• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A3080 Review (AVR)

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 42 21.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 43441

This thread has inspired me to get my Yamaha tuner out, and yes I still have an outdoor antenna on a rotor for FM LOL. It’s fun not to stream once in awhile.

How is the YPAO room correction compared to Audyssey?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I changed my vote to fine happy panther. I’m basing that off of the fact that I don’t think it’s easy to do everything correctly, especially at this price point. Add to that at what point is good enough… good enough?!

I have a nice Yamy analog tuner, pre-digital days, probably from the late 70s when they started to break away from the traditional look of the other manufacturers. This being said I remember going to though audio store where the Yamaha was featured, natural sound was the term back then, I don’t know if they still use it. Anyway I think within the next couple of years I’m going to finally give up my Marantz, and go with the Yamaha. I like separates, so as long as they make an AVR I’m on board. Yesterday was an eventful day, and I found out a lot of things about my own set up, and about the music we listen to. As great as all of the specifications are, and I want all of my gear to measure well, we’ve reached a point where just like this Yamaha, we can’t hear much of the differences. I found out yesterday that I can I tell the difference between the DAC in my Topping D90 in the outdated nearly 10-year-old DACs in my AVR. As for me I’m done chasing my tail, and it’s time to button up my music room and enjoy the music.

Now, if they would start engineering, producing, and distributing music that can keep up with my gear… I’d be grateful.
"I found out yesterday that I can I tell the difference between the DAC in my Topping D90 in the outdated nearly 10-year-old DACs in my AVR."

I think you meant 'can't' hear the difference, no?

D

Deleted member 43441

"I found out yesterday that I can I tell the difference between the DAC in my Topping D90 in the outdated nearly 10-year-old DACs in my AVR."

I think you meant 'can't' hear the difference, no?

Yes I will correct that thank you.

Edit;
Fixed thanks again for telling me I appreciate it.

iraweiss

Glad you got it resolved, Ira. What Ground Loop Isolator did you utilize? I may be using a 2220 monoblock for my RX-A3080 center channel in the near future.
I got it on Amazon: Ground Loop Isolator - Cable TV Audio Isolation Transformer,Hum Buzz TV/Noise Eliminator and it cost $16.99. Ships from Amazon Sold by kubofushi

61xjrysL53L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I changed my vote to fine happy panther. I’m basing that off of the fact that I don’t think it’s easy to do everything correctly, especially at this price point. Add to that at what point is good enough… good enough?!

I have a nice Yamy analog tuner, pre-digital days, probably from the late 70s when they started to break away from the traditional look of the other manufacturers. This being said I remember going to though audio store where the Yamaha was featured, natural sound was the term back then, I don’t know if they still use it. Anyway I think within the next couple of years I’m going to finally give up my Marantz, and go with the Yamaha. I like separates, so as long as they make an AVR I’m on board. Yesterday was an eventful day, and I found out a lot of things about my own set up, and about the music we listen to. As great as all of the specifications are, and I want all of my gear to measure well, we’ve reached a point where just like this Yamaha, we can’t hear much of the differences. I found out yesterday that I cannot tell the difference between the DAC in my Topping D90 in the outdated nearly 10-year-old DACs in my AVR. As for me I’m done chasing my tail, and it’s time to button up my music room and enjoy the music.

Now, if they would start engineering, producing, and distributing music that can keep up with my gear… I’d be grateful.

I have done listening comparisons many times between my DACs and amps including the AV8801 vs external DAC via analog input in direct mode. It is difficult to tell a difference for sure, though I still prefer listening with the external DACs such as the Oppo HA-1 or even my cheap Chord Mojo and Xduoo-XD05. The main difference would be when comparing audible noise with volume around > -10 with ear almost touching the mid/tweeter cone, or near -5 from a few feet away. The AV8801 with any of my power amps would make an audible hum/hiss whereas my external DAC/headphone amps would be silent. My real separate preamp, the Cambridge Audio (via XLR), or my Denon AVR-X4400H (via RCA) will make audible hum/hiss too under the same set up with the same amps but are still much quieter than the AV8801, I would guess easily 6 to 10 dB quieter if not more.

