• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha NS 1000 experiences

Els

After reading so many enthusiastic comments on these speakers, I decided to join the club and bought a very nice used pair. After listening for a few weeks I was still very impressed. Unfortunately I was using a Chord Mojo line out. This Dac does not mémorise the volume used, so on turning on the system I sent the full 4.5v onto a 300 w amp. The speakers blew, but fortunately the crossover (no fuse) protected the speakers. Must have been the resistors. I bought another pair just for the crossovers but in the meantime I tri-amplified the speakers with an analog active crossover and the results are quite good. Now I don't know whether to install the passive crossover or stay active, frankly without comparing the two A/B I can't tell which is best. Any advice from NS 1000 Owners?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Since you are already set up for tri-amping now, I would suggest upgrading the analog crossover to a DSP affair. (What are you using to measure with?) Analog crossovers are generally lacking the kind of flexibility need for speaker XO, though looking at the original passive XO as seen here, it seems the use of L-pads may have resulted in things working in a relatively textbook manner.

On the passive side, I would only add a series capacitor and some series resistance to both the midrange and tweeter and think about polyfuses for them, for basic protection and some current driving action. Depending on what kind of amplifiers you have on hand, you may want to give the tweeter even more series resistance than needed to hit an 88ish dB sensitivity, after all treble levels are generally quite low ('80s drum hits potentially excepted... ideally, peak output should be quite constant across the spectrum). That's part of the beauty of going active, you can even combine drivers that in a passive speaker would never have worked together on a sensitivity basis.

OP
E

Els

Since you are already set up for tri-amping now, I would suggest upgrading the analog crossover to a DSP affair. (What are you using to measure with?) Analog crossovers are generally lacking the kind of flexibility need for speaker XO, though looking at the original passive XO as seen here, it seems the use of L-pads may have resulted in things working in a relatively textbook manner.

On the passive side, I would only add a series capacitor and some series resistance to both the midrange and tweeter and think about polyfuses for them, for basic protection and some current driving action. Depending on what kind of amplifiers you have on hand, you may want to give the tweeter even more series resistance than needed to hit an 88ish dB sensitivity, after all treble levels are generally quite low ('80s drum hits potentially excepted... ideally, peak output should be quite constant across the spectrum). That's part of the beauty of going active, you can even combine drivers that in a passive speaker would never have worked together on a sensitivity basis.
Protecting the tweeter and mid with series resistance I will do. Although I have basic measuring equipment, calibration microphone and dated Behringer program I have done it all by hear, not very technical or precise but I have a lot of reference recordings and memories of having a band behind me. I hesitate to go DSP because, again the volume control is in the software, and I could easily blow my speakers again.

Top Bottom