• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-596 Receiver Review

petebone

Can you snap some pictures of the front panel area inside of the unit so I can see what you are fa
I actually think that the CD Direct button is what is causing issues. I won't really use it anyway so I think I'm good. We will see. I really want this to work out because I really like how this receiver sounds.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually think that the CD Direct button is what is causing issues. I won't really use it anyway so I think I'm good. We will see. I really want this to work out because I really like how this receiver sounds.
When cleaning the switches and controls they are all done at the same time. This might necessitate the removal of the front panel to get at the switches and controls. It's not as bad as it appears as it really is only a few pieces and then voila the front panel is in hand. A word of warning you do not have a super high powered amp there but if a switch or potentiometer causes a <SNAP!> sound that can sometimes take out a tweeter.

petebone

When cleaning the switches and controls they are all done at the same time. This might necessitate the removal of the front panel to get at the switches and controls. It's not as bad as it appears as it really is only a few pieces and then voila the front panel is in hand. A word of warning you do not have a super high powered amp there but if a switch or potentiometer causes a <SNAP!> sound that can sometimes take out a tweeter.
Got it. Do you think I am ok since I am running the Yamaha through some 4 ohm impedance speakers? My assumption is that if I don't crank the volume up to a ridiculous amount I should be ok, but might as well check. Thanks.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it. Do you think I am ok since I am running the Yamaha through some 4 ohm impedance speakers? My assumption is that if I don't crank the volume up to a ridiculous amount I should be ok, but might as well check. Thanks.
Not from theory but from experience at a low level simply leaves more dynamic headroom available for the peak power to zap a tweeter. So not safer and if anything as deadly.

violao

Ugh. I think I spoke too soon. I was listening to a CD and when I turned the volume down, the music sounded muffled. It came back to normal in a few seconds but this stinks.
Oh, noooo!!! I am so sorry you are having a spot of trouble here with your rig. I have read the threads subsequent threads in reply below and I do not see much bad advice. I am a bit more brutish with my repairs because I have had 2 years of electronics in high school and 3 more in college. The innards of devices do not frighten me too much. When I were in college selling Hi-Fi at a small mom-and-pop hi-fi shop, Brian the repair dude, who was just about my age, and was not particularly afraid to beat a device into submission. I used to watch him like a hawk to gain as much perspective on repairs as possible. I have used Deoxit in a wide range of gear and have never had any adverse effects on the electronics. Look at the design of the compone to see where a quick spray can be sprayed into the component. Work that component switch or pot vigorously several times with the power off to allow the lubricant to do its thing. The chemicals are designed to seep into the devices. Many times when a device has been on my repair bench, I have let it sit overnight to let the chemicals seep in. Good luck with this repair.

petebone

Oh, noooo!!! I am so sorry you are having a spot of trouble here with your rig. I have read the threads subsequent threads in reply below and I do not see much bad advice. I am a bit more brutish with my repairs because I have had 2 years of electronics in high school and 3 more in college. The innards of devices do not frighten me too much. When I were in college selling Hi-Fi at a small mom-and-pop hi-fi shop, Brian the repair dude, who was just about my age, and was not particularly afraid to beat a device into submission. I used to watch him like a hawk to gain as much perspective on repairs as possible. I have used Deoxit in a wide range of gear and have never had any adverse effects on the electronics. Look at the design of the compone to see where a quick spray can be sprayed into the component. Work that component switch or pot vigorously several times with the power off to allow the lubricant to do its thing. The chemicals are designed to seep into the devices. Many times when a device has been on my repair bench, I have let it sit overnight to let the chemicals seep in. Good luck with this repair.
I did a little bit of extra cleaning inside but I am too afraid to press that CD Direct button again. So far, everything has been working fine and it's not like I want to use the CD Direct feature anyway. I am good for right now.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I did a little bit of extra cleaning inside but I am too afraid to press that CD Direct button again.
Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if that switch were to start behaving itself again after a bunch of exercise.

On a side note, I would probably use "CD Direct" on just about anything but a CD player. The input amps tend to break a bit of a sweat if subjected to 2Vrms+ levels. It is perfect for portable players, onboard audio or if you have a DAC with variable output and/or usually have substantial headroom in the digital chain (e.g. avid user of volume normalization like ReplayGain).

RoyRoyRoy

I have this amp...albeit in storage right now as I'm still using my Sony STR-6800SD. I do remember that for the Yamaha, the button for the memory presets are tiny little switches, and I was able to get them working by rapidly pressing them hundreds of times over and over again. So, with the Amp off, try pressing that button a hundred time or so, after spraying contact cleaner or not! Or find a toddler or child and tell them to just press this button over and over again. Pressing the buttons is what these were made for. So just do it! :)

violao

I have this amp...albeit in storage right now as I'm still using my Sony STR-6800SD. I do remember that for the Yamaha, the button for the memory presets are tiny little switches, and I was able to get them working by rapidly pressing them hundreds of times over and over again. So, with the Amp off, try pressing that button a hundred time or so, after spraying contact cleaner or not! Or find a toddler or child and tell them to just press this button over and over again. Pressing the buttons is what these were made for. So just do it! :)
Also, compressed air is your friend to blow any carbon debris away from the switch. Good luck!

violao

Someone has a RX-595 near me for $50. Hmmm....
Show up with $40. But $50 is worth it. It is a great unit that listen to everyday. I think this review has inflated prices. I picked mine up off Facebook Marketpkace for $35. I ended up picking up 2 more Yamaha receivers $35 and $40. 2 are deployed and I have a hot spare.

AVRs lose relevance because of video switching which I could care less about.

I also rescued an Onkyo 5.1 110-wpc from Goodwill $25 that is deployed in my bedroom home studio for reference listening.

petebone

Show up with $40. But $50 is worth it. It is a great unit that listen to everyday. I think this review has inflated prices. I picked mine up off Facebook Marketpkace for $35. I ended up picking up 2 more Yamaha receivers $35 and $40. 2 are deployed and I have a hot spare.

AVRs lose relevance because of video switching which I could care less about.

I also rescued an Onkyo 5.1 110-wpc from Goodwill $25 that is deployed in my bedroom home studio for reference listening.
I have a RX-596 already but having a 595 as a cheap backup is something I am thinking about doing.

Top Bottom