• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha NS1000 help and advice

Goodman

I blew my Yamaha NS 1000 because of the volume control on my computer based dsp sent 4.5 volts to the 300W amp on opening. Fortunately its the crossover that blew, The speakers seem to be OK. Is this a frequent thing to happen? Should I repair the crossover resistors and caps, or tri-amplify the drivers direct with a analog crossover. I don't want to use a dsp crossover any more.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your assessment is correct, have a qualified technician repair the passive crossovers. I'm sure the part(s) that failed are available or equivalent parts are available.

You can always play around with bypassing the network and going analog or digital (go DSP, just use a reputable brand of physical hardware) after you fix them.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My latest system configuration with NS-1000 (not NS-1000M) can be found here.

Before going into my present full active setup, I have first renovated/moved the LC-network and the attenuators into outer box as shared here.

Please refer to my post here for the differences between YAMAHA NS-1000 and NS-1000M.

I would like to suggest you, for much better total sound quality, making/keeping your NS-1000 in fully active configuration by eliminating/bypassing all the LC-network and the attenuators; of course you need protection capacitors for midrange Be-domes and Be-tweeters just like I do (please refer to my post here).

My start-up (ignition) sequences and shutdown sequences shared here would be also your reference.

The pros and merits of "HiFi integrated amplifiers" in DSP multichannel setup can be found here, here, and here.
This post would be of your reference for selection of "reasonable/affordable" small amplifier(s) driving tweeters and super-tweeters.

And, you would please find here (on my project thread) and here (remote independent thread post) the Hyperlink Index of my multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo project using NS-1000 as well as some of my related posts on remote threads.

Richard42

Hi, I'm new to this group, some amazing information here! My father has gifted me his NS1000M speakers, that I feel like I've been waiting for my whole life. Anyway, they are in need of some cosmetic attention, and from what I have read on various forums there are some useful upgrades that can be done to bring them up to date. The speakers are in perfect working order as far as I'm aware. Can anyone suggest a reputable service centre in the UK where I could get this work done? Many thanks in advance

Richard42

I am based in Ireland, but the speakers are in Grimsby, I will be travelling over to collect. I am happy to take them wherever I need to, within reason :)

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This guy did an amazing refinish job on his NS 1000Ms He seems to be in the car sound business. I don't know where.

The original poster should use this ocassion to triamp his NS1000. It might well be more economical to repair the existing crossover which might have only one part failed.

It is more economical to tri amp than to buy a Troels Gravesen kit or especially two.

I prefer analog electronic crossovers over dsp ones for exactly the reason the OP mentioned. Sometimes digital stuff just puts out full voltage for no particular reason. Analog can too but I think it happens less often. Whether analog or digital crossover is used it is wise to install speaker protection on yamaha unobtainium drivers. This can be one or more of several methods. 1) Properly selected coupling capacitors 2) speaker relays 3) FET series "switches" as advocated by Neurochrome 4) small fast blow fuses. These all go between the amplifier and the driver. They will also protect against an amplifier going to one of the rails which happens too.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
I know 5 guys with ns1000, all post on the uk Audioflat.co.uk forum, mine are the least modded of that group, quarter cut Oak veneered, light xo mods and Raal ribbon tweeters replacing the yamaha units.

A couple of them had work done by Paul Coupe of Reference Fidelity Components. He has a good handle on the xo and a fine reputation for both his electronics and woodworking skill.

Top Bottom