For real world music listening the AV8801 would be just as good as my room's noise floor is at least 20 dB in the audible range so the hum/hiss are not detectable from 10-12 feet and I never have the volume higher than -10 anyway. SINAD of 80 (I guess that's what the AV8801 would do on ASR's bench but that's just my educated guess), or 97 (that the Denon's would do) is really meaningless for my use but I do feel good knowing that my AVR is so much quieter than the Marantz, though I do miss the XLR I/Os.

D

Deleted member 43441

I have done listening comparisons many times between my DACs and amps including the AV8801 vs external DAC via analog input in direct mode. It is difficult to tell a difference for sure, though I still prefer listening with the external DACs such as the Oppo HA-1 or even my cheap Chord Mojo and Xduoo-XD05. The main difference would be when comparing audible noise with volume around > -10 with ear almost touching the mid/tweeter cone, or near -5 from a few feet away. The AV8801 with any of my power amps would make an audible hum/hiss whereas my external DAC/headphone amps would be silent. My real separate preamp, the Cambridge Audio (via XLR), or my Denon AVR-X4400H (via RCA) will make audible hum/hiss too under the same set up with the same amps but are still much quieter than the AV8801, I would guess easily 6 to 10 dB quieter if not more.

For real world music listening the AV8801 would be just as good as my room's noise floor is at least 20 dB in the audible range so the hum/hiss are not detectable from 10-12 feet and I never have the volume higher than -10 anyway. SINAD of 80 (I guess that's what the AV8801 would do on ASR's bench but that's just my educated guess), or 97 (that the Denon's would do) is really meaningless for my use but I do feel good knowing that my AVR is so much quieter than the Marantz, though I do miss the XLR I/Os.

I Appreciate your post, and I love learning so thank you. Here’s my experience right now;

I’m running the 8801 into a set of new Pascal based 800 WPC monoblocks, then into a great pair of Wilson Audio speakers, and cranked up I can hear a flea fart at 100 yards, Of course that’s just a joke, but there’s no audible hiss. In fact even from my turntable going to a phono preamp there’s no hiss.

Also on Amir‘s transparently reviewing XLR switcher, I’ve got the Marantz AV8801 running into a set of classe audio 700 WPC channel monoblocks. Absolutely no hiss. Those monoblocks are nearly 30 years old, and can you imagine after 29 years, the only things that were out of spec were 2 capacitors in the standby unit? They ought to make gear that good now.

Unless there’s something wrong with that 8801, or something else in the audio chain you shouldn’t have any hiss.

I’m about talked out on the subject, but I really do appreciate your input have a great day.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I Appreciate your post, and I love learning so thank you. Here’s my experience right now;

I’m running the 8801 into a set of new Pascal based 800 WPC monoblocks, then into a great pair of Wilson Audio speakers, and cranked up I can hear a flea fart at 100 yards, Of course that’s just a joke, but there’s no audible hiss. In fact even from my turntable going to a phono preamp there’s no hiss.

Also on Amir‘s transparently reviewing XLR switcher, I’ve got the Marantz AV8801 running into a set of classe audio 700 WPC channel monoblocks. Absolutely no hiss. Those monoblocks are nearly 30 years old, and can you imagine after 29 years, the only things that were out of spec were 2 capacitors in the standby unit? They ought to make gear that good now.

Unless there’s something wrong with that 8801, or something else in the audio chain you shouldn’t have any hiss.

I’m about talked out on the subject, but I really do appreciate your input have a great day.

