• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha NS-6490 3-way Budget Speaker Review

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"How anyone can speak against the sound or build quality is a wonder of Amazon." (15 seconds into the video)

WTF? Seriously, I have run across a few youtube videos that are just a computer voice, why are people doing that? Just trying to get page hits?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Would that be worthwile, given the cabinet? Or are you thinking of replacing the cabinet? My knowledge of DIY speaker is quite limited, but i would imagine that modifying the crossover would only provide a modest improvement. Many of the issues seem to be caused by cabinet resonances and cancelations due to driver position?
I'd try to salvage and improve the original cabinet, though it looks like they may have a small ridge going on around the baffle. Not good, but still far less bad than some '70s designs, and nothing that couldn't be smoothed out with some epoxy putty or something if need be. Having a minimum of woodworking skills is definitely recommended for a project like this.

That reminds me - I'll have to check whether Amir was measuring with grilles on or off. Those would be likely to rather mess things up if left on (or rather, their frame). Hmm, nothing on the picture, no mention in the text.

EDIT -
WTF? Seriously, I have run across a few youtube videos that are just a computer voice, why are people doing that? Just trying to get page hits?
Yup. Ad money 'n all that. Can't be making very much, but I guess it depends on how much of these you put out...

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
"How anyone can speak against the sound or build quality is a wonder of Amazon." (15 seconds into the video)
Thanks for that. I had a good chuckle.

I liked the fact that these were compared to:
"For reference my other system is using Polk RTI8 towers, a polk CSIA6 center, and Polk monitor rear speakers."

Here's the bigger brother, RTI10 tower measurements:
1603740501980.png

Yikes! o_O

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
.....That reminds me - I'll have to check whether Amir was measuring with grilles on or off. Those would be likely to rather mess things up if left on (or rather, their frame). Hmm, nothing on the picture, no mention in the text....

This time info of no grill is listed in Amir's spinorama plot, mini copy below :)..

AnalogSteph.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Dunno for sure... There's a LOT of videos like this -- and the junk just keeps on accumulating in an ever increasing rate. We don't have a good spam/junk filter in youtube yet though.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Thanks for that. I had a good chuckle.

I liked the fact that these were compared to:
"For reference my other system is using Polk RTI8 towers, a polk CSIA6 center, and Polk monitor rear speakers."

Here's the bigger brother, RTI10 tower measurements:
View attachment 89723
Yikes! o_O

Wow, I have actually heard the Polk Rti8 and they are quite decent sounding, I mean like very clean and clear, but with just a bit too much treble. But Far better deep bass and just overall way more Hi-Fi sounding overall.!

Reactions: wje
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm You need a new panther. One with no arms, legs or a head. Or maybe just a pile of broken ceramic pieces.
My wife forced me to store them in a way that more won't break. So it will be a while before that happens!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Ha ha great thanks for the review Amir you a hero put pro objective numbers on these acoustic reviews and get your ears charmed with false flavour additives to swing the credit card :p...

About worst resonances or beamwidth or if NS-6490 is the most bad on axis response i had a look among 94 reviews and did find 22 reviews that on paper could look say over avarage bad or showroom/creditcard geared or track material content/genre sensitive or possibility to be a magnet to love headless panthers, Polk T15 and Bic America DV62si looks serious challenge NS-6490, now i dont say any of those 22 objective plots cant sound good for whatever owner or room but on paper they deviate some few bits from a ideal.

Because my charts use not more than 30dB span on Y-axis think could lead to someone could suspect that is to get the 22 comparisons looks worse than they are so let me explain that is not the case, ratio of the X/Y scales is exactly same as Amir's AP unit use presenting head phone curves its just Y-axis there is 50dB and mine is 30dB but ratio is the same, and as proof made below animation for the best objective performers in the preference rating list..

Based on Amir's shared spindata but for comparison the sensitivity is adjusted for 200-400Hz region @85dB..
View attachment 89696

Based on Amir's shared spindata but for comparison the sensitivity is adjusted for 200-400Hz region @85dB..
View attachment 89697
For some reason, I am reminded of the seismograph traces of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My wife forced me to store them in a way that more won't break. So it will be a while before that happens!

I mean... there is Photoshop, y'know?
We'd never know, and the Mrs. would still be happy.
We're here for you, bro'!

:cool:

PS I googled jagged pink ceramic shards and this was the best I could do.
1603750690147.png

PPS Maybe just a Pink Panther Pinata?

1603750716645.png

OK, I'll stop now...

The Jniac

Looking at these measurements fills me a similar kind of horror and disgust to the kind felt by those investigating war crimes and health inspectors who have to examine carnival food trucks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am surprised these aren't better, since they're Yamahas. I agree there is no point in a three-way like this.

I think they should bundle these with some double-sided tape and call them 'boom box speakers.' :facepalm: They could also save a little money on spring terminals by just having like 10 feet of red/black 18+ gauge wire coming out of the back of each one. ;)

wwenze

Major Contributor

Where's the one with just a head? Maybe an upside down head will be useful as a rating. And for Halloween.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I am surprised these aren't better, since they're Yamahas. I agree there is no point in a three-way like this.

I think they should bundle these with some double-sided tape and call them 'boom box speakers.' :facepalm: They could also save a little money on spring terminals by just having like 10 feet of red/black 18+ gauge wire coming out of the back of each one. ;)
My understanding is that these are just the latest revision of a cheap 3-way passive speaker design that's been kicking around since the '80s. 8" woofer, 4" mid, 3/4" tweeter (7/8" on the NS-6490), sealed enclosure. Looks like NS-A635A, NS-A636, NS-A638, NS-6390 were some previous examples.

If Circuit City was still a thing, you'd find these on a shelf next to the Sony SS-CS5, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, Bose 301 Series V, and assorted Polk and Klipsch speakers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Panthers can still be found on ebay. If you keep an eye out, you may find some replacements or different ones.
I have bought a few that way. Good ones are expensive though and shipping often quite high. Still, I look once a month to see if there is some I should buy. Some don't work for reviews (candle holders and such).

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom