• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RH-5Ma Review (On-ear Headphone)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Yamaha RH5Ma supra aural (on-ear) headphones. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $158 from Amazon including free shipping.

I have the black version and is a reasonable looking headphone for the class:

Yamaha RH-5Ma review on ear studio headphone.jpg

It comes with a rather long and flexible cord as you kind of see in the picture.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Being an on ear headphone, mounting this on the fixture's artificial ear is a challenge. Exactly where do you position this on the ear? I made a guess, performed a set of measurements. Then I listened. It sounded nothing like the measurements! During listening tests I realized that there is a sweet spot for tonality and bass as you shift the headphones forward and back on your ear. So I went back to the fixtured and optimized it the same way. This time objective and subjective correlation was much better but still, be on guard that what you see is approximate. And that you may wear them differently than I did for both measurements/listening tests.

Yamaha RH-5Ma ohm Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:

Yamaha RH-5Ma Frequency Response Measurements.png

Step back and take off your glasses if you are wearing them and you see that the overall compliance to our preference curve is actually pretty good. Between 60 Hz and 4 kHz, we are very close considering the accuracy of measurements. Past that all the peaks exceed our curve so likely the sound is accentuated in the highs. Bass is good and only sub-bass may need a boost:

Yamaha RH-5Ma relative Frequency Response Measurements.png

We have somewhat problematic distortion in the middle of the important audible band:
Yamaha RH-5Ma relative distortion vs Frequency Response Measurements.png

Yamaha RH-5Ma THD distortion vs Frequency Response Measurements.png

Fortunately we need to pull down the response some in that region so maybe we can improve on this.

Group delay is not very revealing other than pointing out the kink in response around 410 Hz is real:

Yamaha RH-5Ma Group Delay vs Frequency Response Measurements.png

Impedance is flat and low:
Yamaha RH-5Ma impedance vs Frequency Response Measurements.png

Sensitivity is high though so you should be able to use just about anything to drive these headphones:

most efficient over ear headphone review.png

Yamaha RH-5Ma Listening Tests and Equalization
As I noted in the preface, my first impression of this headphone was, "hey, these sound correct!" Yes, there was a hint of brightness but otherwise, I didn't even feel like applying equalization to them. Still, I thought I fix a few things in the response and this is what I got:

Yamaha RH-5Ma equalization parametric EQ.png

The sound now is delightful! I don't know how it manages it but there are also spatial qualities. There is plenty of bass response and dynamic range is excellent. I am able to almost vibrate my ear lobes at max volume for the second or two I pushed it there!

Conclusions
Here I go again, misjudging a headphone by just looking at it. I read that it was a "studio headphone" and chuckled thinking I will find a ton of response problem. Not so. Compliance is very good despite our challenges in measuring this class of headphones. If you can tolerate a bit of brightness, it works fine out of the box. With equalization, the sound goes to the next level, definitely satisfying your audiophile desires.

I am going to recommend the Yamaha RH-5Ma. It is much better than it looks especially with equalization.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Yamaha RH-5Ma Frequency Response.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 190

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -5.4 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 52 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 4924 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 5.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 8181 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 12400 Hz Gain -8.0 dB Q 4.0
To import into your favorite PEQ app, enter it manually.
Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Impressed! No wonder why I still like my MT220s even after 7 1/2 years :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprisingly good considering you can get them new from 60$/€, but on the other hand its a Japanese company and even more Yamaha, which still have some pride in what they make...

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Seems like the $10 Sony MDR-ZX110 have still got these beat. Or am I mistaken?

3125b

Major Contributor
158$? They look cheaper than the 10$ Sony ones.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have a pair of these, and I agree they are not bad at all. I guess I have found the motivation to order new pads for them. Mine disintegrated in only a few years.

DanTheMan

I actually had the same experience with these in a studio: at first glance I thought “goodness, such crappy gear in a studio… for shame”. Then I used them and thought they were perfect in spite of the fact that I didn’t want them to be. I made excuses that I was just in a strange environment and listening to live instruments that I was unfamiliar with. I’m happy to have been wrong in the way I was thinking and right in the way I was hearing. The producer/mixer that has a superb ear said these were the most neutral he had heard for the money. When I left I was still sure that I was just crazy and his confidence was swaying my perception(of course I was the one who brought it up). You can’t judge a book by looking at the cover.

m8o

Forum Donor
Yamaha has a history of partnering with headphone manufacturers and putting their name/branding on it. The 'Pro#00' line is one example (I have the Pro500).

This unit looks [almost] -identical- to the Phonon headphones I have; cable, length, headband (edit, I see the difference now in the Yamaha branded one), Y bracket, cup size, cup back, pad style and crinkling. (I have both portable and desktop/studio variants of the same line; I forget the model numbers). Pretty decent. But hardly anyone knows their name. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if Yamaha rebrand them as this; will probably sell better under their name too.

Ah, easy to find. I have a strong suspicion this Yamaha started its life as this:

https://phononstore.com/products/smb-02-headphones

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Nice to see. I'd buy a pair forthwith (Yamaha fanboy that I be -- if it weren't for the fact that I just don't like wearing headphones. :(
Yamaha's "Orthodynamic" (planar radiator) HP-1,2,3 headphones of the 1970s (later rechristened YH-1,2,3 -- allegedly due to Hewlett-Packard's objection to Yamaha's original nomenclature) were pretty darned good for their time. I still have the HP-2s I bought way, way back when (1977, give or take) as my $50 short-term solution to being unable to afford a decent pair of loudspeakers. They still sound pretty good -- although they're fragile at this point; the top (adjustment) band has predictably deteriorated (although the internet offers recipes to replace/rehabilitate 'em).

1625607730283.png

(borrowed image of a pair of HP-2)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amazing stuff, Amir! How can I drop ship you the Koss KPH30i's for review?
Appreciate the offer. No need though as I have bought one per Amazon. Assuming I can find it :), I will measure it.

phoenixsong

I remember the producer saying he got several of them for $45/ea. I have no idea where he got them, but I doubt it was Japan as I was in Sacramento, CA.
It couldn't have been through Amazon JP, could it? (not sure if they have prime shipping options or occasional sales)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember the producer saying he got several of them for $45/ea. I have no idea where he got them, but I doubt it was Japan as I was in Sacramento, CA.
It couldn't have been through Amazon JP, could it? (not sure if they have prime shipping options or occasional sales)

@mac said he got them from zzounds for basically that same price in 2006...

Fyi. These are circa 2006. Still sound great, and apparently operate like new.

index.php

And Yamaha's US site says they are discontinued...

DtgJDqM.png

So Amazon.com's price is probably just their algorithms running amok now that stock is low.

Top Bottom