Wow, you have very impressive power amps, and the equally if not more so Wilson Audios speakers, what models if you don't mind..:) May be I am sensitive to hum and hiss, hum for sure because I can hear transformer hums when other claimed they could not. From what I can tell, I am confident that there is nothing wrong with mine that would cause such audible noise only when I put my ears close to the drivers especially when lab measurements and the specs do indicate that what I experienced would have been predictable. It really is not a noisy AVP, just noisier than my other preamps/AVRs and again only when under the condition I described, that is irrelevant in practical sense.

When the first Marantz AV7705 and the AV8805 were measured by Amir, I bet some of their owners would also naturally think it may be just a bad sample, or even "defective", yet the second samples behave the same. As Amir pointed out many times, those less than perfect SINAD don't result in audible distortions and/or noise for real world use, but they won't be "silent" under all conditions.

I am just sharing my experience as I also had the 8801 since 2016 and you mentioned Marantz actually posted "specs" that got my attention in the first place. You have a great day too.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I will correct that thank you.

Edit;
Fixed thanks again for telling me I appreciate it.
I can't much, if any difference between my 3 Topping DACs but haven't a method to perform a true blind test between them. They all sound crystal clear and uncolored.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
@amirm - While you typically show Benchmark results with amp performance, in the case of measuring AVR's it would be helpful to add a another AVR for comparison in the results. Since the Yamaha 3080 and the Denon 4700 are the same retail price they would have been a good match. No AVR ever approaches Benchmark so while it's a nice reference it's not as helpful as a Denon 4700 comparison would have been.

There are many who prefer the sound of the Yamaha 3080 over the Denon 4700. I believe that is mostly related to a dislike of the default Audyssey EQ sound. It would be interesting to add a listening test to the Yamaha 3080 review.
I agree. I bought a Denon but struggle with the audessy. The eq has to be tweaked to death.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I've seen many good reviews of the ONKYO TX-RZ50, where one reviwer even said that it is better than the DENON AVR-X3700H, but I would like to see the measurements before purchasing it, which unfortunately is also sold out everywhere...
It seems as if the RZ is the Denon killer. I bought the slightly cheaper Pioneer 305 but the tone was poor the dsps were poor, the crossovers were global. Dirac excellent but not enough to keep it. My Sony was better so I bought a Denon 4400 while I am waiting for the RZ to be the real Mccoy.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I don't know what to make of this really, I know measurements are important, But I just don't understand people writing off a product based of measurements alone, they are not enough to tell you whether ultimately you'll enjoy the sound or not, how big the soundstage is, the imaging, the timbre/tonality etc.

Based off these measurements people say "Denon is the only option", but to assume that without an audition? how can these measurements alone tell you if you'll enjoy the sound? I say this as I personally auditioned Denon and Yamaha av-receivers recently and I preferred the Yamaha every time, and this was with the knowledge of Amir's impressive measurements of the Denon lingering in my mind, the Denon is 'technically' better, but I much preferred how the Yamaha sounded, to my ears Denon sounded quite flat in comparison and lost pace in surround sound duties, and had considerably less depth in the soundstage, with the Yamaha I felt the sound was coming from beyond the TV.

I guess much as advertising has it's psychoacoustics effects I imagine impressive measurements could play a big part in the persons perception of sound also, I mean it has to sound good based off the stellar measurements right? We used to think it was essential to audition equipment before purchasing it, but now there are a subset of people out there that have already decided based off the measurements alone that it sounds amazing.

Don't take me wrong, I do find Amir's measurements interesting, and I think they are important in terms of keeping manufactures on their toes, I guess my issue is I'm not sure if they should be used 'alone' to decide whether a product is any good, especially when the soul purpose of these products is listening to them.
I bought a Denon becaue the feature set was good but I think Audessy is mediocre and Denon's musical sound is just weak. I prefer Sony honestly but the avrs lacked the features and the ES units were to basic. I tried the Pioneer vsx-lx305 wirh the Dirac and wish to heaven that sounded good. I thought it was crappy. I am no expert but the Pioneer stereo, Dolby mixing, and almost every sound field was lousy. It also did not allow for individual crossover settings for speakers. I thought it was a 500 amp matched with Dirac they charged 1300 for. Just my honest opinion.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
This unit was a refurb. What are the chances that there is a rectifier diode on the way out generating this noise? I know Amir can only test what he's given but I can help but think that this noise may not be representative of a healthy AVR. Conclusions are being reached about a unit that may or may not be healthy. Its difficult to tell.

