• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-N803 Smart Receiver Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The only other two that I am aware of are the Denon DRA-800H and Elac DS-A101. Are either of them currently in the queue for review?
No, no one has offered them for testing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any chance you will evaluate the room correction on this guy - YPAO?

• YPAO™ – Yamaha’s acoustic optimizer with Precision EQ, Volume, and Reflected Sound Control
This one did not come with a measurement mic so can't. But I do have my own Yamaha AVR and will test it there.

ranrt

I wonder how this new yami sounds compare to my Adcom 545mk2 plus GFP 565 preamp.
Like your review Amir.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have the schematics for the Preamp section of the R-Sxxx series. The "Pure Direct mode" is a model of simplicity. Does anyone have the schematics for the R-Nxxx series? It would be interesting to compare ...

Not sure about what you mean, "a model of simplicity". Consider the "direct" signal in the R-Sxxx (same IC as the A-Sxxx) is running through this (another obsolete AVR chip):
1591424417118.png

Here's an RN-402. The RN-402D and the RN-301 use the same front end. Nothing to get excited about in terms of fidelity.

Note: I haven't got an R-N803 schematic at hand. It may use a better front end. It may not. Based on all the other schematics I have, I doubt it will be much different, but anyone with an 803 schematic can check it out.
1591422660537.png

Here is the IC block. Note, it's another obsolete AVR part used for this receiver:
1591422760189.png

Notice the maximum input voltage:
1591423109476.png

Everything goes through this $1.39 part...
1591423042814.png

The A-Sxxx amplifiers use equally horrible parts and mess around with unnecessary buffer stages for the CD input along gain stages to make up for the losses that occur in the electronic input/vol switching ICs.

They are generally disappointing when compared to what Yamaha was capable of in the past.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
...In my setup it makes a world of difference switching pure direct on and off with YPAO being preferred by myself and family. There are not a lot of 2.1 receivers out there with auto DSP...

Which has better sound to you and family? Pure direct or YPAO. With music.

Asked to ask, how do music recordings sound with acoustic instrumentation?

Modern recordings, so digitally adulterated and battered, is another field. There I suppose that YPAO wins.

Last edited:

YogiN

Forum Donor
We prefer ypao as it tames the brightness of the Omni 60 speakers. My Hope is that I can move to a new home with a dedicated listening room within the next year and try out a pair of Elac DBR62s or some other speakers with a more favorable frequency response and use pure direct instead of ypao. For now the Mirage speakers do so many good things in open living room kitchen and dining areas with their omnidirectional sound that I doubt anything else can do a better job from such a compromised location.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
For now the Mirage speakers do so many good things in open living room kitchen and dining areas with their omnidirectional sound that I doubt anything else can do a better job from such a compromised location.

The Mirage Omni range were great products. Did it all end up a casualty when Mirage was absorbed into Klipsch back in 2006?

Haskil

Forum Donor
Thank You for the test ! I hope than you can test YPAO.

YogiN

Forum Donor

Asked to ask, how do music recordings sound with acoustic instrumentation?

Modern recordings, so digitally adulterated and battered, is another field. There I suppose that YPAO wins.

Since I exclusively listen to classical music I don't think I can give you an accurate answer to your question. But I'm VERY happy with how this current combination renders the human voice. I listen to Opera all day with no fatigue.

Last edited:

YogiN

Forum Donor
The Mirage Omni range were great products. Did it all end up a casualty when Mirage was absorbed into Klipsch back in 2006?
They did indeed. From my understanding Mirage was the number one selling speaker in the world at that time due to their success in outlets like Best buy. Too bad they just sat on that technology. I'm sure that it's more expensive to produce that ufo looking Omni design then it is to make the Klipsch speakers that replaced them in that segment.

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Since I exclusively listen to classical music I don't think I can give you an accurate answer to your question. But I'm VERY happy with how this current combination renders the human voice. I listen to Opera all day with no fatigue.
That is very impressive... I get fatigued about 2 minutes into the overture! On every pair of speakers I've ever owned, and almost every opera I've tried listening to. ;) OK, that's mostly a simple difference of taste in music - however, I can easily understand and agree with the sentiment. If speakers really nail the vocal range... it's much easier to forgive other areas they fail miserably at.

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
Great review, as always! Although there is no real comptetiton on that field :=) (Adhering to the rule of praising Amir in first 100 posts).

Would it be sinful to add something like HiFiBerry DAC+ on line in, and then use Yami just as an amplifier, with Pure Direct turned on?

maty

Major Contributor

Just now,

Sutherland, Pavarotti & Richard Bonynge, Orchestra Of The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden - Donizetti - La Fille Du Régiment (1968), Vinyl x2, Decca, UK
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post6232292.html

https://www.discogs.com/Donizetti-S...era-House-Covent-Garden-Richa/release/9148824
https://www.amazon.com/Donizetti-Fille-Regiment-Joan-Sutherland/dp/B001JJX7M4/

Attachments

• Donizetti-La-Fille-Du-Regiment-Sutherland-Pavarotti-Bonynge-ROHouse.jpg
    Donizetti-La-Fille-Du-Regiment-Sutherland-Pavarotti-Bonynge-ROHouse.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 124

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be interested in comparing this to some stereo amp/receiver from Pioneer, we had some multichannel previosly, but none pure stereo.
(e.g. similarly priced A-50DA or lower models as well)
Or comparison with horses form the same stable, like pro amps from PX / XP series..

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume there is as this is basically an AVR.

That is almost the case with the A-S801, from what I could see in the service manuals. The A-S801 would likely measure a little better (3 to 6 at the most higher in SINAD would be my guess) though as implementation seems a little better.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can it be assumed that Pure Direct mode has a similar effect on the A-SXXX models as the R-NXXX models or are they too different to compare? Does the R-N803 have the same DAC stage as the A-S801? I just got a A-S501 for a good deal and am looking at the best settings/path for it.

The ES9006 and the 9010 K2M are very comparable, one is 4 dB better in DR, and the other 4 dB better in THD+N.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha states at its product page: Created by tradition and progress.

So it fits Amirs findings like this:

Those nice vertical controls are loose and have nowhere near the great feel of the 1970s gear with their solid mechanical selectors.
Created by tradition

Those nice vertical controls are loose and have nowhere near the great feel of the 1970s gear with their solid mechanical selectors.
Created by progress

:)

Desmo

There are not a lot of 2.1 receivers out there with auto DSP. The only other two that I am aware of are the Denon DRA-800H and Elac DS-A101. Are either of them currently in the queue for review? That would be an interesting comparison.[/QUOTE]

The Denon DRA-800H doesn't have auto DSP to my knowledge.

Top Bottom