

Agreed. I use the RX-V377, which is their smallest model. Sonically, I can find no faults here except that it gets noisy when you go beyond -20dB on the display. That can easily be circumvented by boosting the signal at the source.

Just avoid the headphone out with low impedance cans. :S

bravomail

thx for review, Amir. Our only hope with AVRs remain Sony. Or, a PC with software downscale to stereo or 2.1 - then good powered speakers+sub.

3dbinCanada

I was told by a Pioneer rep that ALL AVRs worldwide under $2000 are made at one factory in China. Only flagships are built in Japan, or wherever.
Not true. Yamaha owns all of its manufacturing.

3dbinCanada

Poor performance and will most probably suffer a catastrophic failure within 5 to 10 years with zero chance of repair.
Expected better from Yamaha.
I disagree with your assessment based on my experience with Yamaha which mirrors the fact that Yamaha has the lowest failure rate and return rate of ALL AVR manufacturers. Im disappointed with Measured performance of the DAC but your speculative conjecture is based on emotion, not fact.

martin900

Well, I beg to differ on any modern electronics - they are throwaway items nowadays. A friend of mine is already recapping my ICEpower 1200.
After 2.5 YEARS the caps started to bulge...and not some cheap junk but 10.000hr rated United Chemi-Con KYB series. He also had a NAD M on the bench, gave it back to the customer as it was impossible to troubleshoot and ran so hot the solder joints were already crusty.
I did a few Denons from the AE series as well, all with cold solder joints, I mean come on...PMA1500AE, 2000AE, lead free junk.

valerianf

Well the RX-V6A has a very cheap selling price at Cosco.
My guess is that manufacturing needs to be cheap too: plastic front face, very few button, tiny display, cheap DAC...
Let us wait for the Aventage serie RX-A6 and RX-A8 with a completely different price point.

3dbinCanada

Well, I beg to differ on any modern electronics - they are throwaway items nowadays. A friend of mine is already recapping my ICEpower 1200.
After 2.5 YEARS the caps started to bulge...and not some cheap junk but 10.000hr rated United Chemi-Con KYB series. He also had a NAD M on the bench, gave it back to the customer as it was impossible to troubleshoot and ran so hot the solder joints were already crusty.
I did a few Denons from the AE series as well, all with cold solder joints, I mean come on...PMA1500AE, 2000AE, lead free junk.

NAD???? That company has the worst QA and build quality has had isdues for the last 15 years. Not a good example. My Yamahas have been trouble free so beg away!!!

Spinitch

Yamaha DSP-AX1300 still works fine From 2002. So older Yamahas last. Pure direct stereo sounds ok with a Meridian CDP into M105s. AVR DAC is ancient but need to use for the DSP modes which do help for Video content. I would like to upgrade but new AVRs skimp on stereo sound while offering many other features, would like wireless, streaming, room correct etc. Mini DSP SHD plus a purifi would cost more including import effort. Denon Skips the X3 level only lower X2 or jump to X4, so search continues.

3dbinCanada

Yamaha DSP-AX1300 still works fine From 2002. So older Yamahas last. Pure direct stereo sounds ok with a Meridian CDP into M105s. AVR DAC is ancient but need to use for the DSP modes which do help for Video content. I would like to upgrade but new AVRs skimp on stereo sound while offering many other features, would like wireless, streaming, room correct etc. Mini DSP SHD plus a purifi would cost more including import effort. Denon Skips the X3 level only lower X2 or jump to X4, so search continues.

How is Yamaha skimping on the stereo sound? The amps and power supply did really good unlike its DAC implementation.

Top Bottom