I have a RX-A3060, RX-V1075, RX-V1900, RX-V1800 (given to my son in law) and an RX-V1500 that is squirelled away in storage. All of them except for the RX-V1800 was purchased used and all are functioning as if they were new, problem free. Measurements alone do not indicate a products QC, or operational longevity without failure which Yamaha still leads in the AVR industry.
Yamaha does not lead the avr industry by sale
Please provide a citation to source of this claimed information so we may all read. Thank you.
Yes. I had a difficult time with this one.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I am in the same camp, waiting for measurements for one/any of the DIRAC enabled Pioneer/Onkyo/Integras. Well measuring AVR with DIRAC Live on all channels would be a good upgrade to my Denon X2500H. I thought someone said they are sending their unit to Amir, but I can't find that post anymore.
This would be awesome. I think many of us are waiting for this.

iraweiss

This would be awesome. I think many of us are waiting for this.
Be careful what you wish for.

Macsalad

Hi, i am a newbie here. Got a simple question. I bought A3080 (wish I have seen this review before I bought). Currently, using it with an external amp for LCR speakers And I enjoy the better sound with the external amp. I am now thinking about buying more external amp to power the rest of the speakers (I have a 7.1.4 setup). The menu seems to say it is doable although the power amp assign in the menu doesn’t seem to have this option. Is this something that can be done? Would you recommend? Or should I just sell the A3080 and get a real preamp processor? Thanks

JRiggs

Why do you wish you read this review before getting the 3080? And, what are you trying to improve by running additional amps to power surround and effect speakers. The Yammy amps are no slouches and will serve you well for the other speakers in your system.

iraweiss

Hi, i am a newbie here. Got a simple question. I bought A3080 (wish I have seen this review before I bought). Currently, using it with an external amp for LCR speakers And I enjoy the better sound with the external amp. I am now thinking about buying more external amp to power the rest of the speakers (I have a 7.1.4 setup). The menu seems to say it is doable although the power amp assign in the menu doesn’t seem to have this option. Is this something that can be done? Would you recommend? Or should I just sell the A3080 and get a real preamp processor? Thanks
Yes you can and it would work like the LCR speakers. If you are not getting any overload through the LCR than you should be good to go for the rest. You should have already set the Yamaha for 7.2.4 [ext.Front] (RX-A3080 only) see page 34. It's too bad that I can't find an eight channel power amp but you can make lots of combinations at Emotiva in their BasX series to get to eight channels.

As was said you have to consider whether you need the extra power for the surround and height channels. The LCR do the heavy lifting.

BTW I'm using three Outlaw 2220 monoblocks for the LCR with my system. The L and R channels use XLR and the center uses RCA.

If you can find a CX-A5200 as a pre-pro more power to you. Who knows when or if Yamaha will create a successor to it based on the RX-A8A.

JRiggs

Macsalad

Yes you can and it would work like the LCR speakers. If you are not getting any overload through the LCR than you should be good to go for the rest. You should have already set the Yamaha for 7.2.4 [ext.Front] (RX-A3080 only) see page 34. It's too bad that I can't find an eight channel power amp but you can make lots of combinations at Emotiva in their BasX series to get to eight channels.

As was said you have to consider whether you need the extra power for the surround and height channels. The LCR do the heavy lifting.

BTW I'm using three Outlaw 2220 monoblocks for the LCR with my system. The L and R channels use XLR and the center uses RCA.

If you can find a CX-A5200 as a pre-pro more power to you. Who knows when or if Yamaha will create a successor to it based on the RX-A8A.
Many thanks!

Top Bottom