• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A3080 Review (AVR)

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 42 21.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

anarchist

As usual, I started to measure the DAC portion by using the pre-amp output, only to be punched in the face by the AVR going into protection mode. As far as I can tell, there is no way to shut off the amps so not only do they disturb the analog outputs, but also don't let you crank it up to full volume beyond what the internal amps can handle.
This doesn't make much sense - pre-amp outputs are fixed level, have nothing to do with volume sent to internal amps.

iraweiss

You can set up the amp assign (Manual, p34) to 7.2.4 [ext.Front] (RX-A3080 only) that cuts out the front internal amps if they are not driving height speakers.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This doesn't make much sense - pre-amp outputs are fixed level, have nothing to do with volume sent to internal amps.
Not sure what you meant by preamp output are "fixed level". Preamp outputs level obviously will vary with with the volume setting.

anarchist

Not sure what you meant by preamp output are "fixed level". Preamp outputs level obviously will vary with with the volume setting.
In 3080 zone pre outs can be set to fixed level, I assume this how they were tested? Otherwise testing them doesn't make much sense, unless the tester was trying to figure the protection limits for the receiver.

anarchist

My A3080 seems sounding too bright, it's fine with my old Jamos, but any other speakers I tried highs are piercing bright. Is this specific to Yamaha DAC (ESS Sabre), would Denons sound any warmer?

anarchist

This is a review and measurements of the Yamaha RX-A3080 Audio/Video Receiver. It was kindly purchased by a member as a refurbished unit and sent to me.

Distortion is actually better than this but we have a tall power supply (rectifier) induced spike at 120 Hz which is limiting SINAD. Signal to noise ratio is good actually:

The bell of the ball in an AVR is amount of power it has so let's start with our usual 4 ohm load:
View attachment 175870

As you see, the curve is horizontal. It should usually slope down meaning as power increases, the ratio of output signal to residual noise improves. Here, the noise is scaling up which I am assuming is the aforementioned power supply noise at 120 Hz. So what starts at average to better than average performance, ends with almost tie with the worst measured.

I can't recommend the Yamaha RX-A3080 as a whole or its for amplification.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Sorry, but Yamaha's THD basically stays same low throughout the test, and much lower than NAD (which is normally the benchmark), yet you say "cannot recommend"??

anarchist

And let's remember the totally broken architecture here where internal amps are allowed to suck power, clip and shut down the unit when you are trying to use an external amplifier. It is measurement and kind of testing I do that brings such deficiencies up.
I assume you tested pre-amp out with nothing connected to speaker terminals, correct? In this case internal amps cannot "suck power", since there's no load. You likely exceeded input voltage in your testng well beyond any standards, hence you got protection kicked in.
THX standard is 1V input BTW, but I guess it's too conservative for this forum? See if you can ask THX folks to "improve" it, but I doubt they would listen.
And my second point - there's no "broken architecture" really, this receiver can be configured with main speakers powered by external amp only, in this case those internal amps are shutoff completely.

Last edited:

omad

Hi fellow 3080 friends.

I have had some suspicions about my 3080 for some time, but have gotten to the point of narrowing things down a bit more and seems my unit is defective, however I am wondering if this is a 'just my unit' or possibly something a bit more widespread.

Basically the fault seems to be between any digital input and the analog pre-out (internal and external). If I play a track from HDMI, Optical or internal streaming from local or internet - I get clipping. The only thing that seems to resolve this is by dropping the digital input to at least 95% volume.

The track I have been testing with is Thrupence - Forth of the Forth.

If any fellow owners are able to test this, and share results, it would be greatly appreciated.

On my setup with a good stereo image, it's very obvious and at a few points in the track but it's quite bad @ about 1.39

Now, onto the disclaimers. My setup is currently A3080 -> Denon POA-T10 -> Main speakers
I have tried the same track from Tidal and DLNA through the receiver's internals, HDMI and Optical from a HTPC in WASAPI mode - All same results. UNLESS the HTPC is set to 95% volume, which MPC-BE seems to be the only app that has any volume control from the app in WASAPI.

I did have, and look into, this same issue with London Grammar - Hey Now. In that case, opening the file in Audacity, it very clearly has clipping points in the source and can see the waves square off at a few peaks in the track. This track has issues in all the areas that the Thrupence track is fine. I also opened the Thrupence track and it's clean as a whistle, nice flowing lines.

I have just got an Audio-gd NFB-2 recently to have a play with a dedicated DAC (aware it doesn't rate well here) and this issue isn't present using this straight to the T10. I have my old v685 on my PC setup as well, which also doesn't have this issue with the same track from any of it's inputs.

Going to take steps to see what my options are in terms of repair etc. but would welcome any input and especially any feedback from any other 3080 owners.

iraweiss

I was having clipping with my 3080 as well as occasionally and frightening loud pops. I had it serviced on Yamaha's dime and it's been fine ever since.

Urib

With mine, I have no signal on one sub out, occasionally my musicast app doesn't connect to the receiver.

omad

As you see, the curve is horizontal. It should usually slope down meaning as power increases, the ratio of output signal to residual noise improves. Here, the noise is scaling up which I am assuming is the aforementioned power supply noise at 120 Hz. So what starts at average to better than average performance, ends with almost tie with the worst measured.

When you say power supply noise, do you mean the main power transformer?

jonfitch

When you say power supply noise, do you mean the main power transformer?

If it was the power transformer making physical noise it wouldn't be showing up in a THD graph. Also a product at this price level wouldn't be exhibiting audible transformer noise anyway.

omad

If it was the power transformer making physical noise it wouldn't be showing up in a THD graph. Also a product at this price level wouldn't be exhibiting audible transformer noise anyway.
Yeah, I get that. I did mean electrical 'noise' as referred to in the review.

Top Bottom