• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RH-5Ma Review (On-ear Headphone)

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ha! These are ANCIENT! :D I think they were released 30 years ago and remember owning a pair around 2004/2005. I think I paid €50 for it. Guess I liked them because I used them often enough for them to break in half after a few years. :p

I guess the Yamaha HPH-MT5 is their current-day alternative model? I have been curious about how their studio "flagship" would measure, the HPH-MT8.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. As well as these did, and as much as I love Yamaha, I just can't get on board with this aesthetic.

parnarules

Thanks Amir for reviewing the RH5Mas and glad to see they got a recommendation! Love these headphones, I have been using them for years, for mixing duties mainly as they translate very well. Despite looking fragile they are very durable and can take quite a lot of abuse. Because the cable is so long, I have -accidently- stepped on it or pulled it many times thinking they would stop working but here they are, as good as new.

In the UK they can be found new for 45 pounds (https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yamaha-rh5ma-headphones).

There is one thing I don't like about them though. The earpads are flacky and original replacement pads can only be bought from Japan. The non-original ones that I've tried from eBay/Amazon are trash (poor quality and uncomfortable) and Brainwavz don't sell compatible ones. If you know of any earpads that could work, please let me know, I'm desperate.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is one thing I don't like about them though. The earpads are flacky and original replacement pads can only be bought from Japan. The non-original ones that I've tried from eBay/Amazon are trash (poor quality and uncomfortable) and Brainwavz don't sell compatible ones. If you know of any earpads that could work, please let me know, I'm desperate.
I thought I read in one of the QA on Amazon that they are the same Sony's.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Yamaha RH5Ma supra aural (on-ear) headphones. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $158 from Amazon including free shipping.

I have the black version and is a reasonable looking headphone for the class:

View attachment 139406

It comes with a rather long and flexible cord as you kind of see in the picture.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Being an on ear headphone, mounting this on the fixture's artificial ear is a challenge. Exactly where do you position this on the ear? I made a guess, performed a set of measurements. Then I listened. It sounded nothing like the measurements! During listening tests I realized that there is a sweet spot for tonality and bass as you shift the headphones forward and back on your ear. So I went back to the fixtured and optimized it the same way. This time objective and subjective correlation was much better but still, be on guard that what you see is approximate. And that you may wear them differently than I did for both measurements/listening tests.

Yamaha RH-5Ma ohm Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:

View attachment 139407

Step back and take off your glasses if you are wearing them and you see that the overall compliance to our preference curve is actually pretty good. Between 60 Hz and 4 kHz, we are very close considering the accuracy of measurements. Past that all the peaks exceed our curve so likely the sound is accentuated in the highs. Bass is good and only sub-bass may need a boost:

View attachment 139408

We have somewhat problematic distortion in the middle of the important audible band:
View attachment 139409

View attachment 139410

Fortunately we need to pull down the response some in that region so maybe we can improve on this.

Group delay is not very revealing other than pointing out the kink in response around 410 Hz is real:

View attachment 139411

Impedance is flat and low:
View attachment 139412

Sensitivity is high though so you should be able to use just about anything to drive these headphones:

View attachment 139413

Yamaha RH-5Ma Listening Tests and Equalization
As I noted in the preface, my first impression of this headphone was, "hey, these sound correct!" Yes, there was a hint of brightness but otherwise, I didn't even feel like applying equalization to them. Still, I thought I fix a few things in the response and this is what I got:

View attachment 139414

The sound now is delightful! I don't know how it manages it but there are also spatial qualities. There is plenty of bass response and dynamic range is excellent. I am able to almost vibrate my ear lobes at max volume for the second or two I pushed it there!

Conclusions
Here I go again, misjudging a headphone by just looking at it. I read that it was a "studio headphone" and chuckled thinking I will find a ton of response problem. Not so. Compliance is very good despite our challenges in measuring this class of headphones. If you can tolerate a bit of brightness, it works fine out of the box. With equalization, the sound goes to the next level, definitely satisfying your audiophile desires.

I am going to recommend the Yamaha RH-5Ma. It is much better than it looks especially with equalization.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

ASR Review HP

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues

Good L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.
Default Harman curve

Score no EQ: 81.5
Score with EQ: 92.5

Code:
Yamaha RH-5Ma APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July082021-104902

Preamp: -7 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 29.83 Hz Gain 6.96 dB Q 0.95
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 139.32 Hz Gain -1.29 dB Q 1.15
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 815.13 Hz Gain 4.39 dB Q 2.19
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2457.10 Hz Gain 4.98 dB Q 1.48
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5074.45 Hz Gain -4.50 dB Q 4.83
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 10061.07 Hz Gain -5.04 dB Q 0.84

Yamaha RH-5Ma Score EQ Flat@HF.png

Harman curve -1.5dB@HF

Score no EQ: 74.6
Score Amirm: 85.3

Yamaha RH-5Ma APO EQ -1.5dB@HF 96000Hz.png

Attachments

• Yamaha RH-5Ma APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    371 bytes · Views: 73

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Yamaha has a history of partnering with headphone manufacturers and putting their name/branding on it. The 'Pro#00' line is one example (I have the Pro500).

This unit looks [almost] -identical- to the Phonon headphones I have; cable, length, headband (edit, I see the difference now in the Yamaha branded one), Y bracket, cup size, cup back, pad style and crinkling. (I have both portable and desktop/studio variants of the same line; I forget the model numbers). Pretty decent. But hardly anyone knows their name. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if Yamaha rebrand them as this; will probably sell better under their name too.

Ah, easy to find. I have a strong suspicion this Yamaha started its life as this:

https://phononstore.com/products/smb-02-headphones
The resemblance is pretty superficial IMO -- and of course the price is much higher.

Bernard23

Ha! These are ANCIENT! :D I think they were released 30 years ago and remember owning a pair around 2004/2005. I think I paid €50 for it. Guess I liked them because I used them often enough for them to break in half after a few years. :p

I guess the Yamaha HPH-MT5 is their current-day alternative model? I have been curious about how their studio "flagship" would measure, the HPH-MT8.
+1 for the MT8, been looking at these for some time.

Bernard23

Whilst (re) searching MT8 and MT5 options, I found a pair of the RH5MA new for £39, so ordered them without hesitation. I'm pretty sure they won't sound like my 325e, or Hemp for that matter, the issue is whether my head shape sits within a close enough SD of the harman curve HRTF and whether I "like" the sound of neutral assuming this to be true.

Bernard23

Quick update, just acquired the HPH-MT5. Initial impressions out of the box (they are brand new, though bought used from ebay seller for £37!) compated to the RH-M5a:

- Less bright (and much less than Senn HD560S)
- More detailed (same as HD560S, maybe even more so, once you realise the less bright upper mid / treble isn't masking details)
- Extended bass, less one noted than RHs, and louder / more thump than HD560s
- Bigger soundstage - sounds very similar to the HD560s, really good for a closed back.

I'm really trying not to get carried away with NHD novelty, but these are very impressive, even at the £75 or so new, let alone the price I paid.

Top Bottom